WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Status in the Smokys?

Good morning,

I wanted to check to see if anyone had been up in the first bits of the AT from Fontana dam to Newfound Gap. What is the water situation like? According to http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home.../trail-updates Its dry for the first 16 or so miles.

Any help would be appreciated!

Leonidas

SOBO from Newfound, Stream at 203.6 was flowing not great but there was water. Mt. Collins Shelter source was flowing. This was as of 10/2/2016. We stopped at Clingmans, so not sure further south but the rumor I heard was dry to Fontana Dam.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Hmm.. Anyone else have any idea? It is supposed to rain on Saturday (first day of hike) Im hoping there's water at least at Derrick Knob. I'll be sure to carry 4 liters from the start at Fontana.

From Derricks Knob south is supposedly dry. OMG may have to carry some water or inconveniently? veer off the AT to get some.

Journal Entries

Once you get to Spence Field Shelter, maybe you could take Eagle Creek Trail to find water. Online map I'm using doesn't show elevation or distance very well, but it appears you would reach the creek within a mile.
    Or as an alternative, you could skip the AT altogether, and just hike Eagle Creek from Fontana up to Spence Field.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I went to Gregory Bald this past weekend where water was fine at Moore Spring.

(For the uninitiated, this is a spring located close to the intersection of Gregory Ridge, Gregory Bald, and Long Hungary Ridge trails. It's located about 3 miles from Doe Knob, the knob itself located where the AT reaches the crest of the Smoky Mountains after climbing up from Fontana Dam).

I'm not suggesting AT hikers take a 6 mile detour to get water, but just use it as a point of reference that there are places that have water.
    So based on what I saw at Moore Spring, I would think water could be found at Ekaneetlee Gap, Russell Field, and Spence Field... though you might have to hike down the drainage a little farther than normal to find water.

You can also call the Back Country office the day before you start to see if they have any up-to-the minute reports (865-436-1297)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Once you get to Spence Field Shelter, maybe you could take Eagle Creek Trail to find water. Online map I'm using doesn't show elevation or distance very well, but it appears you would reach the creek within a mile.
    Or as an alternative, you could skip the AT altogether, and just hike Eagle Creek from Fontana up to Spence Field.
    The water source at Spence Field is basically the head water of Spence Cabin Branch that feeds Eagle Creek. If there isn't water at that source, it's a little more than 1/3 of a mile and a 300' elevation drop until the trail reached the lower section of this same branch. If you had to actually hike all the way down to Eagle Creek to get water, it would be about 1 mile (one way) and would be a 1,000' elevation drop (this section of trail contains the steepest 1/4 mile of trail in all the GSMNP).

TU HKDK. I feel more initiated now. Good advice. Would it be less of a distance coming off the AT at Sassafras to get water on say Twentymile rather than Doe Knob to that junction you referred to?

70% of the time I find more water than is said is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    From Derricks Knob south is supposedly dry. OMG may have to carry some water or inconveniently? veer off the AT to get some.

Im not sure what in my messages caused a reply of this sort. I mentioned I was going to carry water, and was querying potentially more experienced GSM hikers if there were spots to, obviously, veer off and get water.

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I will certainly 'OMG carry water or inconveniently? veer off' .

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Looking at a Topo, it looks like you have to go a ways down Twentymile to be assured of water, travelling all the way down to Proctor Branch 1.5 miles down the trail with a 1,100' elevation drop.

During a time of low water, I had no problems getting water a mile up the trail at campsite #113. Now the pipe at the campsite was dry, but I only had to walk about 100' or 200' down the drainage before I was able to find plenty of water.

But it also looks like Twentymile crosses several drainages early on that MIGHT have water (I'm saying this strictly based on what I see on the topo... I've only hiked that section of Twentymile once before and don't recall what water was like in that area). Looks like the best bet is the 2nd drainage located about 700' down the trail with about a 125' elevation drop. The water source at #113 is going to be just as far off the trail with even more of an elevation drop.

So if you have no plans to stay at #113, it might be worth the walk to see what you can find on Twentymile.

Otherwise, if you're considering Moore Spring, it's not really worth it unless you're going to take the time to continue a little bit farther and check out Gregory Bald. But if you should decide to go to Moore Spring, follow Gregory Bald trail until it intersects with Gregory Ridge trail just past the intersection with Long Hungary Ridge. To get to the Spring, look for a little used and unnamed trail... simply marked by a sign saying "No Horses Beyond This Point". Follow that a little more than a 1/4th. mile to find the spring. To continue to Gregory Bald, don't double back all the way to the intersection. Instead, just before the spring, there is another path strait up the mountain. Follow that an you'll run into Gregory Bald Trail again in 1/10th of a mile. Once again, at the intersection, you'll see a sign about no horses. Turn left to get to Gregory Bald. On the way back to the AT, simply stay on Gregory Bald trail rather than taking the side trail to Moore Spring.

