WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Woody Gap Camping?

Is there camping available near Woody Gap?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Images

Yes. 50' north of parking lot turn right.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Is it one of those areas where locals like to party on weekends?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Is it one of those areas where locals like to party on weekends?
    We were there last weekend. Two guys in parking lot were hanging out and asked for money to go buy noodles. They were probably harmless but I wondered why they were there if they could not hike. I would not want to camp near such a well traveled road. We camped 3.5 trail miles north of Woody at Lance creek. It does have water and is the only water until you get to Neels Gap.

It's the proximity to the road and the likelihood of undesirable traffic that concerned me, thus prompting my initial question. Thanks for the input.

Hike 1 mile north and camp on top of Preachers rock. Great tent sites on top behind the rocks.

++ New Posts ++