WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Frogg Toggs Cleaning

I am thinking you shouldn't wash Frogg Toggs in a machine. Am i correct? I have wiped them down after use so they are mostly clean, but they have a odor from sweating in them. What is best way to get rid of this? I plan to use them over my down jacket in winter and don't want the down to pick up the bad odors.

I've had lots of success in cleaning/deodorizing gear, using a hot oxiclean soak, overnight, followed by a good rinse. I prefer the oxiclean free of perfumes. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxi-Clean...-3-lb/19406202

I washed by hand in regular dish washing liquid. Worked okay but I don't mind saying it was a major pain in the a**, doesn't really want to stay wet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Woolite makes these dry cleaning sheets that you could throw into a cool dryer with the Frogg Toggs. It should eliminate the smell. As long as the dryer doesn't get too hot, they should be okay. Turn 'em inside out first.

Probably a Mirazyme soak would have good promise or washing them in Sport Wash? Either one should get the stink out.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've washed mine in my front loader on gentle, cold water, hang dry. Not regularly but as needed. Top loader might be rough on them.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I wash mine in the washing machine and hang to dry. Washed it plenty of times and still holds up/water resistant.
    - Trail name: Thumper

As far as I know you should soak clothes in diluted vinegar which kills odor producing bacteria that washing with detergents doesn't achieve. Rain gear, depending on fabric, accumulates salt deposits that affect the performance. Hand washing it will enhance functionality.

Whatever you do with Frogg Toggs -- do NOT put them in the dryer! Air-dry only!

I'd just get a new one. By the time it needs to be washed, it's probably time to replace it anyway. Fogg Toggs aren't noted for their long term durability.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd just get a new one. By the time it needs to be washed, it's probably time to replace it anyway. Fogg Toggs aren't noted for their long term durability.
    Have you owned a set?

As far as durability, it varies by product type. I've bought multiple suits for my family, myself included. The set I got from Wal-Mart, the thinnest, I don't trust to use for backpacking but I use it for car camping and front country. My original suit eventually pilled and started to wet out so I retired it. The kid sized ones are made of the same material but kids grow out of them before wearing them out. I have a set of the Bullfrog type which is stiffer material and more rugged. They aren't expensive but it's ok to wash them rather than throwing them out.

I have used them in the winter but in general I don't because a rip or tear then might have more serious consequences.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Have you owned a set?

As far as durability, it varies by product type. I
    Yes, someone gave me his jacket - brand new - as he was heading out and I desperately needed to replace my poncho with something more effective. That jacket saved my life the next day. I was pretty impressed with how well it worked.

But it was one of the thin, cheap Walmart ones. It's gotten light to moderate use and it's already showing wear. I can see pin holes and places where the coating is delaminating or rubbing off. Now I just carry it in my day pack for an emergency rain jacket while on summer day hikes.

I have one of their rain suits and it is not the lightweight one. Also have a parka. They are both pretty sturdy. I got the DriDucks because I didn't think the old ones were lightweight enough. I doubt they will take the abuse, but if you know who Dixie is, she used Frogg Toggs for half the AT. Seem to have held up well for her anyway.

I was surprised to see my thread from over a year ago pop back up to the top.

I still have that pair, but unfortunately the pants split when I bent over one day. I have used duct tape on them and so far seems to be holding.

Just to be clear I've never washed my Wal-Mart Frogg Toggs they get light use. I'd probably hand wash that set.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I was surprised to see my thread from over a year ago pop back up to the top.I still have that pair, but unfortunately the pants split when I bent over one day. I have used duct tape on them and so far seems to be holding.
    These old threads do pop back up from time to time.

Pants definitely have a short life span. I've seen Toggs suits on the trail which were mostly duct tape they'd been patched so many times.

++ New Posts ++