Images

So if you have no plans to stay at #113, it might be worth the walk to see what you can find on Twentymile.

when i was at 113 in the winter a few years ago-----there was a spring down on twenty mile maybe half mile or so........(its been a while but i remember it not being far from the junction with the AT)...

granted that was winter and not sure how flow would be in this dry year....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    when i was at 113 in the winter a few years ago-----there was a spring down on twenty mile maybe half mile or so........(its been a while but i remember it not being far from the junction with the AT)...

Read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Looking at a Topo, it looks like you have to go a ways down Twentymile to be assured of water, travelling all the way down to Proctor Branch 1.5 miles down the trail with a 1,100' elevation drop.

During a time of low water, I had no problems getting water a mile up the trail at campsite #113. Now the pipe at the campsite was dry, but I only had to walk about 100' or 200' down the drainage before I was able to find plenty of water.

But it also looks like Twentymile crosses several drainages early on that MIGHT have water (I'm saying this strictly based on what I see on the topo... I've only hiked that section of Twentymile once before and don't recall what water was like in that area). Looks like the best bet is the 2nd drainage located about 700' down the trail with about a 125' elevation drop. The water source at #113 is going to be just as far off the trail with even more of an elevation drop.

Otherwise, if you're considering Moore Spring, it's not really worth it unless you're going to take the time to continue a little bit farther and check out Gregory Bald. But if you should decide to go to Moore Spring, follow Gregory Bald trail until it intersects with Gregory Ridge trail just past the intersection with Long Hungary Ridge. To get to the Spring, look for a little used and unnamed trail... simply marked by a sign saying "No Horses Beyond This Point". Follow that a little more than a 1/4th. mile to find the spring. To continue to Gregory Bald, don't double back all the way to the intersection. Instead, just before the spring, there is another path strait up the mountain. Follow that an you'll run into Gregory Bald Trail again in 1/10th of a mile. Once again, at the intersection, you'll see a sign about no horses. Turn left to get to Gregory Bald. On the way back to the AT, simply stay on Gregory Bald trail rather than taking the side trail to Moore Spring.

Im planning to hike up to Russel on the first day, so a 6 mile detour probably isnt in the cards. I'll carry plenty of water the first day, and be sure to check the drainage areas down from the pipes to scout for water. Thanks for all of the great information!

Quote Originally Posted by i2ambler View Post
    Im not sure what in my messages caused a reply of this sort. I mentioned I was going to carry water, and was querying potentially more experienced GSM hikers if there were spots to, obviously, veer off and get water.

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I will certainly 'OMG carry water or inconveniently? veer off' .

Apologies. I was irritated about something read in a similar thread asking about water in this stretch but shouldn't have communicated anything like that to you. I was switching back and forth between three recent threads on the topic. I may have mistakenly applied that to you. FWIW, I perceive infatuated AT only hikers as quite possibly being spoiled expecting AT level standards of comfort and convenience in regard to logistical considerations as a matter of routine on an ongoing basis no matter their hike's parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

I've been by there in early and mid summer and in the fall with it always running. I don't recall the rainfall patterns or state of water leading up those times though.

Good plan checking the drainages i2ambler.

Here's what TW and I said about that in one of the other threads about water in this AT GSMNP stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    What is sad is there are probably dozens of water sources we don't know about off the trail and down a hillside but it takes too much energy and time to bushwack, explore and find. And many dry sources are running if you go down the mountain far enough, but who wants to look and who wants to climb back up?...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Absolutely! By having a map, knowing how to read it, knowing where water begins congregating, and a willingness to wisely cede elevation and efficiently regain it in various likely drainages there is water right now probably less than 1/2 mile off the AT between Derricks Knob and Fontana baselining from the AT.
    And, as Illabelle said above there's plenty of water on Eagle Creek so plenty of options without too much hassle to have the water you desire. Really no need to haul water at all if one is willing to not be AT infatuated alone by taking the Lakeshore to Eagle Creek to Spence too. IMHO, it's a nicer hike in the early fall at this time of the yr when the water levels aren't high on Eagle Crk without the restrictions or competition of taking the AT from Fontana to Spence.

++ New Posts ++