WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    So the R1 is 12.2 oz and the wool sweater is 23oz.
    Honestly the weight is a consideration but more the usefulness; I ONLY have used the sweater in camp as it is so warm but I can not be active in it without overheating. It is hard to move from a trusted piece to a new piece that "seems" too good to be true. So far for daily use this R1 is pretty great.

I have to admit... I carry a poncho also to hike in when rain is really coming down, although the marmot essence breathes pretty good it is no where as nice as my simple poncho.
    That's a whole nother story.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

ha,ha! Yes it is. Rain gear is a whole different subject... SO, back to this R1.

Wore it out last night in pouring rain at 50 degrees with just a t-shirt on underneath and my umbrella to shield the rain. Loved it! I have also been wearing it into work each, definitely more multi-purpose than the sweater.

Oh, and just an update- I made a mistake on when I am going out next: ONLY 12 days away!!!!!!!! WooHoo!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If a shirt is effective at blocking wind it won't breathe well either.
    Wayne

I have a Marmot Trail Wind hoody @ 4ozs and less than $50.I found out that if you use your breathable rain jacket for a wind jacket you will reduce it's lifetime by clogging up the pores with sweat and when you need it for rain protection it's about useless.If you can't pack an extra 3-4 ozs for a windshirt that will extend the life of a more expensive rain jacket then it's your loss.This UL thing just goes too far.I meet springtime NOBOs who have to leave the trail when a late spring cold spell arrives.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

OK, got the R1 full zip Medium fleece shirt and have tired it for a few evenings out. So far these are the things I have noticed:

1. This is a very thin, technical piece: when you hold it to the light you can see right through it. If there is a breeze you can feel it but without a breeze it is incredibly warm.
    2. Construction is top notch and is VERY comfortable for a close fitting piece; I could wear this right next to my bear skin it feels so nice.
    3. Super easy to slide my Marmot medium size Essence jacket over due to the smooth finish on the outside of the shirt.
    4. When I zip it all the way up it is still super comfy and I can zip it wide open for cooling.
    5. packs down WAY smaller than the old thick wool sweater... verdict is still not in about if it will keep me warm enough when the temps drop

In 2 weeks I will give it a full comparison against the "old wool sweater" and let those that have been on the fence about replacing their tried and true warmth layer with the new technology in on what i find.
    Here is a closer look at the fabric from the inside of the shirt:
    Attachment 36681
    Stay tuned.
    I don't see many using Patagonia's Dual Aspect Hoody.It's MSRP is $200+ but you can find them for $125 if you look around.It's made with 2 fabrics and can be used alone or under a shell if it's really cold.049.JPGThe front and sleeves use Polartec Power Shield,windproof and water resistant and Polartect Power Grid under the arms and on the back to breathe better and vent some heat.It has a balaclava type hood which fits under a helmet.Also the tighter fitting hood reduces flapping in high winds.It's also comfortable enough to sleep in if you need to.It is a bit heavy @18ozs. but you may be able to leave something else behind to compensate. I was wearing it here in Shining Rock Wilderness in late March when the temp was near 50* but 30-40mph winds added a wicked wind chill.All I had on underneath was a lightweight wool baselayer and was fine.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

So excited!!! I leave in the morning for my trip, I will post how the fleece worked for me when I get back. Looks like perfect sunny weather with highs at 60 and lows at about 30, I can hardly wait. Talk with you all next week

Just got back in from my trip; it was amazing! Now what you have all been waiting for.... the review.

Problem= old wool sweater was warm and reliable but heavy and only usable in rare instances around camp or sleeping, minimal use and heavy - crazy long dry time if it gets wet
    Solution= Patagonia R1 full zip fleece so much lighter, multi use for in camp and while hiking and for layering when sleeping - drys very quickly

Used the R1 in temps from mid 20's and up to about the mid 60's; I LOVE IT.

Ok, if there is a breeze it literally blows right through this so you need a windbreaker. With a wind breaker and LS wool thermal I was comfortable outside to about 30 dergees, I put my puffy down vest on and was fine down into the 20's while in camp.

