WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One thing many couples and group backpackers don't realize is the need for personal space, more so than at home. Out in the woods a lot of processing is going on and it's important for some to keep their inner voice going with themselves and their surroundings. They need a place to reflect in solitude without disturbance. Ergo dual shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I learned long ago that backpacking with a spouse is 100% better if each of you have your own shelter. Why? Snoring, tossing and turning, want to get up at 3am to read or write or eat, etc. Personal space greatly reduces conflict and gives each person his own . . . uh . . . space.

The only time a single shelter might be useful (short of a Mt Everest storm) would be during the throes of sexual addiction whereby two need to become one. Once life's storms of lust pass the double shelter rule works well.
    LOL. This seriously cracked me up. We have backpacked together in the past and there is no way I would sleep separately. We have been together more than 25 years. I'm used to his snoring and perhaps we are according to your standard, sexual addicts. But hey, it works for us!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Having done a lot of long distance hiking with my partner and spouse of more than thirty years, I have to respectfully yet totally disagree. We share a tent, even a sleeping pad (the Exped double UL pad), and soon we'll have some quilts to share. It's much better this way, nothing to do with the "throes" of anything.

(Sexual addiction? Really? Did you come of age in the Victorian era?)
    Cool. I need to check out that sleeping pad. Trying to find a good quilt(s) to share as well. Not sure if our height difference would make that a problem? We obviously sleep in the same bed at home but the home comes with central heat and A/C!

One thing many couples and group backpackers don't realize is the need for personal space, more so than at home. Out in the woods a lot of processing is going on and it's important for some to keep their inner voice going with themselves and their surroundings. They need a place to reflect in solitude without disturbance. Ergo dual shelters.
    I figure most of the day we will be hiking solo, unable to talk. That's when I like to do my reflecting. At home I love when he gets home from work and we can share our day. We've been at this a while. He understands when I need my space and I understand he needs me to help him recharge. Besides, a lot of the reason I'm not doing this hike next year (or done it already) is because I seriously cannot fathom having all these wonderful moments without him.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

i think the horse is dead quit beating on it ;0)

thom

The beatings will continue until full compliance and acceptance of the weirding way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Traveling as a couple may b nice to have 2 shelters if u get separated or something . A small tarp 5x9 or so would b light not to expensive and insurance.

thom
    thats just about what me poncho measures...and yup, ive cooked and eatin' under it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Traveling as a couple may b nice to have 2 shelters if u get separated or something . A small tarp 5x9 or so would b light not to expensive and insurance.

thom
    was thinking of one of them fancy cuben fiber ones. weight about 5 oz. Could be great as a second sleep shelter if needed, cooking under if raining, or maybe even used as a "shower stall" for a sponge bath

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Dutchware gear stocks a hammock gear tarp and the tadpole much cheaper and still pretty light..I have cf one. Kinda expensive but super nice and light. But if you were rained in you could also pitch it out flat and have a nice area to hang out not being tent bound, depending on wind anyways. If you got the funds cf would be sweet.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Dutchware gear stocks a hammock gear tarp and the tadpole much cheaper and still pretty light..I have cf one. Kinda expensive but super nice and light. But if you were rained in you could also pitch it out flat and have a nice area to hang out not being tent bound, depending on wind anyways. If you got the funds cf would be sweet.
    We do have the funds for cf. Our first backpacking trip my pack was 60 lbs. I was 105. No idea what my (boyfriend then) husband's weighed as he was carrying the "heavy stuff." My "handle" on here and other forums refers to how we have had to live for many years while we built our careers but doesn't reflect current day financial situation thankfully. We will likely only get one chance to do a thru. We plan on being comfortable somewhat, especially with how much weight we will be carrying so cf will likely be our go to material. I think we earned it after keeping pretty much all our original gear for 20 years. We still own the first stove we ever bought, along with the fuel bottles! Finally bought a new pack about 5? years ago. Yeah. we are spending the money on cf. We'll use it from now until we thru hike, on the thru and hopefully be able to use it after if we take care with it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I'd check out dutch it wouldn't be huge but it would give you both a place to sit and its light for sure. And with dutch its like jimmy johns freaky fast.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Well I'd check out dutch it wouldn't be huge but it would give you both a place to sit and its light for sure. And with dutch its like jimmy johns freaky fast.
    Thanks. I will check them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++