WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    ADVStrom14, don't let the talk deter you. It ain't that hard, just needs a little planning. Get SGT Rock's guide, print the info for the reroutes, and follow the white diamonds. If I can do it, any nitwit can.
    Thanks! Listening to you all talk is a little overwhelming. I just want to get out and go so I'm trying to at least get my ducks in a row so that I can be as prepared as possible. Unless I manage something big before then, this will be my first "big" trip.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    Thanks! Listening to you all talk is a little overwhelming. I just want to get out and go so I'm trying to at least get my ducks in a row so that I can be as prepared as possible. Unless I manage something big before then, this will be my first "big" trip.

Thanks everyone for the info.
    You're welcome. You will be fine and will fall in love with this trail, as have countless others. Only once have I seriously thought I was going to die while hiking the BMT.

October, 2015, I attempted a loop hike of the old and new BMT in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek wilderness. It was rainy, muddy, steep, and slippery so I was too slow and had to shorten the trip.

I started at Beech Gap, spent the night at Naked Ground, and hiked south the next morning. I turned off the BMT onto Ike Branch Trail which hadn't been maintained and was considered impassable (it took hours to traverse), spent the night next to Slickrock Creek, forded it 12 times (water was above my knees), and hiked up Big Stack Gap trail. Definitely the most difficult hike I've ever done.

Happy trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    You're welcome. You will be fine and will fall in love with this trail, as have countless others. Only once have I seriously thought I was going to die while hiking the BMT.

October, 2015, I attempted a loop hike of the old and new BMT in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek wilderness. It was rainy, muddy, steep, and slippery so I was too slow and had to shorten the trip.

I started at Beech Gap, spent the night at Naked Ground, and hiked south the next morning. I turned off the BMT onto Ike Branch Trail which hadn't been maintained and was considered impassable (it took hours to traverse), spent the night next to Slickrock Creek, forded it 12 times (water was above my knees), and hiked up Big Stack Gap trail. Definitely the most difficult hike I've ever done.

Happy trails!
    Now we're talking!!! You're describing routes I know well filled with my own blood, sweat and tears (along with the loss of a few major appendages).

I think I know your route except after Naked Ground you went North the next morning, not south. Right? Okay, afterwhich you dropped to Yellowhammer gap and took Ike Branch to Calderwood lake and turned left and went up the Slickrock Creek trail 12 crossings past Wildcat Falls to crossing #11 and the Big Stack Gap trailhead. (The actual 12th crossing would've taken you to the Big Fat Gap trailhead and/or the start of the Nutbuster trail up to Naked Ground).

So when you pulled Big Stack to Fodderstack Ridge, did you hike south all the way back to Beech Gap? That's a long haul.

Btw, here's a pic of the lower part of the Slickrock Creek trail and one of the 4 footbridges---(one of the 4 was recently updated and replaced---see bottom pic)---

To bring back memories of Slickrock Creek and all the crossings, check out my Slickrock Creek keyword pics---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keywo...krock%20creek/

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Now we're talking!!! You're describing routes I know well filled with my own blood, sweat and tears (along with the loss of a few major appendages).

I think I know your route except after Naked Ground you went North the next morning, not south. Right? Okay, afterwhich you dropped to Yellowhammer gap and took Ike Branch to Calderwood lake and turned left and went up the Slickrock Creek trail 12 crossings past Wildcat Falls to crossing #11 and the Big Stack Gap trailhead. (The actual 12th crossing would've taken you to the Big Fat Gap trailhead and/or the start of the Nutbuster trail up to Naked Ground).

So when you pulled Big Stack to Fodderstack Ridge, did you hike south all the way back to Beech Gap? That's a long haul.

Btw, here's a pic of the lower part of the Slickrock Creek trail and one of the 4 footbridges---(one of the 4 was recently updated and replaced---see bottom pic)---

To bring back memories of Slickrock Creek and all the crossings, check out my Slickrock Creek keyword pics---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keywo...krock%20creek/
    oops, you're right, it was north. I did not go to Calderwood Lake. I was attempting this route.

image.jpeg

BMT is awesome. You will love it. Like others said, it will be hot. I hiked part of this trail in the middle of summer when I section hiked the entire trail last year. There were some climbs that everything on my body was soaked with sweat, but I don't remember water being too much of a problem.

The water problem also depends on your MPD. If you can do 15-20 mpd comfortable, then water is less likely to be a problem (i.e., you will see more water sources simply because you are covering more distance).

Also, it is summer. Expect some a few overgrown sections. Just comes with the territory in hiking in the summer.

Let us know how it goes. I love the BMT. It is an awesome trail.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Right this minute water sources are low to nothing, except for major creek crossings. But as you say, pulling 15 to 20 mile days will get you across enough major creeks to provide water.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    BMT is awesome. You will love it. Like others said, it will be hot. I hiked part of this trail in the middle of summer when I section hiked the entire trail last year. There were some climbs that everything on my body was soaked with sweat, but I don't remember water being too much of a problem.

The water problem also depends on your MPD. If you can do 15-20 mpd comfortable, then water is less likely to be a problem (i.e., you will see more water sources simply because you are covering more distance).

Also, it is summer. Expect some a few overgrown sections. Just comes with the territory in hiking in the summer.

Let us know how it goes. I love the BMT. It is an awesome trail.
    Awesome! Thanks!

