WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpack Light 70 (My Trail Co.)

Hello everyone! First post here.

I've been sort of an old school, heavy, kitchen sink type in the past and I want to lighten up. We have three kids under 10, so there are lots of car camping and short-hike trips where weight isn't an issue. However, I also like to get out on longer trips, anywhere from 2-5 nights, a few times a year. When I was a strapping young lad, I would slough off the weight, but since I've gotten older my gear keeps feeling heavier, even though it's the same weight... My two oldest are also probably about ready to start going out on longer overnights with their own small packs, so I want to make sure I still have some extra capacity since I will likely be carrying some extra food, etc... for my trailmates.

For the longer trips, looking to the future, I'm starting to suffer a bit under the weight of my old Gregory Palisades and want a new pack. It's still in great shape, but is somewhere in the 7-8 lbs range by itself and I don't think any amount of modding/trimming I could do would make a significant impact.

I've been debating different options and have a little more work to do figuring out my other kit and base weight before I settle on anything, but from what I can tell the BL 70 looks like it may be one of the best value UL packs out there right now, there just isn't much in terms of reviews available at the moment.

I understand that this is basically the new iteration of the defunct GoLite brand, but I'm not really interested in the politics there, just the packs.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any thoughts on pros/cons on this pack vs. the ULA Circuit or maybe one of the popular Opsrey models? Anything else I should look at?

If money was no object or I anticipated having the time to really put down a lot of miles every year, I'd probably be looking at HMG or Aarn packs, but as it is I'm looking for the most bang for my buck right now and $179 for the BL 70 almost seems too good to be true. Thoughts?

Journal Entries
    Images

inkynate: You don't seem like a gear junky, so this must be a significant emotional event for you. I recently bought an REI Flash 65 which weights about the same as the BL 70, and the design look similar. Most internal frame packs do. All I can say is that it looks like a solid pack, and at that price point if you don't like it, you'll be able to get most of your money back by selling it on WB. Go for it. Or else get thee to a good outdoor sports store with knowledgable staff, and try on a range of packs in the store. I doubt you'd go wrong with the BL 70, though.

There is an interesting pack coming out with collaboration between Andrew Skurka and Sierra Designs that might work well for you. It's called the Flex Capacitor and has the ability to go from 40-60L with a gusseted design for a little over two pounds. The reason I suggest this pack is that it would great to have the extension capabilities for carrying the extra gear or food for your kids but then can be cinched down to a smaller pack for when you are out alone. Skurka puts a lot of thought and trial into anything he designs so I would have a lot of faith in this pack:

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/sierra-...ckpack-teaser/

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/sales-p...ck-stands-out/

I think they are pre-order only right now, or full production isn't in full swing until next year. I guess it depends on when you need a pack.

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacking-packs/

Very modular, expandable and comfortable with a load.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    inkynate: You don't seem like a gear junky, so this must be a significant emotional event for you. I recently bought an REI Flash 65 ... I doubt you'd go wrong with the BL 70, though.
    Thanks Greenlight,

My dad might disagree as he's always calling me a gear junky, but I would say I'm only mildly so at best

I have a lot of nicer stuff, but tend to be pretty deliberate about my purchases and then stick with them until there is a compelling reason to make a change. My last tent purchase was an MSR Skinny Too, which is a bit of a luxury, but I got a fantastic deal on closeout and despite some quirks have been really happy with it. My wife also just surprised me with an Alite Monarch, which after one trip will likely be considered as "essential" on future trips

I'll take a look at the Flash. We have a local REI and a Field & Stream nearby where I can try stuff on, but my Gregory was also properly fitted, so with that as a reference I'm not too worried about ordering the right size if I go with something only available online like the BL 70.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    There is an interesting pack coming out with collaboration between Andrew Skurka and Sierra Designs that might work well for you. It's called the Flex Capacitor...
    Interesting, that will get some consideration. One of the features I like about the BL 70 is the ability to convert it to a 25l day pack, but I don't know if it allows any in-between options. The SD collab seems like maybe a different take on a similar concept.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacking-packs/

Very modular, expandable and comfortable with a load.
    Thank you. A bit outside of what I'm looking to spend at the moment, but I appreciate hearing about another line/manufacturer I wasn't aware of.

I had proceeds from several recent knife sales burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so after some further consideration I went ahead and ordered the BL 70 and a Neoair Xlite. These will hopefully be a couple of nice upgrades to my kit. Hoping to get 2-3 more short trips in this fall before we head into winter.

Would be interested in how it works out. Definitely provide a review once you have had the chance to use it a few times

interesting tents and pyramids they have.

Sure DuneElliot, I'll share my thoughts after I've used it a bit. I'm not sure how long they've been available, but I couldn't find any reviews outside of the few posted on the company site.

The tents and pyramids do look interesting, egible.

My new pack came in on Wed, no surprises really, it seems well constructed and the Dyneema seems like a tough material that should hold up well. I like the fit and it feels very comfortable under a test load walking around the house. The only thing I have some slight reservations on is the mesh used for the side and hip pockets. It's seems pretty light, so I'm not sure how resistant it will be to rips and tears, but I guess time will tell.

Obviously I haven't used them yet, but this pack and my new sleeping pad feel like a quantum leap forward from my old stuff. Probably not revolutionary to most of the folks here, but I'm still kind of blown away that my new pack plus my tent and sleeping pad weigh a bit less than my old Gregory alone. The Neoair is also quite impressive, I'm really stoked by how small it packs and how comfortable it is once inflated.

Other than that, at this point I can only say shipping was really quick and their customer service replied promptly to a few questions I asked via email. Here are a couple of quick shots:

Images

I always thought the GOlite Jam 70 was a good pack. Nice to see they are back in business because the performance v.s. price is pretty darn good.

The price points are pretty impressive.

++ New Posts ++