NOTE: If I am not moving I get cold easily with very low body fat.

I used this fleece in the morning while also wearing a Wicked Lite t base layer while hiking uphill in the upper 30's into the mid 50's and was comfortable and not sweaty. It is so light and is easy to take off and quickly stash or pull it back out and put back on if getting chilled.

I slept in this each night along with my wool thermal top; one night into the 20's and had it unzipped the second night in the 30's and was so comfortable, it is not bulky; easily fit in my igneo bag with the layers (fyi pretty slim sleeping bag)

I do not miss the old wool sweater and have no doubt that I made a huge improvement in my kit with this; I would highly recommend this fleece for anyone who finds themselves in my same scenario; if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.
    Oh, and if you were curious: I am not sponsored and ​I paid full price for this fleece; my only reason for posting is to help others that are trying to figure out how to utilize their gear better.

Fleece's best feature: wide comfort range.
    Some fleece's worst feature: wind whistles through.
    You are cold natured. Do you get over it after several days in the field?
    There's a time and place for wool and wind proof fleece. Like February in Kazakhstan. Midnight to 6 am bus ride. Down parka in my duffle bag on the baggage truck. Heater in the bus croaks. 0 Fahrenheit or below on the bus. Wool and fleece saved me. The down parka never left my side again.
    Glad you like the new jacket. Good fleece is a winner.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

So I hesitantly will be replacing my heavy knit wool sweater (18oz) with a new layer.

After much research I purchased the newest revision of the Patagonia R1 full zip fleece.

Seems like a very popular and beloved shirt.
    I should have it in the next week just in time for a 3 day trip up into desolation wilderness in the Sierras; I do this trip every year with a couple of buddies and we have experienced temps in November ranging from 65 and sunny down to 0 with over 100 mph winds, we even got a couple feet of snow last year.
    I will let y'all know what I think of it once I get it but until then I would love to hear experiences with this piece of gear if you care to share.
    Try the Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody. I replaced my fleece with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggybottom View Post
    Try the Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody. I replaced my fleece with this.

Already found the replacement with the new R1, this is the review of how it worked. Thanks for your input though.

poolskaterx
    Just got back in from my trip; it was amazing! Now what you have all been waiting for.... the review.

Problem= old wool sweater was warm and reliable but heavy and only usable in rare instances around camp or sleeping, minimal use and heavy - crazy long dry time if it gets wet
    Solution= Patagonia R1 full zip fleece so much lighter, multi use for in camp and while hiking and for layering when sleeping - drys very quickly

Ok, if there is a breeze it literally blows right through this so you need a windbreaker. With a wind breaker and LS wool thermal I was comfortable outside to about 30 dergees, I put my puffy down vest on and was fine down into the 20's while in camp.

I used this fleece in the morning while also wearing a Wicked Lite t base layer while hiking uphill in the upper 30's into the mid 50's and was comfortable and not sweaty. It is so light and is easy to take off and quickly stash or pull it back out and put back on if getting chilled.

I slept in this each night along with my wool thermal top; one night into the 20's and had it unzipped the second night in the 30's and was so comfortable, it is not bulky; easily fit in my igneo bag with the layers (fyi pretty slim sleeping bag)

I do not miss the old wool sweater and have no doubt that I made a huge improvement in my kit with this; I would highly recommend this fleece for anyone who finds themselves in my same scenario; if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.
    Oh, and if you were curious: I am not sponsored and ​I paid full price for this fleece; my only reason for posting is to help others that are trying to figure out how to utilize their gear better.

Already found the replacement with the new R1, this is the review of how it worked. Thanks for your input though.

poolskaterx

I added the Anorak over it and added the merino air hoody as a base layer. I am receiving them in the mail tomorrow.

