WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I plan to attend the festival, then head north... maybe on the Monday (2th), but I'm flexible.

I'm planning to go to the Festival and start on the 22nd or 23rd of April. However, my nephew and his wife in Alexandria, VA are expecting a baby just around that time, so may be delayed in starting.

Starting NOBO from HF May 6th(ish). So stoked!! Can't wait to see y'all out there

I'm leaving from HF May 13th, I'm nervous that I'm going to miss the Flip Flop crowd and end up feeling really lonely. Part of the experience for me is meeting people.

Hey Meghanc,

Here are the numbers of hikers photographed at ATC last year on May 13:

8 nobos
    3 flip-floppers headed north starting in Harpers Ferry
    1 flip-flopper who had started in Georgia and had flipped up to Harpers Ferry from Franklin, NC to continue hiking northbound.
    3 section-hikers

And that's only the people who were long-distance hikers who stopped in at ATC. There are of course hikers out for shorter distances, too.

In time, more nobos will catch up with you--although it's not wise to try to keep up with them unless--or till that time-- it comes naturally. I can't guarantee there won't be times that you won't feel connected to the few thru-hikers around you, or that you won't find yourself between bubbles.

You have to be a strong and resilient person to be a successful flip-flopper. You are doing something different. Anytime people are part of a new movement there are people who will not understand. Some people will applaud and admire your choice, but some people won't get it. Some flip-floppers say that nobos were friendly and helpful when they started out and shared a lot of great tips that helped them learn quickly. Others say that nobos didn't accept flip-floppers as part of their tribe. You just have to be ready to hike your own hike and be proud of who you are and what you've decided to do.

If you're flip-flopping away, this resource might come in handy. This blog was written by a 2015 flip-flop thru-hiker and is loaded with tips and info.

https://appalachiantrailclarity.com/at-for-newbies/
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

Hi friends,
    I am starting a late flip flop the first week of July from either Harper's or just north around the Delaware water gap area. Sounds like most everyone else in this thread will be long gone but I look forward to hearing about your experience as I get ready to start!

We're starting on or about the 1st of May, and may start in Shenandoah northbound. Like stated earlier, we're hoping this schedule translates into better weather, and smaller crowds.
    Pete, Linda, and Scout...

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Hey Meghanc,

Here are the numbers of hikers photographed at ATC last year on May 13:

8 nobos
    3 flip-floppers headed north starting in Harpers Ferry
    1 flip-flopper who had started in Georgia and had flipped up to Harpers Ferry from Franklin, NC to continue hiking northbound.
    3 section-hikers

And that's only the people who were long-distance hikers who stopped in at ATC. There are of course hikers out for shorter distances, too.

In time, more nobos will catch up with you--although it's not wise to try to keep up with them unless--or till that time-- it comes naturally. I can't guarantee there won't be times that you won't feel connected to the few thru-hikers around you, or that you won't find yourself between bubbles.

You have to be a strong and resilient person to be a successful flip-flopper. You are doing something different. Anytime people are part of a new movement there are people who will not understand. Some people will applaud and admire your choice, but some people won't get it. Some flip-floppers say that nobos were friendly and helpful when they started out and shared a lot of great tips that helped them learn quickly. Others say that nobos didn't accept flip-floppers as part of their tribe. You just have to be ready to hike your own hike and be proud of who you are and what you've decided to do.
    I was at the ATC last May 13th after finishing a few days going into HF. No pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Is anybody doing Springer-Harpers nobo, then doing Katahdin - Harpers sobo?

Leaving in just a few weeks! I'm starting to get really excited and nervous!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++