WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for Female Hiking Partner to Flip-Flop the AT in 2017

I am contemplating a flip-flop thru hike in 2017. Planning to start in Waynesboro, VA on April 2nd & hike north - hoping to reach Katahdin by the 4th of August and then my husband will bring me (us) back to Waynesboro to complete the hike SoBo to Springer Mt. I am 52 years old and haven't done a great deal of long distance backpacking so my goal is 10-15 miles a day to start. I am easy to get along with but see this as a chance to get into my own head so I won't be all up in yours. Husband plans to support me along the way and can provide frequent slackpacking. He is supportive but insists that I find a female to hike with since he doesn't like the idea of me being out there totally on my own.

P.S. (I am not completely stuck on the idea of the flip-flop and would consider a NoBo hike if I had good enough reasons to deal with the crowded shelters & campgrounds.)

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze & Good Luck on your adventure !!
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Quote Originally Posted by Moyerdurhame View Post
    Husband... is supportive but insists that I find a female to hike with since he doesn't like the idea of me being out there totally on my own.
    My husband used to feel this way. I took him on a weekend trip and he saw for himself that you can see 35 others in a morning and are hardly alone or completely on your own.

I also did some solo trips and I keep managing to walk out of the forest in one piece, so he isn't so freaked out anymore.

Best at wishes to you!

If you were lookinh at a 2020 hike id be in.

Thanks for the welcoming words and kind wishes. DLP: My husband wasn't too worried about my solo hike until I decided I wanted to flip-flop. But the faster hikers who start from Springer in early March will already be coming through Waynesboro by early April any way. Won't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Moyerdurhame View Post
    Thanks for the welcoming words and kind wishes. DLP: My husband wasn't too worried about my solo hike until I decided I wanted to flip-flop. But the faster hikers who start from Springer in early March will already be coming through Waynesboro by early April any way. Won't they?
    I'm on the west coast... But someone can answer your question.

++ New Posts ++