WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Journal Entries

Following pictures borrowed from Johns blog at High on Leconte for illustrative purposes.

Feb 17, 2016. GSMNP

7061865_orig.jpg

Mar. 02, 2016
    6991465_orig.jpg

Mar 21, 2016

378110736.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-28-2016 at 05:33.

so, excited i could exploded! 54 more days though!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Bring the gaiters unless you plan to skip gsmnp.

You realize upper elevations get about 2 ft snowfall in feb and march, right?

You might get lucky and hit a dry week. I would not bank on it.
    Class of 2016 got hit with a good amount of snow in GSMNP in early May. A lot of folks suggest going through the Smokies with Goretex boots then dumping them.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Class of 2016 got hit with a good amount of snow in GSMNP in early May. A lot of folks suggest going through the Smokies with Goretex boots then dumping them.

May 5th on my thru this year.
    I just had trail runners, cheap asics. My feet got soggy but wasn't all that bad. Just changed to dry socks ASAP at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators. They got soaked and so did my socks. I only carried two pair of socks, and rather than wear my soaked ones in the morning at 24 degrees (they won't dry out overnight on their own), I resorted to using large ziploc bags over my dry ones which worked fine and kept everything dry until I got to Newfound Gap. It was a tad uncomfortable at first, but after a bit of hiking it was fine.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Outstanding, practically a dream kit, nicely done! Do you have a pro deal with zpacks????? :-)

Only nit picking, but I don't see a back flush plunger for your sawyer filter, about an ounce. You can get by without one, backflushing by holding the filter firmly against a sink faucet, but prepare to get a bit wet. Have you thought about Aqua Mira? I switched to AM early in my AT hike, glad I did, the water is so clear along most of the trail, no need to filter, just something to kill the little nasties.

I did have a use numerous times for a little swiss army knife, 0.7 ounces, I think I used the little scissors a bunch of times, and the tweezer is handy. Nail clippers?

One silly question: why a 60L pack for a sub 9 lb base? Since the pack is so light, no worries, but I just think 50L or less is all anyone needs for 3-season AT hiking.

BTW: I did use a 20 degree bag for over half the trail, even in warm weather, works fine, you just use the unzipped bag like a quilt, and adjust home much body is covered.

Again, just nit picking. My kit is very similar, and it took me about 10 years of long distance hiking before I got my base under 10. You're way ahead of the game!
    I've added the Sawyer adapter to flush and gravity feed. The Therm-a-Rest AirTap Pump Kit and a Sandisk MP3 player. Those are the only changes. Sorry for the late response. Busy with other things.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I want to know how much these ultralight people weigh. Bodyweight please...

Really, you might be able to drop a lot more pounds more easily than spending $$$ for gear that's a few ounces lighter.

It's the elephant in the room (or on the trail).
    I weigh 150. HWP.

Default My Gear List (What's in My Pack)

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    I think we killed this thread
    Yes, because the tread got hijacked and went off topic.

Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 02-06-2017 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I have carried 30lbs on my back both as skinny (in shape) and as chunky (out of shape). 30lbs felt the exact same each time.
    I lost twenty pounds between section hikes to reduce my load. It doesn't feel like I'm twenty pounds lighter -- though I've enjoyed being at the lower weight otherwise.

I'd expected to feel a little lighter.

I've lost 44 pounds in a year, primarily through diet changes, gym, and regular section hiking. I've also reduced my base weight by 8 pounds. It's a combination of both. A health weight=healthy heart and joints. A lighter pack=a happier back and shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Kit shows a lot of thoughtfulness RoamingGnome. I like it.

Couple thoughts and questions.

1) planning on using the 20* ZP bag/quilt the whole time?

2) suppose you're switching out the 13+ oz Gander Mt convertibles for something like 5 -6 oz nylon running shorts around last wk of April-early May? This has the potential to save 7- 8+ oz.

3) As Carl said resupplying more often has the potential to drop some significant POUNDS carried never mind ounces. Since it seems you are willing to switch out gear and buy gear to save wt perhaps, as it turns into fairer weather, you can also go to a lesser volume lighter wt pack commensurate with lower wt and lower volume food hauls and less voluminous heavier wt colder apparel? A Zpacks 60 L CF hauler may not have to be the end of line in saving backpack gear wt? With your kit one of the more bulkier categories of items can very well be food. If you reduce food volume, however you do that, I think that can get you to the tipping point of evolving or switching out to a lower volume and hopefully(that's the goal) lower wt backpack. Might be something to consider especially since I'm seeing a knee brace in your gear list.

Just a word. Might work your way into your hike if you have knee issues or don't want to aggravate anything existing. i.e.; don't got out the gate too fast too hard too big. HYOH. You do your hike not someone else's. If I can do it still treating a broken ankle you can do it. Be mindful of that as your approach entails minimizing in town time/more time on trail. FWIW, being on trail around other thru-hikers so much it's easy, VERY EASY, to be tempted into doing miles and miles and miles or doing what others are doing when possibly you could be/should be doing what's best for you concerning your body!

