WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default BMT Thru the Smokies

My friend just finished his AT thru and is now attempting a BMT thru hike. He has invited me to join him and we are thinking about starting at the northern end of the Smokies and hiking SOBO.

I only have about 6 days to walk with him. My question to you is, where do you think I should join him? Ive heard the BMT thru the Smokis isnt particularly interesting (especially along the lake shore trail) and pretty difficult. Is there an 80 mi or so section that people prefer over the Smokies?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Well if you start at the north end and hike south you've got the climb up Mt. Sterling to look forward to!

The BMT through the Smokies is "ok". It's a lower altitude hike and if it has been raining a lot there are a couple of gnarly stream crossing but I remember it as pretty good hiking. The Lakeshore Trail will drive you a bit insane - there are points where you can shout over the water to someone who is 0.30 trail miles ahead or behind you.

Trace your hand on a piece of paper. That's the Lakeshore Trail.

Images

6 days will get you all the way through the park....

to be honest---i think the stretch from fontana down to the big bald area would be more interesting....

and you can be through that fairly quick...

maybe do half of the smokies and then some of the joyce kilmer stratton bald stretch...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    6 days will get you all the way through the park....

to be honest---i think the stretch from fontana down to the big bald area would be more interesting....

and you can be through that fairly quick...

maybe do half of the smokies and then some of the joyce kilmer stratton bald stretch...

Solid. What makes the big bald area more interesting than the Smokies?

Images

hmmmmmm........

that would be tough......

i guess maybe just the views....

it will be more ups and downs but it wont be as boring as lakeshore trail.....

Images

another way you could do it-----start at Newfound gap..........

do that chunk of the park all the way to the skyway or so..........

best of both worlds maybe....

if ya know dates, i may (and stress, may) be able to help with rides and what not.....

He plans on starting the 9th at the northern terminus of the BMT and walking south to Springer. Im currently trying to work my schedule around those dates but I may try for the next week if I decide not to hike the BMT thru the Smokies.

Images

9th of october?

i may be around the following weekend.....

but then a bunch of phish shows the next week......

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Well if you start at the north end and hike south you've got the climb up Mt. Sterling to look forward to!

Trace your hand on a piece of paper. That's the Lakeshore Trail.

he he he Just like Thanksgiving Day Turkeys drawn in Kindergarten. The Lakeshore Trail is now the Turkey Trace trail.

Trails are what we make of them. We decide on the experiences we have as hikers. If anything it's good to recognize backpacking is not just about backpacking. Upon recognizing that we don't have to be bored because an infinite number of other activities can be enjoyed on the hike.

When I was being bitchy, unappreciative, and bored about a Pinhoti Tr road walk it was 10-K who happily interrupted my negative mindset reminding me about this. Road walks can be part of the hike and offer different perspectives. Sometimes they are needed especially in this day and age as connector segments of a longer trail. I appreciate him offering that.

I've had great Lakeshore Tr hikes because:
    1)I stopped into Bryson City for a coffee at Mountain Perks getting quick rides into and back out of town from/to the parking lot near the Road to Nowhere Tunnel. Bryson City PD Officer kindly brought me back to the trail.

2) enjoying interesting different takes in conversation about GSMNP history as related from long time Bryson City residents

3) enjoying the tunnel because I emergency camped in it in a lightning thunderstorm(kinda spooky with the weird graffiti on the walls with the lighting), enjoyed hearing the normal level voices of people at the parking lot when at the other end of the tunnel because the tunnel acts to amplify noise

4) doing the bonus Goldmine Loop as an added on short hike

5) not having to deal with the crowds, permit competition, or shelter requirements of the AT or the mice at the AT shelters in GSMNP.

6) fishing along the way at Forney, Hazel, and Eagle Creeks as well as in several Fontana Lake coves which I bushwackecd or followed use trails to.

7) checking out the history of the town of Hazel Creek. A BIG part of hiking in a place that was once the home of so many is the history particularly GSMNP. As GSMNP visitors we should never forget that.

8 ) taking a side trip on a clear Oct day to Shuckstack Fire Tower. It sways slightly in strong winds. On a clear full moon night the view of the sky and surrounding hillsides can be grand.

Although I can say I enjoyed a BMT thru and another BMT completed hike done in three sections or the AT between Springer Mt and Davenport Gap of all those hikes a AT/BMT Figure 8 thru I enjoyed the most for its combined diversity of the AT and BMT. If not so obsessed with bagging another entire acronym LD trail, which can be difficult after recently completing an AT thru(I get the ABC trail bagging bug), recognizing the BMT for what it is and how it was envisioned - as part of a network of trails no less or no more significant than another the world of hiking becomes a much larger to be appreciated place. If one is willing to do this so many awesome self designed or suggested loops that include the BMT can be experienced.

http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Trails are what we make of them. We decide on the experiences we have as hikers. If anything it's good to recognize backpacking is not just about backpacking. Upon recognizing that we don't have to be bored because an infinite number of other activities can be enjoyed on the hike.

