WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT section suggestions

I will have a few weeks off between seasonal jobs from mid October to mid November. I would like to hike a 250-300 mile section of the CDT during this time. Obviously I would be confined to the southern section due to weather. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a section that wouldn't have too much snow and would have enough reliable water during this time?

You might try to hike from the border south to Grants or from the Mexican border north to Reserve. You might have snow, but it won't last long. When we did our southbound hike we finished Nov. 30, so it was in that same time frame. Water shouldn't be too much of an issue because the rainy season in NM is late summer, so fall has better water than spring, generally. Night time temps. will be cold, but in the day it will likely be comfortable. We did run into frozen springs in the Black Range, but we found enough water. Our boots froze at night when we were hiking the Gila, but that was our fault because we didn't expect below freezing temps. Our biggest issue was that it got dark so early in November, we either walked at night or went to bed ridiculously early. Sunsets were incredible.

I was in Northern New Mexico the first half of September, 2016. The place was soggy, very well watered.
    If it hasn't started snowing yet, Chama, NM SOBO would be nice. Ride the train north from Chama to the CDT. Get off and hike south. Lovely country.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The train stops running October 23. Don't delay.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If I was going across the country to hike on the CDT on those dates, I would only consider southern New Mexico--there's a good chance of snow everywhere else. And from what Spirit Walker says, even southern NM sounds kind of crappy in mid-fall. I couldn't imagine doing the Gila when it was really cold--we were there in late April, and the crossings were still unpleasant in the mornings.

So, my advice is: find a better time to hike. The CDT isn't really a great trail for shoulder season hiking. Ditto the PCT per your other thread. The #1 benefit of being a section hiker is that you can plan your hikes for optimal conditions on the trial. If I was going to go across the country to do a section hike, I would do it when it's warmer.

A September 1 CDT SOBO start this year would have been perfect. Wolf Creek Pass or the train crossing north of Chama were gorgeous. Summer weather.
    Wayne

Thanks for the info! I live in Telluride, CO now, so I wouldn't be traveling across the country. Obviously late fall is not the ideal time to be backpacking out west. I thru hiked the AT in 2014, and went through the smokies in December, so I'm comfortable with cold temps and some snow. I plan on thru hiking the PCT and CDT at some point in the future, so it's more just something to do for a few weeks rather than starting a section hike. The hiking around Telluride is still great right now, with just a little bit of snow on the 14ers. Due to that, I was thinking starting somewhere in New Mexico in a week or so and heading south would be pretty doable. My main concern is water since I don't have much experience backpacking in dry areas.

Ok thanks! That is super helpful. I was expecting some below freezing temps at night, and I'm ok with that. The main things I want to avoid are excessive snow and stretches of over 20 miles without water.

You could start at Silverton and head south. Surely you can get accurate snow conditions, if there is any snow, from local sources.
    As for water, the South San Juan Wilderness Area was awash in water. A couple of stream crossings were almost scary high. Turned out they were less than knee deep and I crossed ok. Guthook's app should have good water information for New Mexico.
    I met two hikers who started at the Colorado-New Mexico border and were going to Silverton. They were averaging 15 miles per day and I think they said it would take them 2 weeks.
    I hope this helps you. Let us know what you do.
    Wayne

I actually loved hiking NM in the Fall. Yes, there is a chance of snow and cold, but it was still lovely.

One thing is that you will run into hunting season, so wear orange. We bought orange hats and vests in Colorado. The hunters were great at stopping when we were on roads and asking if we needed water. We didn't, but it is always nice to be asked.

What SpirtWalker said. But it depends on what you're up for. I've known more than a dozen CDT SOBOers or more including myself who were still in CO in mid Oct. Heck, I didn't get over Wolf Crk Pass until Oct 2? on a CDT SOBO thru. Yeah, there was snow but mostly still clear and manageable southward. Maybe, I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker710 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I live in Telluride, CO now, so I wouldn't be traveling across the country. Obviously late fall is not the ideal time to be backpacking out west. I thru hiked the AT in 2014, and went through the smokies in December, so I'm comfortable with cold temps and some snow. I plan on thru hiking the PCT and CDT at some point in the future, so it's more just something to do for a few weeks rather than starting a section hike. The hiking around Telluride is still great right now, with just a little bit of snow on the 14ers. Due to that, I was thinking starting somewhere in New Mexico in a week or so and heading south would be pretty doable. My main concern is water since I don't have much experience backpacking in dry areas.
    This tells me you may be up to it providing.... Nov is getting too late to be hiking the CDT in CO without it involving snow travel for a continuous 200-300 miler. You'll likely on a 250-300 miler get snow to some extent being out there on the CDT even in NM but again it depends on your CDT route. SOBO CDTers are still in NM in Nov. I didn't finish until, if I'm recalling correctly, Dec 3 but I was doing many ridge lines and sometimes alternates as well as the official tread. As said sunsets were spectacular. Days were short. Hiking after sunset was common. Water wasn't all that a big deal, because for one thing I researched the hell out of it for my NM CDT time frame. It was a solitary experience as a SOBOer in 2010 with, to the best of my knowledge, only 7 total going SOBO. I'm also of the opinion NM in mid Oct - mid Nov maybe early Dec depending on where I'm going is GREAT, maybe optimal cooler weather hiking.