4) with your start date good chance(I'd count on it!) you'll encounter times walking in snow. Do you have at least one pr higher height calf height socks and/or something more WR or WP gaiters than the DGs for those times. DG's are great for summer or when it's dry to keep debris out but untreated lycra DGs quickly wet out despite the low wt. Perhaps, treating them with a spray on WPer like ReviveX or Grangers could help since you'll be wearing pants but even still expect wet possibly cold feet and possibly ice up around your pant cuffs and low cut trail runners. Consider more protective shortie gaiters like made from eVent or Neoshell or Schoeller for using the first 5 or so wks. Then, if you like to use gaiters switch to UNTREATED DG's for summer. For me, IMHO DG's aren't a necessity for the mid Atlantic states even with the low cut Solomon's. To each their gaiter own though.

5) I suppose one of the reasons you're choosing to rock the Speedcross 3 is for their very good traction which will be appreciated with your start date conditions that can or WILL involve snow, ice, mud, and slush. I don't know if they're offered in a WP version or if you have the WP version. I assume you aren't taking the WP footwear path. Although that may not be a bad choice for your first pr for the early phase of the thru and then switching to non WP version on your second pr as it gets warmer. I suggest you consider treating that first pr whether WP version or not with ReviveX or Grangers. This helps in several ways and during those cold/cooler periods doesn't have to be such a big deal regarding shoe dry times or breathability compared to warmer months. Applying this WP, DWR, or silicone treatment can help to reduce ice/slush/mud/water build up on the upper and around the gaiters which this combination can have a tendency to do. Don't treat the very bottom of the soles as this can temporarily reduce traction making for slippery footing. Uppers on the Speedcross can hold water, snow and ice and possibly affect the speed lacing system. This makes the lacing more slippery too.

6) with the low cuts and your late winter/very early spring start date you'd be wise IMO to carefully consider everything going on with your feet as a system- a layered integrated system. Sock choices should be carefully considered. Two obvious priorities stand out a) warmth, especially for those first 5 wks or so b) taking care of your feet throughout the hike recognizing how that might change in the cold compared to late April/May on. I guess you've considered one pr calf height socks in that two pr scenario for the beginning during hiking in snow/slush? Here's something you may consider: take two pr of different socks for versatility to address varied weather during at least the first 5 wks or so. With the non WP Speedcross one possible scenario might be to take one pr of merino socks of your choosing the other pr being something like a Hanz insulated WP calf height sock breathable and stretchy. This way you have versatility and address warmth while not having to have wet feet as much. It's an approach that has worked for me nicely in cold shoulder season temps rocking low cut trail runners and light hikers 1/2 size larger. As weather warms you can switch out for two pr ankle height socks. This sock scenario has the potential for you to possible eliminate 1 or both pr of the liner socks. You're call but seems a bit redundant in what amounts to carrying 4 pr of socks IMO with two pr liner socks and 2 other pr. To digress liners socks are possibly useful but once feet become toughened to LD hiking, with modern advanced sock design, and knowing how to tend to and treat feet PREVENTIVELY they can be less useful. You may only need 1 pr. Where they possibly have greater potential IMO is before feet become toughened and/or warm/hot LD starting times.

This shows wherewithal, a willingness to observe and adapt and develop, "I'm sure our packs will change many times during those 2189 miles."
    Good points. The beauty of the AT is that gear can be changed out every 3-5 days. Nothing is etched in stone and everything is open to change. I posted this a while back but nothing much has changed other than a couple of additions that are in another reply. For the first few hundred miles I'll be resupplying approximately every five days. Locations on or very close to the trail. List is posted on front page of WB. Dehydrates meals I have made. As for sleeping blankets and quilts. I have several ranging from 0-50 AT my disposal and if need be, overnights to a drop.

Sorry for the late response. I'll try try to monitor responses. I've been busy and on other sites.

TTYL

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Outstanding, practically a dream kit, nicely done! Do you have a pro deal with zpacks????? :-)

LOL I was thinking similar. no worries

I did have a use numerous times for a little swiss army knife, 0.7 ounces, I think I used the little scissors a bunch of times, and the tweezer is handy. Nail clippers?

tweezers are tick ready

One silly question: why a 60L pack for a sub 9 lb base? Since the pack is so light, no worries, but I just think 50L or less is all anyone needs for 3-season AT hiking.

Same thought here. Long large food hauls? Hauling heads of lettuce? Anticipating buying souvenirs along the way? they had a snow globe of Gatlinburg for sale in that town. stocking up on pecan logs for Christmas gifts?

BTW: I did use a 20 degree bag for over half the trail, even in warm weather, works fine, you just use the unzipped bag like a quilt, and adjust home much body is covered.

What did you use the other 1/2 of the time?
    A friend, Will Wood of Zpacks, suggested the 60. If your familiar with their packs the top is a roll down. The only difference between their 50 and 60 is the extra material which doesn't WEIGHT that much. BTW, like most packs the out pockets and pounces are inclusive of the size.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    A friend, Will Wood of Zpacks, suggested the 60. If your familiar with their packs the top is a roll down. The only difference between their 50 and 60 is the extra material which doesn't WEIGHT that much. BTW, like most packs the out pockets and pounces are inclusive of the size.

Right. For their 55 liter pack, the main body is around 44 liters.

i like your set up a lot. you're a bit more militant than me, and it shows in your base weight. i'm setting out on march 6th. feeling a little cold already with my clothing selection, but i figure i can make changes on the fly and only suffer a night or two at the most. hope to see you out there! https://lighterpack.com/r/7inyld

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++