WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2017 Flip Floppers Starting in HF NOBO.

Looking to do a week or two in 2017 starting in HF NOBO April 1. Was hoping to coordinate with flip flopping thru Hikers. Sign in!

The official kickoff is the 2nd weekend in April, so you'll be a couple of weeks early. Chances are good there will be a few others out there though. Also, there can be quite a bit of difference between the weather the first week of April and just a few weeks later.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm planning on leaving on my Flip Flop on April 16th.

Just learned that Flip-flop festival is scheduled for weekend of April 22-23rd, Earth Day weekend... I'm not sure I want to wait for that; I was already pushing back my date from early- to mid-April...

Im starting a 9 day section on Friday the last day of march NOBO out of HF.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmann View Post
    Just learned that Flip-flop festival is scheduled for weekend of April 22-23rd, Earth Day weekend... I'm not sure I want to wait for that; I was already pushing back my date from early- to mid-April...
    Don't start too early in April or you will arrive in New England during peak black fly season.

The blackflies this year where pretty tame. Don't know if it was a result of a mild winter or what, but we are due for serious bug season sooner or later.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I was planning a flip flop from HF starting the first week of May. I am hoping that I won't need to bring much cold weather gear with me.

I think I'm going to stick with the 16th as my start date. I believe it's Easter Sunday which might make it easier for my family to come with me to see me off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starting a through hike from HF NOBO on April 5 2017 with my brother. Then returning to HF in July to go SOBO to Springer Mtn......hoping for warmer weather using this flip flop

Default Flip Flop Festival

3rd Annual Flip Flop Festival

I plan on leaving the weekend of the festival which looks like it's going to be April 22-23, 2017.

I flip flopped this year. Another consideration: I started NOBO from HF May 8, summitted Katahdin on Aug 1, started SOBO from HF Aug 8. I was fortunate to link up with 2 other flip floppers up north. We all started SOBO together and stuck with each other the whole south. When we started south on Aug 8, there were only 4 or 5 super-fast SOBOs ahead of us (never met them) and 1 other flip flopper. The trail was completely abandoned, which was eerie after the north. A handful of fast SOBOs caught up & passed us, but for the most part we were alone for 2.5 months.

We were always well ahead of the bubble on the north leg, but there was always a constant low level population of thru hikers along with you. We all flip-flopped to avoid crowds, but we were surprised at how much we missed the people in the south and found it somewhat lonely. It would have been really bad without each other. Just keep that in mind - unless you take a very long break between halves, you will be doing the south way ahead of the small SOBO pack and you may enjoy that less than you think.

Your post really gave me something to think about. I am doing a solo flip-flop starting April 16 out of HF. When did you finish your hike at Springer? Maybe I should consider starting the 2nd half at Springer mid August but transportation and weather then becomes a huge factor. This may be a consideration once I reach that point in the middle of the hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My south half (Harpers Ferry to Springer) went from Aug 8 to Oct 25. We slowed down & smelled the roses somewhat. The "pure" NOBOs we hiked with up north assured us that after being tempered by The Whites and S Maine, we'd fly thru the south. The south was easier, but not to the extent we'd been lead to believe. The heat & humidity had a lot to do with that.

I believe the ATC's "template" head-start hike (flip-flipping around Harpers) does have you taking nearly a month off between Katahdin and starting SOBO, intending you to start south around Labor Day. That makes for a 6.5-7mo total hike time which was unacceptable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmann View Post
    Where did you hear this? Do you know where we can find information on the Flip Flop Festival 2017

Quote Originally Posted by goldielocks View Post
    Where did you hear this? Do you know where we can find information on the Flip Flop Festival 2017
    The link is in the original, but I will add it here also CLICK ME!

I just noticed you weren't quoting my original post. I would delete the previous comment if I could, because I didn't read it entirely and thought you were referring to my post. My apologies for the haste on my part. The link will still get you the information you desire

Quote Originally Posted by goldielocks View Post
    I asked the folks at the ATC. The news came from their response...

I'm planning on leaving from HF NOBO as soon as the festival concludes.

Looks like I'm going to be starting later than I planned: updating to Wednesday, April 26th.

I plan to attend the Festival, heading Nobo from HF on Sunday 4/23!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++