WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Question No Water between Fontana Dam & Derrick Knob in the Smokies

I've heard multiple reports that there's no water during this stretch. My plans are set in stone. It's a 22 mile hike, and I'm prepared to do that, but I wanted to see if anyone has any creative ideas outside of lugging a ton of water?
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

carry less water and power through the whole 22 in one shot?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

It's a rough 22 mile stretch without trail legs. I'd be more comfortable with a 15 mile day. I'll probably end up lugging water to Mollie's Ridge/Russell/Spence (hoping to find a flow) and/or rationing from there to Derrick Knob.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Carrying a heavier water load goes with backpacking in most places in the Southeast during this drought.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Carrying a heavier water load goes with backpacking in most places in the Southeast during this drought.
    You're absolutely correct. I guess I was hoping to find out about a new hydration pill that replaced a liter of water with a 1oz capsule.

My plan is to camel up a liter or more before I leave. I can make it to Mollie's Ridge on 2 liters or less, but there was supposed to be a small source at Spence, so that might be a better destination. Either way, I'll eat light with no cooking at camp. I'll then have two liters to Derrick Knob with hope that I run across a source somewhere in between.

If you can first night at Spence there's water down at Eagle Creek. Under current conditions I personally would do the 15 mile haul from Fontana to Spence if I was infatuated with an AT only scenario. If I wasn't infatuated with the AT, which I'm not in GSMNP, I'd opt for Eagle Creek out of Fontana(Lakeshore or AT to Lost Cove to Eagle Creek). Sometimes there's H20 at a small stream near CS 91 that crosses Lost Cove between Eagle and the AT. I'd leave from Spence with based on current drought conditions on the ridges to get to Silers and Double Spring.

What is sad is there are probably dozens of water sources we don't know about off the trail and down a hillside but it takes too much energy and time to bushwack, explore and find. And many dry sources are running if you go down the mountain far enough, but who wants to look and who wants to climb back up? My buddy Patman went on a water run last year and when he got back his pack was gone, eaten by a black bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    What is sad is there are probably dozens of water sources we don't know about off the trail and down a hillside but it takes too much energy and time to bushwack, explore and find. And many dry sources are running if you go down the mountain far enough, but who wants to look and who wants to climb back up? My buddy Patman went on a water run last year and when he got back his pack was gone, eaten by a black bear.
    Absolutely! By having a map, knowing how to read it, knowing where water begins congregating, and a willingness to wisely cede elevation and efficiently regain it in various likely drainages there is water right now probably less than 1/2 mile off the AT between Derricks Knob and Fontana baselining from the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you can first night at Spence there's water down at Eagle Creek. Under current conditions I personally would do the 15 mile haul from Fontana to Spence if I was infatuated with an AT only scenario. If I wasn't infatuated with the AT, which I'm not in GSMNP, I'd opt for Eagle Creek out of Fontana(Lakeshore or AT to Lost Cove to Eagle Creek). Sometimes there's H20 at a small stream near CS 91 that crosses Lost Cove between Eagle and the AT. I'd leave from Spence with based on current drought conditions on the ridges to get to Silers and Double Spring.
    Anyone have any current info on the spring at Spence? I heard there's also a piped spring about .1 down the Bote Trail just up from the AT.

I was there 2 weeks ago. Spence had a small puddle you could dip from, though with no rain for the last two weeks, that is likely dry or you have to go downhill a ways to find any. I heard Russell had water if you went far enough down the hill, I did not venture to find it. Derrick pipe was running great. From Derrick to Newfound Gap all had water.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    I was there 2 weeks ago. Spence had a small puddle you could dip from, though with no rain for the last two weeks, that is likely dry or you have to go downhill a ways to find any. I heard Russell had water if you went far enough down the hill, I did not venture to find it. Derrick pipe was running great. From Derrick to Newfound Gap all had water.
    Thanks for the update!

Section Hiker

How did you fare, Rush?

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

So does anyone have an update on this? Does this mean Mollies Ridge, Russell Field and Spence Field are all dry and there's nothing in between?
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

I started on 10/19 and exited on 10/26

Ekaneetlee Gap - Small puddle/flow about .2 down
    Mollies Ridge - Dry
    Russell Field - Follow about .2 down past the marked source to the cairns and make a left. Nice pool of clear water.
    Spence Field - Possibly something down the side of the mountain a ways
    Derrick Knob - Good flows
    Silers Bald - Heard it was dry (but maybe something after that storm I got caught in)
    Double Spring - Dry (but maybe something after that storm I got caught in)
    Mount Collins - Good
    Boulevard Trail - Waterfall flow/pool about 2 miles in
    Icewater Spring - Good
    Pecks' Corner - Dry
    Tricorner - Small flow
    Cosby Knob - Small flow
    Davenport Gap - No clue

The source at Ekaneetlee Gap wasn't great, but I'd use it to avoid carrying an extra 2 liters up.
    Most people were loading up at Icewater Spring to head towards Pecks/Tricorner.

Images

There could be water at a second spring near where Jenkins ridge trail heads south from Spence. The spring and former shelter are some ways straight south from junction so it is s bushwhack I'd guess.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++