WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The only problem I have with hoods is that I have a long neck and no one makes wool hoodies for tall people. Yje necks are too short!
    I am also not a fan of attached hoods. I prefer to have separate pieces, like a long fleece beanie (zpacks) and a super light (1oz) baklava that I can use multi purpose.

Soggybottom "Here is the set I have..."
    impressive list but holy smokes, $1354!!! That is a pretty hefty spend.

I think I may be in a different economic bracket,lol.

R1 hoody off ebay $98.

Marmot Essence off ebay $25

smartwool merino base bottoms REI garage sale, had to sew 1 rip. $15

smartwool merino top REI garge sale, sewed up two rips. $20

PEARL IZUMI thermal zip tights, had em for years from cycling but I think about $40 my cost, now about $110

REI Classic Sahara Convertible Pants REI garge sale, had to fix the zipper fly $10

My total is give or take about $208... it did take me 2 years to acquire these items though (not including the fleece tights I have had for 20 years)

I love how we all enjoy the same activity with such an economic diversity; don't get me wrong, I can afford to spend more but the search is all part of the fun for me.

P.S., pretty fancy kit Soggybottom!

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The only problem I have with hoods is that I have a long neck and no one makes wool hoodies for tall people. Yje necks are too short!
    I always have a gaiter for my neck. Or a buff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't need a hood Lands End half zip fleece is hard to beat for price and weight. 8oz for Large and about $20 on sale.

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...r/id_287462_59

I've hiked in medium base-layer + this + wind-shirt at 5F. At campsite also needed down jacket.

I picked up an Eastern Mountain Sports power stretch hoodie off an after season clearance rack for $40 right before I hiked the Long Trail in 2014. I have been using and abusing it since. It has holes, it has burn marks, it probably smells funky permanently, but it works great as a layering piece, has a good weight to it, perfoms very well, and has become one of my favorite pieces for anything I do. Hell my gf steals it all the time.

It is getting pretty beat up though. And it's starting to look too beat up for casual/social wear outside of some sort of outdoor/sporty activity. When it was new it was sleek enough to wear out with a t shirt under it.

I think I'll be looking for a replacement soon but I will not be buying a new power stretch at full price.

Im looking at the melanzana and ZPacks fleece offerings. I kinda want a full zip again, but don't really want one in just black. Alot of people really enjoy their melanzana stuff

Chattanooga, TN -An awesome town to live in

I struggled with the decision of what insulating layer to take for an early spring AT section. I figured my down jacket would be to hot to hike in, but possibly needed in camp in the evening. But I didn't want to carry the weight of a fleece jacket too. Then I happened to find a fleece vest at a discount store. $8 and only 11 oz's. Perfect to throw on during lunch h breaks or hike in if it turns winter again.

I wanted to add a Melenzana Micro Grid Hoodie for a while... but I am not into paying twice the normal retail price and I don't live near Colorado to buy in the store. Came close to dropping my REI dividend on a Patagonia R1. While browsing a local Old Navy I found the Go-Warm hoodie. It's a really nice micro grid hoodie with a quarter zip. Weight is just under 11 oz. Wore it on two recent multi day trips and fell in love with it. Vents easily, very warm, sleeves are a perfect length when down and stay up when pushed up. While others were adding layers I was fine with just a base layer and the hoodie. Likewise, when others were peeling layers I just unzipped and pushed up the sleeves.

Best part... it was advertised as $13.. but I got it on sale for $11. Went back and bought a second one.

Well, it’s been a few years with the R1; I love it! Stretchy, warm, ventilated, compact, quick drying, multi purpose, still looks great after a ton of use. I highly recommend.

Anyone else have a Columbia OutDry jacket? I read mixed reviews and had some REI dividends to spend so I tried one.I think I like it after a brief initial test but have not had enough real world experience with it to know for sure.
    Anybody else have one?I always have a fleece with me and wear the Out Dry as a wind/rain jacket unless I go with the Snugpack poncho and a Houdini Hybrid pertex wind jacket.Puffy down jacket always stays with the quilts.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 04-27-2019 at 13:55. Reason: off topic

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++