Images

poolskaterx

How is the fit? What size did you get?
    You said you had a t-shirt under it, what type? Thanks for the
    mini-review.
    TIA

levibarry

Quote Originally Posted by levibarry View Post
    poolskaterx

mini-review.
    TIA

levibarry
    (For the record I go back and forth on Medium to Large as I hate it when my clothes are too tight and I tend to be right in the middle between the two sizes)
    I purchased the medium and I am 160 w wide shoulders but smaller frame about 5'10 on a good day. I had no problem with any of the layers I have tried; wicked lite-T from mountain hardware, NRS LS spf50 shirt, SmartWoll LS merino base, and I have worn it multiple times to work with just a standard cotton T or even a polo shirt; in camp I wore it for just a little with no layer next to the skin-very comfortable. It fits close but does not feel like a sausage casing even when adding layers underneath as it has a really nice stretch to it. I am quite pleased with the performance and would recommend.

This must be a record. 3 pages for a fleece jacket. It's just fleece.

At this rate, my closet could fill a Forum of its own.
    Enjoy!
    Wayne

So much info!
    Just want to say, I had an R1 and ditched it for the new "thermal weight" version of the same cut. I find the R1, while warmer, dries much slower and caused me issues. Ran a Marathon in the thermal weight at 40*, it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    This must be a record. 3 pages for a fleece jacket. It's just fleece.

At this rate, my closet could fill a Forum of its own.
    Enjoy!
    Wayne

Lol! The only reason I posted on this topic is because when I went to research I had a difficult time finding "real" info on this piece and could not find one locally to check out; it is a not a cheap piece for "just" a fleece...

I hope my experience and info may be helpful to others who find themselves in the same situation.👍🏻👍🏻

Good call buddy. I researched for about 2 months before buying. At the costs possibly going over $200 for a set, I don't take it lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    Good call buddy. I researched for about 2 months before buying. At the costs possibly going over $200 for a set, I don't take it lightly.
    I usually buy my gear second hand however when researching for the R1 I found that even used one (over 5 years old) were going for over $50-60 if still looking good! I found mine from an ebay store "new" for $110 shipped and it's so nice, I'm wearing it now as I type and sip coffee. Yep it was about 2months of looking for me too, lol!

[QUOTE=levibarry;2106190][COLOR=#000000][I]poolskaterx

mini-review.
    TIA

Here is the set I have

M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT HOODY, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
    M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT HOODY
    Item No.: 84280
    Color: Campfire Orange (CMPO)
    Size: XL
    Price $249.00

M'S M10 ANORAK, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
    M'S M10 ANORAK
    Item No.: 84165
    Price $379.00

M'S MERINO AIR BOTTOMS, Forge Grey w/Forge Grey (FEG)
    M'S MERINO AIR BOTTOMS
    Item No.: 36465
    Color: Forge Grey w/Forge Grey (FEG)
    Size: L
    Price $129.00

M'S MERINO AIR HOODY, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
    M'S MERINO AIR HOODY
    Item No.: 36390
    Price $149.00

M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT PANTS, Black (BLK)
    M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT PANTS
    Item No.: 84300
    Color: Black (BLK)
    Price $149.00

M'S GALVANIZED PANTS, Black (BLK)
    M'S GALVANIZED PANTS
    Item No.: 83155
    Color: Black (BLK)
    Price $299.00

The merino hoody is an awesome base layer and has a hood. Feels almost like soft thermals. Uber light too. For gram weenies I would highly recommend this setup. The mid layer is my goto piece for everyday use. The nanoair light hoody that is. It is lighter than my Patagonia fleece and my Patagonia down sweater and I don't sweat in it. It breathes and to complete this set I have the anorak. Great to stop the wind, rain or snow. Wearing the pants with this setup keeps the wind from hitting you on the belt line with other pants. I am really glad I invested in this setup. They claim it is great for alpine use like climbing etc. it is great for long distance backpacking in cooler weather.

The only problem I have with hoods is that I have a long neck and no one makes wool hoodies for tall people. Yje necks are too short!

I recommend the men's nano air light hoody in lieu of the fleece. I use fleeces from Patagonia but the problem is they are bulky, don't breathe and they don't have a hood. Check it out. With a merino base layer and the hoody it makes a nice setup. You can even add the matching anorak to make the setup wind and waterproof.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++