Jes

Right this minute water sources are low to nothing, except for major creek crossings. But as you say, pulling 15 to 20 mile days will get you across enough major creeks to provide water.
    I plan to do about 15 per day. I figure that is realistic for me. Hopefully by June we will have some more water or that mileage will get me from source to source.

Jes

I plan to do about 15 per day. I figure that is realistic for me. Hopefully by June we will have some more water or that mileage will get me from source to source.

Jes
    Out of the abundance of caution, consider leaving a water cash at one of the gaps with easy road access. At least that way you can try to plan the trip with knowledge of the water cash.

But it sounds like you are doing the Smokies section of the BMT if I read your post correctly.

If you haven't been to mount sterling, consider camping there. It is an amazing place. 360 degree views. Possibly my favorite place on the BMT. It is about 8 miles from Big Creek Ranger Station. This may be a short day for you, but it is a pretty rough climb up. It is a lot of elevation gain quickly. If this is too short of a day, the other option would be Laurel Gap shelter about 14 miles. There is water at this shelter year round to the best of my knowledge.

Remember in the smokies you have to make reservations at specific campsites ahead of time. The popular ones go fast. The campsite can first be reserved 30 days from your stat date.

If you take the short day for an amazing night sky on Mt. Sterling, I'd make my next campsite Campsite 47 Enloe Creek Campsite. Guaranteed water and swimming hole in awesome campsite. This would be about 15 miles from Mt. Sterling, but only 10 miles from the shelter.

I am not sure if this is too much information or not. That being said, I don't remember water ever being a problem in the smokies. Most of the water sources (but not all) are very reliable.

I section hiked the entire trail last year. This is by far my favorite trail. Happy to see others making it out there and enjoying the trail.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Or a water cache*** if you are semi-literate. . . .
    Foothills Trail - 14
    AT - 15% complete

Images

Most of the water sources (but not all) are very reliable.

just the high ridge water sources have been affected this year.....

mainly like along the AT south of newfound gap..........

for this thread----maybe mount sterling and laurel gap shelter could be at low flow...

mount sterling's spring is a small one to begin with, same with the one directly outside of the shelter...

not sure how they have been flowing this year....

the other place that may have a low flow would be at CS 52----newton bald campsite......

thats not much of a spring either but again, not sure how it is flowing this year........

this year is one of the driest we have seen, it seems so its the litmus test of how the springs are flowing.....

As far as the reliability, locations, and current status of BMT water I'd strongly rec carrying the BMT pocket size Data Book, know how to read a map(even a Nat Geo TI GSMNP lists many water locations), and if strongly concerned, particularly at the two locations Tipi mentioned, inquire at the GSMNP Back Country Office. There is a lot of up and down roller coaster type terrain on the BMT through GSMNP. If its hot and it may be in Oct you should know your water situation. Current info about the back country not only comes from Backcountry Hiking Rangers but from people like you and me who are willing to connect and share this info.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

this year is one of the driest we have seen, it seems so its the litmus test of how the springs are flowing.....
    The worst I saw it was 2005-2006 when Bob Spring (both sources) went dry. This could rival it. (The spring at Naked Ground never went dry).

Images

The worst I saw it was 2005-2006 when Bob Spring (both sources) went dry. This could rival it. (The spring at Naked Ground never went dry).

speaking of that area...............

the partners of joyce kilmer area posted this on their FB page last week...

:Water Status along Stratton-Hangover Ridge. As of Sept. 27, the only water along that ridge is at Naked Ground, pictured. Small, but adequate supply. All other normal sources are dry due to drought.:

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    speaking of that area...............

the partners of joyce kilmer area posted this on their FB page last week...

:Water Status along Stratton-Hangover Ridge. As of Sept. 27, the only water along that ridge is at Naked Ground, pictured. Small, but adequate supply. All other normal sources are dry due to drought.:
    Have a link to their Facebook page?

Actually, if you stand in Cold Spring Gap below Bob Bald and head down into the "wedge" to the east you'll intersect Bob Creek which always has water. On my next trip I'll swing down there for my water and then climb up to the Bob.

Naked Ground always has water so it's a good place to stock up when camping on Hangover Mt.

No, this is not too much information. It's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I am hiking SoBo and I like the idea of a short first day since I will have to get to the trailhead and get started. Especially if I can spend the evening at such a beautiful place.

I appreciate all the information from everyone. I am really trying to make sure that I do account for water and the possibility that I will need more than normal due to heat and sweat but trying to anticipate the weather conditions in June...in NC... I know I'll have to work that part out as we get closer.

Thinking about bumping this up to December - over Christmas break. Thoughts?

Thinking about bumping this up to December - over Christmas break. Thoughts?
    Perfect time. Last December I was out nearby and got caught in a 75 hour rainstorm with cold temps but at least water was abundant. Let's hope we get some rain between now and then. Oh and in December you won't have to worry about yellow jackets.

Oh and in December you won't have to worry about yellow jackets.
    YELLOW JACKETS?!!?!? I hate those things!

Actually, that is part of the reason I am thinking about moving it up. The heat I can handle but swatting bugs all day (especially stinging ones) is not a thing I look forward to. I was looking at average temps and precips and it seems as though, with the proper clothing, I should be fine. (Said, in a slightly apprehensive and questioning tone)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++