WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wild Cat - Corliss Camp

I completely forgot to post on here about this, but I stayed at Corliss Camp the first night after my final resupply in Johnson. That night I didn't sleep very well, and besides the normal night time noises I kept hearing what I can only guess were the screams of a wild cat. I asked two of the guys about it in the morning, but they said they slept hard the entire night and didn't hear anything. I assumed it was just in my dreams then (after all, I did pack a 6 pack in for us), but the other guy that we were hiking with said he heard it too.

I looked up bobcat and mountain lion screams on youtube, but I didn't really find anything that convinced me of what it was... the only thing I recall about the sound is that I thought something was dying at first, and then I remembered people saying that mountain lion screams sound like women screaming, or something like that...

Has anyone else had a similar experience up north? Any locals, per chance? I did a little bit of googling earlier today when I initially remembered, and came across an article saying that the area around Lake Champlain is a natural pathway for animals from the Adirondacks to the Green Mountains. I'm just speculating, of course, since I didn't see anything... but it is fun to think about

I finished the LT August 20th, so this was around the 16th

Couple times a week I hear our local foxes bag a rabbit, all hell breaks loose for about a minute and a half, then the silence of the night slips back in.

it could have been a screech owl.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Fisher cats make some gawdawful noise, a likely bet.

...and like you said either the Fisher or its prey sounds like something is definitely dying.

Images

Porcupines make an awful scream during mating season, but that's usually later in the fall.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

We saw a couple of large Fisher Cats near there last year, so that seems possible. Cute (but BIG) critters.

Journal Entries

I never even heard of a Fisher Cat. Just googled and the pics on Google show them things are MEAN! I'd be more worried about that than a bear or a wildcat!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Porcupines make an awful scream during mating season, but that's usually later in the fall.
    You'd scream, too!

Images

During my LT thru last summer, I heard what turned out to be a Saw Whet Owl. Initially it had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I was at Corliss Camp as well. Owls make many different calls. Here's a sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezaBqCf0hv0

I recorded the sound on my phone and then compared it to Waites IBird App. for connfirmation. http://ibird.com/app/ipad/waites-gui...ds-of-america/

++ New Posts ++