WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Article: The Longing

AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I'm glad you listened to yourself, finally. Sounds like you had to shout The Virginia section seems like a good way to do this. 550 miles at a time will get you through the whole trail in less time than you've spent longing to do it. I'm retiring next Spring, and planning either a section hike or a flip-flop thru hike starting in Virginia around the 10th of April (I have not been able to muster enthusiasm on the home front for being gone 6 months!). If you come across a pack beside a stream, and see another old broad fly fishing, that's probably me. I picked Virginia for reasons only an angler would understand: with the longest stretch of the trail running through it, it's the one state where I can get my money's worth out of a non-resident fishing license. When are you planning to start?

I'm glad to see you're doing squats and running. I know a lot of people say you train for the hike by hiking, but I think that's lousy practice for people who have a lot of miles on their joints. Get the muscles in shape first, so they can take some of the weight off the joints.

I have the same longing Lillie. I too am 55/F and live vicariously through my daughter, who is a white water rafting guide on the Chattooga River in GA/SC. But I want to have my own adventure, and long to hike the trail. Any updates on your progress?

Quote Originally Posted by SueJhiker View Post
    I have the same longing Lillie. I too am 55/F and live vicariously through my daughter, who is a white water rafting guide on the Chattooga River in GA/SC. But I want to have my own adventure, and long to hike the trail. Any updates on your progress?
    I hiked this past summer. I was unable to complete the entire State of Virginia. I began my hike June first and hiked for three weeks. I was only able to make 143 miles before my knees gave out. I ended in Pearisburg, VA with multiple fractures in both shins and arthritis in my knees.

Since then I've been out on the AT twice and have covered about 30 additional miles. I am planning to hike out again next May for three to four weeks and try and finish VA.

You know, its only yourself stopping you from being and doing. Once you realize this, you can do and be, anything.

I am training for more strenuous walking by carrying an IF pack filled with water bottles for a total weight of about 26 lbs. I carry it when doing my evening walks, or at least did so before it started getting dark too early to be walking near traffic. It seems to work and it gets muscles working that are not readily trained in any other way.

Default I too long to be on the AT

I started hiking because of the movie THE WAY, was initially planning on doing the pilgrimage till I learned about the AT. Ive started section hiking in 2014, I would like to cover more territory next spring. I admire your drive, I know what its like to feel obligated to stay home, but its our turn, one step at a time...
    Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondlil View Post
    I hiked this past summer. I was unable to complete the entire State of Virginia. I began my hike June first and hiked for three weeks. I was only able to make 143 miles before my knees gave out. I ended in Pearisburg, VA with multiple fractures in both shins and arthritis in my knees.

Since then I've been out on the AT twice and have covered about 30 additional miles. I am planning to hike out again next May for three to four weeks and try and finish VA.

You know, its only yourself stopping you from being and doing. Once you realize this, you can do and be, anything.

The movie, (and the book) "Wild" started the same longing in me. Now it's all I think of. I tell my friends it is like a "calling". I'm in the early planning stages of a Virginia section hike in 2017. My wife thinks I'm nuts (at 55). I just continue to read and watch videos until May, or July.

++ New Posts ++