WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OK, got the R1 full zip Medium fleece shirt and have tired it for a few evenings out. So far these are the things I have noticed:

1. This is a very thin, technical piece: when you hold it to the light you can see right through it. If there is a breeze you can feel it but without a breeze it is incredibly warm.
    2. Construction is top notch and is VERY comfortable for a close fitting piece; I could wear this right next to my bear skin it feels so nice.
    3. Super easy to slide my Marmot medium size Essence jacket over due to the smooth finish on the outside of the shirt.
    4. When I zip it all the way up it is still super comfy and I can zip it wide open for cooling.
    5. packs down WAY smaller than the old thick wool sweater... verdict is still not in about if it will keep me warm enough when the temps drop

In 2 weeks I will give it a full comparison against the "old wool sweater" and let those that have been on the fence about replacing their tried and true warmth layer with the new technology in on what i find.
    Here is a closer look at the fabric from the inside of the shirt:
    Patagonia R1 fleece.JPG
    Stay tuned.

Terramar makes a hoody called an Ecolator 3.0 for around $50. Grid fleece with hand warmer pockets and zip chest pocket. Comes in around 11-12 oz. I LOVE mine. Its my go to mid layer down to the low 40's. It gets swapped out for a puffy for colder temps, but it is a great piece of gear.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/terr...0wBJw#284=1634

Images

I like to use layers so I prefer taking my REI half zip fleece with my MYOG thin synthetic vest. Then I can wear my T shirt add my LS shirt add my fleece and or vest if needed and finally cover it all with my wind shirt. if I take my puffy jacket I leave my fleece and vest at home but I do not feel I cover as many temperature ranges as the first combo. The fleece and vest weigh the same as the puffy.

Temp ranges for my trips can be 60 during the day and down to 10 at night. In the past I have brought full smartwool base for sleeping and if it is crazy cold I can wear it during the day (i really try to just use it as sleep wear) During the day I have base layer of smartwool or synthetic, ls or ss hiking shirt, the old wool sweater, puffy down vest, marmot essence jacket works as wind breaker and rain protection. The grid fleece is interesting since it allows so much airflow through... I am looking forward to seeing how it works out on my up and coming adventure (18 days and counting!!!)

What is the reason for taking a wind jacket and a rain jacket? I have the Zpacks rain jacket, which is very lightweight and compact. Does it not work well as a wind jacket? Maybe the wind jacket is good for heavy mosquitoes in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    What is the reason for taking a wind jacket and a rain jacket? I have the Zpacks rain jacket, which is very lightweight and compact. Does it not work well as a wind jacket? Maybe the wind jacket is good for heavy mosquitoes in summer.
    Oops, you must have misunderstood. Wind jacket and rain jacket are one in the same; just the marmot essence jacket does both.

How much does the new R1 fleece thing weigh?
    At 18, ounces your wool sweater was not heavy.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post

Rain in jackets don't breathe well.

Thom

If a shirt is effective at blocking wind it won't breathe well either.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If a shirt is effective at blocking wind it won't breathe well either.
    Wayne

My rain and wind jacket are the same thing also...I never figured out the reason for having both. If it blocks water it will block wind.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My rain and wind jacket are the same thing also...I never figured out the reason for having both. If it blocks water it will block wind.
    Zpacks sells each. Guess I should just call them and ask what the difference is. Their wind jacket is even lighter than the rain jacket.

Or get a Montbell Versalite.

Good for moderate/occasional rain (but not non-stop, multi-day deluges IMO, but then what is?) and a great wind jacket. It has pit zips, great hood, hand pockets, good cuff adjustment, hem cinch and weighs 6.8 oz (actual weight of my men's M)

Images

18 ounces is heavier than my sleeping bag, how can you say that is not heavy for a wool sweater?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    18 ounces is heavier than my sleeping bag, how can you say that is not heavy for a wool sweater?
    It's not heavy for what it is, "for a wool sweater" but that doesn't define it as light necessarily

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Because I found fleece pullovers that weigh 18 ounces.
    An 18 ounce sleeping bag will run out of warm in the 30s. In my experience, where I use them, a sleeping bag needs 20 ounces of down to work in the teens or a little below.
    It's all relative.
    Wayne

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Having both means you can layer them together while hiking. For me, this works down to below freezing. As a result, I don't need a mid-layer, and I don't need more than a light insulated jacket to wear around camp. Once it gets really cold in camp, I'm in my sleeping bag.

Like I said above, my rain jacket is 6 oz. My windshirt is 3. Combined, that's less than most people's rain jackets anyway.

Wayne

So the R1 is 12.2 oz and the wool sweater is 23oz.
    Honestly the weight is a consideration but more the usefulness; I ONLY have used the sweater in camp as it is so warm but I can not be active in it without overheating. It is hard to move from a trusted piece to a new piece that "seems" too good to be true. So far for daily use this R1 is pretty great.

I have to admit... I carry a poncho also to hike in when rain is really coming down, although the marmot essence breathes pretty good it is no where as nice as my simple poncho.

You our need to try a wind jacket to know the difference. Rain jackets are not good wind jackets.
    but HYOH

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    You our need to try a wind jacket to know the difference. Rain jackets are not good wind jackets.
    but HYOH

thom
    Nor are wind jackets good rain jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Nor are wind jackets good rain jackets.
    U have got it. But sadly most rain jackets aren't even good rain jackets.

Thom

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++