WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Selling Post/thread Etiquette

On some FS threads people sometimes jump into the discussion and add comments about the gear or pricing when they arent interested in the purchase. This seems inappropriate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    On some FS threads people sometimes jump into the discussion and add comments about the gear or pricing when they arent interested in the purchase. This seems inappropriate.
    Whether it's inappropriate or not depends on the thread. It's fairly common for spammers to show up and try to sell their junk. If a knowledgeable forum member keeps someone with less experience from being scammed, that's a win. At other times, people have tried to sell items at ridiculous prices and a few knowing members have pointed out much more affordable sources for the same product, again a win...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I've sold lots of items here on Whiteblaze. Most of the comments about my items for sale have been positive, such as "good deal" or "great piece of gear". Other comments might have been about a key piece of information I might have been neglecting to mention. I've always had great experiences and good success in selling items here. Thanks to this forum for having such a benefit.

...and negatively so.
    If you're not interested...take a hike!

Images

Guilty as charged, but I think it's an asset if the comments are about the gear and positive. I would welcome positive reinforcement - shows that others are happy with the particular item, unlike the actual seller who is dumping it. Plus, it keeps the post at the top of everyone's "new posts" page, another advantage for the seller. I don't see a negative.

I do refrain from making negative comments either about the item or the price. If I see a very grievous price gouging, I may send a private message to a newbe who has expressed interest - old timers are on their own.

I don't see a problem with positive comments. I recently sold something on here and several people commented both on the quality of the item and the fact that it was a really good deal. I appreciated their comments. I don't think negative comments are warranted. I also wouldn't think someone "talking up" an item that is truly not good quality should be done just to help someone sell it. JMHO
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Images

Query: If a so-called "negative" post is accurate and on topic, do you still consider it inappropriate? Are you calling for banning accurate posts? Perhaps (and I would agree) you really mean "false" and/or "off topic" posts should not be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    I don't think negative comments are warranted.
    Are sellers to be coddled? Can't handle being "offended"?

I too don't think unwarranted negative (or positive) comments are appropriate. But on the other hand, it'd be silly and perhaps even deceptive to paint a falsely rosy or falsely negative picture, wouldn't it?

Besides, one man's "negative" is another's "positive." It's often in the eye of the beholder.

Aren't we supposed to support a "free market"? And, a free market presumes and assumes all parties have complete knowledge. Otherwise, it isn't a free market. My question would be: why not? I don't like a rigged system.

WhiteBlaze marketplace etiquette should be "be nice and play fair." That means no stacking the deck.

I will say that I don't like "piling on" posts especially when one has no direct, personal knowledge about a product or vendor. I've certainly observed that and neither appreciate it nor value it as constructive. So, if we are going to have a "no negative posts" rule, I'd like to see it enforced uniformly or not have it at all.

Just my two cents.

P.S. I almost never post in nor send PMs about "for sale" threads. For whatever that is worth.

P.P.S. If there's some specific posts or thread that the OP might be referring to, I don't know what it is, so I am only speaking generally.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 10-19-2016 at 12:29.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I did once. The person was selling tyvek at a ridiculously expensive price.

Section Hiker

New word: "threadiquette"

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

everything I am selling here is in excellent- like new condition

and I'm selling this stuff at a YUUUUGE discount to new prices

because I would rather see some White Blaze hikers get some use from it then sit in my closet, which is overcrowded

I went crazy the last 2 years buying stuff during online sales, and have too much gear and clothing

and I've dropped from size Large to size Medium

anyways, check it out

I prefer selling here than craigslist or ebay

happy trails

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Query: If a so-called "negative" post is accurate and on topic, do you still consider it inappropriate? Are you calling for banning accurate posts? Perhaps (and I would agree) you really mean "false" and/or "off topic" posts should not be allowed?
    Well, I know If I were selling something, and folks started posting negative opinions on my sale thread, I would be ticked off. As you said, one person's negative is another person's positive, so it is up to each of us to make the determination.

Positive comments are not detrimental to the OP achieving their sale, negative may be. If you feel strongly about a product's negative points, I think it would be better to start a "gear review" thread independent of the "for sale" thread. Anyone looking to buy gear should be searching for reviews before buying, so should see it, particularly if they see "Review: "whatever gear"" in a heading.

Guess I just feel it's rude to try to stifle someone's sale, especially if it's just a personal opinion that you are basing the negativity on. If it's a relatively popular and accepted piece of gear, trying to kill the sale just because you don't like it is uncalled for. Supporting the seller is completely different.

At least that's my 2 cents worth.

That's life... this is a pretty nice place overall.

In minor defense of those that aren't just being a jerk:
    I've seen people chime in on a thread on accident thinking it's a discussion on the piece of gear that's for sale.
    And to be fair- some sellers set up the thread that way so they get more clicks.

Nobody likes a jerk, there's always a few, but I'm fine with keeping folks honest on both sides.

IMO, people posting in a FS ad that are not a party to the sell or buy is in most cases inappropriate. I saw one recently where someone jumped all over the pricing of an item, said you could get it on amazon for cheaper, etc. and it turned out to be a completely different model with other features that was much more expensive. Woops. Others discussing the newer model features vs. the old model being sold, etc. Many post an item with a price knowing that they will get lower offers. If it is not worth the asking price, offer lower or don't buy. Almost seems like those posts should be locked and let PM be the communication method.

Journal Entries

When I am buying "new" gear from a retailer such as REI, Campmor, or whoever I always read the reviews, both positive and negative. I have read some from people who haven't use the piece of gear in the manner in which it was intended to be used. But the retailer doesn't quash the negative comments. If someone is selling used or like new gear, it may should be accurately described, reason for selling should be listed, as well as pictures from various angles (i.e. front and back of clothing, tents should be setup and shown from all four sides, any damage should be both described and photographed in such a manner as to see exactly how badly damaged the item is. I don't like ads that say email for more photos. Why not just show it up front. That way you don't have to send out tons of emails and it shows potential buyers you are being up front with them from the start.
    Blackheart

People who post at full or more than full price should be exposed. I appreciate those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    People who post at full or more than full price should be exposed. I appreciate those posts.
    The reason for buying used gear in the first place is to save money and I suspect that virtually all of the folks buying gear on WB know how much the gear costs new or google the gear and figure out whether they are getting a good price or not. I have bought and sold things here in the past and my experience has been that potential buyers have researched the gear they are buying. I agree with the OP.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Whether it's inappropriate or not depends on the thread. It's fairly common for spammers to show up and try to sell their junk. If a knowledgeable forum member keeps someone with less experience from being scammed, that's a win. At other times, people have tried to sell items at ridiculous prices and a few knowing members have pointed out much more affordable sources for the same product, again a win...
    Yes. 100 times yes.

I also appreciate posts that point out how good something is.

There are offers on Whiteblaze that are better than good.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    The reason for buying used gear in the first place is to save money and I suspect that virtually all of the folks buying gear on WB know how much the gear costs new or google the gear and figure out whether they are getting a good price or not. I have bought and sold things here in the past and my experience has been that potential buyers have researched the gear they are buying. I agree with the OP.
    If this is true that everyone knows the price, then some sellers are purposely trying to sell for MRSP or above normal pricing. Why let people get away with that? Shouldn't we shame them for trying to take advantage of other hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    If this is true that everyone knows the price, then some sellers are purposely trying to sell for MRSP or above normal pricing. Why let people get away with that? Shouldn't we shame them for trying to take advantage of other hikers?
    I guess what I was saying in a polite way is that I think people here on WB aren't as dumb as you think they are and can figure it out pretty easily when someone is trying to screw them over.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++