WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I want to know how much these ultralight people weigh. Bodyweight please...

Really, you might be able to drop a lot more pounds more easily than spending $$$ for gear that's a few ounces lighter.

It's the elephant in the room (or on the trail).
    I agree that will also help. I am on the heavy side and trying to lose weight to get ready for the hike. I was able to get 4 backpacking trips in this past summer to get ready for a long distance hike. The first was on the AT and the others in PA, OH and WV. The last one was the hardest for me and should have been the easiest. Even though I am overweight I was hiking on the average of 20-25 miles a week plus hitting the gym. I developed a bad heal spur that kept me from hiking for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. (every time I thought it was OK to hike, I would hike and after a mile I would find myself in terrible pain so I finally took the time off to let it heal correctly. However because of that on my last hike i (Norhfork trail WV) I was not physically ready for it. I was also carrying around 38 lbs (pretty stupid and it wiped me out) So I realized I have to go lighter on both sides, (my stomach and pack) I have a new zpack arc haul on its way and with some other changes I should now be well under 20 minus food and water. BTW I'm back to hiking 20 some miles a week plus the gym and will be adding my backpack in about a month on those day hikes. Still have a lot of weight to lose but on my way.
    Last edited by FiftyNine; 12-26-2016 at 12:42.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    +
    It might be more comfortable to carry weight on your body than on your back
    but if your 10-50 lbs overweight it still slows you down and tires you horribly on uphills.

If you are UL and dont routinely hike 17-25 mpd, you probably have other significant issues that are attempting to compensate for by a lighter pack.

Some, like bad knees , or being 70 yrs old, arent much you can do anything about.
    Some, like being fat, you certainly can. And its in your general best interest to do so.
    There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Whats with the anti-UL attitudes here?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Whats with the anti-UL attitudes here?
    Im not against UL

But people that can shed 30 lbs will benefit more by doing so than shaving 5 lbs off pack ...and its free

Just not easy

They should do it for the sole reason it makes them healthier.

We have a nation of overweight people, many depending on drugs to compensate for littany of problems . Problems that are often solved with wt reduction, diet, and excercise

I have a family member with a breast reduction surgery scheduled to help with back and neck pain. She could try shedding 40 lbs first....too hard....slice em off. Insane.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-26-2016 at 12:57.

Im not against UL

But people that can shed 30 lbs will benefit more by doing so than shaving 5 lbs off pack ...and its free

Just not easy

We have a nation of overweight people, many depending on drugs to compensate for littany of problems . Problems that are often solved with wt reduction, diet, and excercise

I have a family member with a breast reduction surgery scheduled to help with back and neck pain. She could try shedding 40 lbs first....too hard....slice em off. Insane.
    Wow. Speechless....

Images

Im not against UL

Just not easy

I cant comment on your family member but some women have large breast that are actually too big for their frame despite their body fat. A reduction is often only recommended inside a certain BF% range. Not sure what that has to do with a gear list or UL backpacking though lol

Journal Entries

I cant comment on your family member but some women have large breast that are actually too big for their frame despite their body fat. A reduction is often only recommended inside a certain BF% range. Not sure what that has to do with a gear list or UL backpacking though lol
    Some people look for the easy bandaid, instead of attacking root of problems.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-26-2016 at 15:28.

"Instead of going on a diet, I am going to have big pieces of my breasts cut out under general anesthesia!"

Said no...woman...ever...

Easy Band-Aid(tm)??????

Getting your breasts sliced open, 1/2 of breasts removed, breasts stitched back up, all under general anesthesia...

I'd hate to see your definition of an easy fix mental illness..does it involve pre-frontal lobotomies?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    "Instead of going on a diet, I am going to have big pieces of my breasts cut out under general anesthesia!"

Said no...woman...ever...

I wish that was true. Its not.
    Peoples faces and bodies are sliced and diced everyday just because they think it will make them look better.

Theres a reason fitness models have to get implants

boobs are mostly fat, by the time they get lean, theres no boob left

Do runners not have boobs....or do girls that have boobs not run?

Eternal question.

Images

I think we killed this thread

Well i have a question. Any Feb starters bringing gaiters? I don't like snow in my shoes but, if its unlikely to snow more that 2 inches and it doesn't stick around i think ill save the $$.

No not yet. I wast to hear more about boobs?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oventoasted View Post
    Well i have a question. Any Feb starters bringing gaiters? I don't like snow in my shoes but, if its unlikely to snow more that 2 inches and it doesn't stick around i think ill save the $$.
    I like the lightweight gaiters for when I go to shorts to hike in when it warms up. Keeps the pebbles and sticks out.

I have carried 30lbs on my back both as skinny (in shape) and as chunky (out of shape). 30lbs felt the exact same each time.

@RoamingGnome I see you don't have any cuben fiber repair items on your list, do you plan on adding them? Or what are your thoughts on dealing with small holes in the tent?

Journal Entries
    Images

I just ordered some dirty girl gaiters I don't know if I'll use them for sure though
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Snow more than 2"? It depends. It's too soon to know.
    Snow more than 2" deep lasting for a few days. Very probable. Highly likely. In February, March and April. Or totally unlikely.
    You won't know until May.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Bring the gaiters unless you plan to skip gsmnp.

You realize upper elevations get about 2 ft snowfall in feb and march, right?

You might get lucky and hit a dry week. I would not bank on it.

Bring the gaiters unless you plan to skip gsmnp.

You realize upper elevations get about 2 ft snowfall in feb and march, right?

You might get lucky and hit a dry week. I would not bank on it.
    awesome! didnt think the south got that much snow. was thinking it was just southerns panicking over flurries as ive seen before.

Images

awesome! didnt think the south got that much snow. was thinking it was just southerns panicking over flurries as ive seen before.
    lol You need to get out more mate.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++