AT 2012

Default recommend a baby carrier for mom

...daughter needs one. dual use: around town as well as day hikes. this is a new world for us, so your advice is appreciated.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...daughter needs one. dual use: around town as well as day hikes. this is a new world for us, so your advice is appreciated.
    EMS has a range of child carriers that look usable for a lot of different things. May be a good place to start?

Steven-
    the front carriers like- http://www.babybjorn.com/ or ergobaby-https://store.ergobaby.com/

Are probably the most popular and can be found on resale sites for moms. We preferred the ergobaby.

Those work best for the first year or more depending on how big the monsters get and you can carry a small daypack along with them. My wife used it a lot, me not so much (got to hot for me and the kiddos). While I wouldn't really call them a backpacking pack, JPD, was doing a good bit of hiking this way with her regular pack on the back. For the rest of us mortals... if you have a cuddler or snuggler they are damn handy for just trying to get anything done or when out and about and baby needs a rest.

Otherwise I would say just bite the bullet and buy an Osprey Poco Series pack. We goofed around being cheap with a hand-me down back carrier but that was when I was in shape and still it beat me up. No way would my wife even use it. The pack is big enough to a light overnighter or so solo with a kiddo- or an easier trip with a couple and they carry well and adjusted to both me (5'10" 220lb) and my wife (5'6" 120lbs).

I think it's the plus (middle of the three) that was most useful. It covered day trips- overnighters and now on kiddo two it has served well for several years as it adjusts well to the kids (crammed my 5 year old into it with a full load).

That said- everytime it's come up, like any pack, folks will extoll the virtues of the Deuter series... I believe REI and buybuybaby stores stock both.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Otherwise I would say just bite the bullet and buy an Osprey Poco Series pack. We goofed around being cheap with a hand-me down back carrier but that was when I was in shape and still it beat me up. No way would my wife even use it. The pack is big enough to a light overnighter or so solo with a kiddo- or an easier trip with a couple and they carry well and adjusted to both me (5'10" 220lb) and my wife (5'6" 120lbs).

I think it's the plus (middle of the three) that was most useful. It covered day trips- overnighters and now on kiddo two it has served well for several years as it adjusts well to the kids (crammed my 5 year old into it with a full load).
    For what it's worth, I bought a Poco Plus about a year ago based on one of Just Bill's posts and have never looked back. It's an excellent product that scales easily to virtually any size adult and carries comfortably.

I've used both a Snugli and an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder. I liked both.

The Snugli was a model from almost 30 years ago. It had an inner part that you put the baby's legs through and zipped up, and then an outer part that fastened around and covered all but the baby's head. You could arrange a bigger child with part of their legs out. It was made of corduroy, but that was okay because my two oldest were born in early December and a lot farther North. My oldest loved it - he liked being cuddled close and securely wrapped up. My second didn't like it as much - she liked room to move.

The Over The Shoulder Baby Holder worked well, but didn't feel as secure with a very small baby. (I did housework with my oldest in the Snugli.) On the other hand, it was much, much easier to put a sleeping baby down without waking him up, and it worked well with a much bigger child.

-FA

AT 2012

thanks all. passed on advice to my daughter! i'm suggesting they name her Speed Doe. Did you know that a female goat is called a Doe?
    Lazarus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hey, 1azarus, congrats on the grandkid! Ask Elf what he uses, I know I've seen pictures of him with Phineas in a carrier on his back.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

We like our Ergo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last month I hiked to Springer with my 1 year old on my back in an Ergo. It is great for day-to-day use around town, but also for day hikes because it is so light and has a pocket for my phone, keys, and ID.

Also check out the Tula carrier.

++ New Posts ++