WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 1998 PA shooting video

No real comment from me- but I know that there are those here who would appreciate this video.
    "In the Hollow" hosted on Vimeo

It is a reenactment and interview with Claudia Brenner. It's not a video to watch lightly but isn't overly graphic either.

I was not aware of her subsequent involvement, advocacy and the implementation of nationwide protections and laws related to hate crimes "motivated by religion, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation" to quote George Bush from the film. I am aware those laws help many people and help bring justice for those whom are beyond help.

Again not an incident I am very familiar with and sorry if this is insensitive to anyone. But it's uplifting to see that the general wisdom holds up even in such a tragic case...
    'The trail; where even bad things turn out good.'

Video description-

In May 1988, girlfriends Claudia Brenner and Rebecca Wight were attacked while hiking the Appalachian Trail by a 'mountain man' named Stephen Roy Carr. IN THE HOLLOW tells the story of the shooting, Wight's death, and Brenner's desperate survival (and later transformation into an advocate for hate crime legislation in the U.S.) as she returns to the trail for the first time since the shooting.
    The film combines documentary and narrative film elements, using the actual locations on the trail and dramatizations written by Claudia Brenner and director/screenwriter Austin Bunn based on her testimony. The film follows Brenner as she hikes the Appalachian Trail in search of the site of the shooting and path of her survival.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Shippensburg Rd. parking lot and Birch Run Shelter. I hike there a lot and never knew this happened.
    Thanks for posting.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I knew about this story long before I ever set foot on the trail. If you can find a used copy, the book "Eight Bullets" was co-written by Claudia Brenner and does a good job detailing the story.
    I believe there was also a book written from the murderer's point of view. Haven't read it and don't care to.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Just Bill, thank you for sharing. I remember hearing the broad version of this story back on my 1989 thru-hike Appalachian Trail hike. Nothing in details, only a lesbian couple was shot, killing one and wounding the other. Thankfully the man who did this is still locked up where he belongs! Something I wasn't aware of is that this crime helped transformation into an advocate for hate crime legislation.

Wolf

Is it raining yet?
    Images

This crime is also detailed in the book "The Whole Truth? A case of Murder on the Appalachian Trail" by H.L. Pohlman.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++