I absolutely disagree with this statement though, "obviously late fall is not the ideal time to be backpacking out west" as it depends on where one chooses to hike. However, hiking the overall high elevation avg of the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE Tr may not be the best. Heck, you're in the southwest corner of CO. WHY does it have to be the CDT you only consider when you don't have to travel clear across the country to get in some FINE 200 -300 milers in in New Mexico, Arizona, the coasts of Cali and Oregon. Then, if you're willing to stretch out traveling distance to the mid south, southern Texas, such as to Big Bend and a combined Guadalupe NP 200 miler, or a thru of the Ozark Highlands Tr in Arkansas you're good weather wise. I'd say possibly optimal weather wise for a mid Oct - mind Nov foray in some of those places.

Other good possibilities include picking 2oo-300 miles of the eastern Grand Enchantment Tr OR 200-300 miles of the southern and possible mid AZT OR combing some miles of both making up your own hike sampling 300 miles total of both trails. The Superstitions are beaufitful temps at that time. All this is possible for you being based out of Telluride awaiting ski season to crank up in earnest. Show up on the slopes with a AZ or NM tan. You know you're going to be opening the door to some female companionship and discussion doping that.

I would really like to see more hikers breaking out of a limiting mindset that relegates them to only the Big 3 TC trails, maybe the Big 4 if also including the JMT, when considering hikes, OR east coasters assuming Florida is the only place suitable for late fall and winter hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What SpirtWalker said. But it depends on what you're up for. I've known more than a dozen CDT SOBOers or more including myself who were still in CO in mid Oct. Heck, I didn't get over Wolf Crk Pass until Oct 2? on a CDT SOBO thru. Yeah, there was snow but mostly still clear and manageable southward. Maybe, I got lucky.

This tells me you may be up to it providing.... Nov is getting too late to be hiking the CDT in CO without it involving snow travel for a continuous 200-300 miler. You'll likely on a 250-300 miler get snow to some extent being out there on the CDT even in NM but again it depends on your CDT route. SOBO CDTers are still in NM in Nov. I didn't finish until, if I'm recalling correctly, Dec 3 but I was doing many ridge lines and sometimes alternates as well as the official tread. As said sunsets were spectacular. Days were short. Hiking after sunset was common. Water wasn't all that a big deal, because for one thing I researched the hell out of it for my NM CDT time frame. It was a solitary experience as a SOBOer in 2010 with, to the best of my knowledge, only 7 total going SOBO. I'm also of the opinion NM in mid Oct - mid Nov maybe early Dec depending on where I'm going is GREAT, maybe optimal cooler weather hiking.

I absolutely disagree with this statement though, "obviously late fall is not the ideal time to be backpacking out west" as it depends on where one chooses to hike. However, hiking the overall high elevation avg of the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE Tr may not be the best. Heck, you're in the southwest corner of CO. WHY does it have to be the CDT you only consider when you don't have to travel clear across the country to get in some FINE 200 -300 milers in in New Mexico, Arizona, the coasts of Cali and Oregon. Then, if you're willing to stretch out traveling distance to the mid south, southern Texas, such as to Big Bend and a combined Guadalupe NP 200 miler, or a thru of the Ozark Highlands Tr in Arkansas you're good weather wise. I'd say possibly optimal weather wise for a mid Oct - mind Nov foray in some of those places.

Other good possibilities include picking 2oo-300 miles of the eastern Grand Enchantment Tr OR 200-300 miles of the southern and possible mid AZT OR combing some miles of both making up your own hike sampling 300 miles total of both trails. The Superstitions are beaufitful temps at that time. All this is possible for you being based out of Telluride awaiting ski season to crank up in earnest. Show up on the slopes with a AZ or NM tan. You know you're going to be opening the door to some female companionship and discussion doping that.

I would really like to see more hikers breaking out of a limiting mindset that relegates them to only the Big 3 TC trails, maybe the Big 4 if also including the JMT, when considering hikes, OR east coasters assuming Florida is the only place suitable for late fall and winter hiking.
    Alright thanks so much! A lot of good info in there. I agree about not just focusing on the "big 3" trails. I did some research, although I admit not very much, and didn't discover the AZT. I will definitely research that one. A friend told me about the grand enchantment, but it sounds like a little more route finding than I'd be up for. I know the Silverton area has a bit more snow than around Telluride right now, but based on your experience it sounds like going SOBO from the New Mexico border could be a good option.

I know I went off topic from your original question. Thanks so much for having the appreciative tolerance and open-mindedness to consider perhaps some tangentially related and expanded information.

++ New Posts ++