WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    A freeze dryer? May I ask how much that costs?
    Im interested to know too - cheapest I've seen them is around $10,000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    A freeze dryer? May I ask how much that costs?
    Harvest Right $3K plus shipping
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

[QUOTE=GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09;2098454]
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    "You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
    Wayne

Trying to improve my hike the second time around. I like your second response, but this one seems kinda childish, the type of responses that draw people away from whiteblaze.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or what. Constructive critisism is welcome. I admit I still have a lot to learn about hiking. But the use of the term "grasshopper" is kind of demeaning towards me and pompous on your end.. Especially to one who has already "hopped" from Ga-Me.
    Check out Kwai Chang Caine for the grasshopper reference.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Harvest Right $3K plus shipping
    Very cool, please post an update at some point I'd love to hear how you like it.

Registered User GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09's Avatar

Geese Louise I get the reference, and still don't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Very cool, please post an update at some point I'd love to hear how you like it.

hopefully it gets here this week. I will post as we make and eat meals.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

[QUOTE=carouselambra;2098878]
    Quote Originally Posted by GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09 View Post

Check out Kwai Chang Caine for the grasshopper reference.
    I'm glad that I'm not alone who remembers an original TV program. They are rare.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Nothing. On order, that is.

Been thinking about ordering a Pendleton wool shirt. Or possibly (more likely) going the cheapie route, an acrylic flannel shirt from blair.com.

If there's something better than Sorrel boots for winter hiking, I'd give it serious consideration. (Any suggestions?)

got 4 packages on the post office now, they are starting to laugh when they see me, as i am kinda a regular there a few times a month for all kind of stuff, only few things i missed, so now it just the clothes part but thats a touch and feel process

Quote Originally Posted by JEgestad View Post
    now it just the clothes part but thats a touch and feel process
    I have no idea at all how women normally shop but I feel so stupid walking in the store touching all the clothes finding just the right stuff and actually trying it on in the store for this trip. If It is going to be my one and only of each thing for 6 months I better fall in love when it touches my hand. LOL

I havent thru hiked, but I've hiked enough to know what works for me and what doesnt, and I could leave tomorrow for a thru hike with the gear I have. It's evolved quite a bit. Things that were once "mandatory" in my mind I havent used but once. Things I scoffed at, I cant leave home now. What's my point? Mass buying for a thru hike is probably a waste of your time and money. Get out and do some actual hiking and camping with what you have - if it works, you dont need a new version of it. If it doesnt, then go shopping. Then use it. Did it hold up? Will it break in a week? Too heavy or unnecessary? You get the idea. There's a good amount of time between now and spring - use it to actually use gear. I know, it's more fun to shop and read reviews.... but that wont get you down the trail when push comes to shove.

{Edit} Also, while it's cold out, and raining, try out your gear. Sleep out. Multiple nights. Walk some miles. Alone. Is it for you? Your gear working?
    Last edited by scrabbler; 10-19-2016 at 20:05.

scrabbler getting new gear for our thru hike is not the same as needing everything. It is about buying those items you have eyed but never purchased because what you had worked. This BIG hike is another deal and everyone buys lavish things. For instance I wouldn't buy wool base layers for anything but this as all my synthetic has worked fine. I could make do with what I have but why shouldn't I buy stuff that will make my trip a little nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by freys View Post
    I have no idea at all how women normally shop but I feel so stupid walking in the store touching all the clothes finding just the right stuff and actually trying it on in the store for this trip. If It is going to be my one and only of each thing for 6 months I better fall in love when it touches my hand. LOL

haha i am not a girl but for something that is going to be used so long and for this need to be good

My new vacuum sealer got here! Freeze dryer is scheduled to be delivered Saturday!

My new vacuum sealer got here! Freeze dryer is scheduled to be delivered Saturday!
    freeze dryer, do tell? Been seeing them advertised lately on the boob tube.

Got 2 smartwool tops. 250 crew for sleep and a base 190 1/4 zip to wear. Only upgrade left is my sleeping pad. Waiting to see what comes out new for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    freeze dryer, do tell? Been seeing them advertised lately on the boob tube.
    Harvest Right sells them. We are probably going to run our first test load starting Wednesday. Some home made ice cream (no sugar, we use monk fruit), scrambled eggs, maybe some baked chicken breasts (we can't have a grill where we are) amd maybe some leftovers from dinner the next couple nights.

Harvest Right sells them. We are probably going to run our first test load starting Wednesday. Some home made ice cream (no sugar, we use monk fruit), scrambled eggs, maybe some baked chicken breasts (we can't have a grill where we are) amd maybe some leftovers from dinner the next couple nights.
    I will start a thread when I start getting some results.

Journal Entries
    Images

I ordered more hammock stuff...I had to mass buy because I had no backpacking stuff and then I went to a hammock and started halfway over. It is for me the first step buy gear, step 2 use gear and save money, get life in order step3 hike AT.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Nice! i've since found it and gone to there website, nice machine, would enjoy hearing how it performs over time, good luck havin' fun with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++