When I was being bitchy, unappreciative, and bored about a Pinhoti Tr road walk it was 10-K who happily interrupted my negative mindset reminding me about this. Road walks can be part of the hike and offer different perspectives. Sometimes they are needed especially in this day and age as connector segments of a longer trail. I appreciate him offering that.

I've had great Lakeshore Tr hikes because:
    1)I stopped into Bryson City for a coffee at Mountain Perks getting quick rides into and back out of town from/to the parking lot near the Road to Nowhere Tunnel. Bryson City PD Officer kindly brought me back to the trail.

2) enjoying interesting different takes in conversation about GSMNP history as related from long time Bryson City residents

3) enjoying the tunnel because I emergency camped in it in a lightning thunderstorm(kinda spooky with the weird graffiti on the walls with the lighting), enjoyed hearing the normal level voices of people at the parking lot when at the other end of the tunnel because the tunnel acts to amplify noise

4) doing the bonus Goldmine Loop as an added on short hike

5) not having to deal with the crowds, permit competition, or shelter requirements of the AT or the mice at the AT shelters in GSMNP.

6) fishing along the way at Forney, Hazel, and Eagle Creeks as well as in several Fontana Lake coves which I bushwackecd or followed use trails to.

7) checking out the history of the town of Hazel Creek. A BIG part of hiking in a place that was once the home of so many is the history particularly GSMNP. As GSMNP visitors we should never forget that.

8 ) taking a side trip on a clear Oct day to Shuckstack Fire Tower. It sways slightly in strong winds. On a clear full moon night the view of the sky and surrounding hillsides can be grand.

Although I can say I enjoyed a BMT thru and another BMT completed hike done in three sections or the AT between Springer Mt and Davenport Gap of all those hikes a AT/BMT Figure 8 thru I enjoyed the most for its combined diversity of the AT and BMT. If not so obsessed with bagging another entire acronym LD trail, which can be difficult after recently completing an AT thru(I get the ABC trail bagging bug), recognizing the BMT for what it is and how it was envisioned - as part of a network of trails no less or no more significant than another the world of hiking becomes a much larger to be appreciated place. If one is willing to do this so many awesome self designed or suggested loops that include the BMT can be experienced.

http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm

Interesting post. I will take many of your suggestions into consideration. Thanks

Mt Sterling offers the best view on the BMT in my opinion. It would be a shame to miss it. Don't expect anything like the AT. In comparison, there will be substantially fewer people. In my entire section hike, I only once had to share a campsite with someone other than my hiking partner. Often, over 30 mile sections, we wouldn't see more than 1 maybe 2 other people except in the popular sections.

Someone above suggested it, the 80-90 miles south of Fontana is really nice with several big views. Those would be my 2 suggestions.

You can take a look at this video: I make virtual hikes of the trails I hike. This video is the best of the BMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VnWORVMBGk
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Mt Sterling offers the best view on the BMT in my opinion. It would be a shame to miss it. Don't expect anything like the AT. In comparison, there will be substantially fewer people. In my entire section hike, I only once had to share a campsite with someone other than my hiking partner. Often, over 30 mile sections, we wouldn't see more than 1 maybe 2 other people except in the popular sections.

Someone above suggested it, the 80-90 miles south of Fontana is really nice with several big views. Those would be my 2 suggestions.

You can take a look at this video: I make virtual hikes of the trails I hike. This video is the best of the BMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VnWORVMBGk

Ive actually hiked the baxter creek trail as part of a loop a few years ago. We got sunrise and sunset from Mt. Sterling which was awesome. I remember thinking that I would never voluntarily walk UP the baxter creek trail after we came down it. haha..

Ideally I would start at Fontana and walk south. However the whole idea was to hike with by buddy and Ive already got my work schedule configured to take off the week of the 9th. So i either hike solo or just start at the north end of the BMT and walk south with him..

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post

Ive noticed your videos and will use them for my planning. Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions for points of interest or waypoints that should no be missed??

What both you and your friend should consider is where he's at recently coming off an AT thru and where you're at. It's common coming off a thru especially after completing that first longest distance longest duration one to date to want to get right back out there and bag another ABC picking up right where you left off at the end of the last thru. He has to likewise understand that's not where you are likely at. It doesn't end at understanding this either. Can each of you be willing to compromise your approaches some to enjoyably hike together?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What both you and your friend should consider is where he's at recently coming off an AT thru and where you're at. It's common coming off a thru especially after completing that first longest distance longest duration one to date to want to get right back out there and bag another ABC picking up right where you left off at the end of the last thru. He has to likewise understand that's not where you are likely at. It doesn't end at understanding this either. Can each of you be willing to compromise your approaches some to enjoyably hike together?

This is definitely something I have thought about and brought up to him. We are meeting soon to come up with a game plan and I intend to iron out those details

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for points of interest or waypoints that should no be missed??

---side trip to hangover
    ---bob's bald
    ---Whigg meadow
    ---Slickrock creek

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    ---side trip to hangover
    ---bob's bald
    ---Whigg meadow
    ---Slickrock creek

Arent these spots outside of the park?

Im going to go ahead and hike the BMT southbound thru the Smokies. So my points of interest question was in regard to places inside the park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++