WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

Default Wingfoot's Trail guide?

Does anyone know if Wingfoot is still making AT guides? And if so, when will this year's be ready and how to get one?
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Images

Go to his website, trailplace.com. As I understand it, the guides just arrived from the printer and are ready for shipping now. You order one by sending him your check (get the address and amount from the site).

Jane in CT

It should be out any day now, unless it's been delayed. According to his website it was supposed to have arrived from the printer today (11 January).

Arrow Go here...

I am sure he will be glad to sell you one.

http://trailplace.com/portal/index.php

or you go here and get IMHO a better handbook:

http://www.aldha.org/
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Even though I've been an ALDHA Companion field editor, I've always liked Wingfoot's book better. And then, once he used the databook mileages, it made it even better than before.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Companion is going to take a similar approach and this years guide should be the best ever.

When you buy the Companion, you not only help ALDHA, but the ATC and the trail. When you buy WF's, well....

The 2006 Companion should be ready by the end of this month, and perhaps sooner. The chief editor told me today she'd write me when it was available for ordering; as soon as I know more, I'll let you guys know. In the meantime, the 2005 Edition can be perused at www.aldha.org

Images

Default Wow!

Thanks for the very quick responses! I will definitely check into the ALDHA Companion too before I buy. Seriously now, wasn't expecting such quick responses!
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

mattydt20

What does Wingfoot provide in his guide that aren't provided in the data book or companion?

A combo of both.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydt20
    What does Wingfoot provide in his guide that aren't provided in the data book or companion?
    Self authored self praise.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by mattydt20
    When you use Wingfoot's book, everything is laid out for you in the manner easiest for you to use. The companion has all the information, but has mileages from shelter to shelter, and it is hard to determine mileages from shelters to roads. The Data Book has good mileage, water source, etc data, but the publishers are still clinging to a Maine to Georgia format, which makes it a little tougher to use. Not impossible, of course, just more difficult than it need be.

Basically, Wingfoot has identified his audience and sells what they are looking for, unlike the Companion and Data Book, which are trying to dictate to customers. I think that if ALDHA and the ATC were responsive to thruhikers' needs, WIngfoot would be out of business in a couple of years. I certainly would switch to the Companion/Data Book combo if they would lay it out better.
    Frosty

Ordered Wingfoots guide today.
    Wouldn't do the trail without it.

Has there been some sort of falling out between Wingfoot and the community?

Have ALDHA's Companion. Good, But I hate spiral binding (evil) and "long" format.

Images

in 2000, wingfoot kept my money and never sent my book, due to delay's at the printer. i never got my book or my money after repeated attempts during and aflter my hike. eventually i was called a liar and told that i etiher didn't order a book or i was given my money back, due to the fact that it had all been taken care of. i've got a memory like a fu***n' elephant, and i ain't no liar. same thing happened to S.T.R. in 2000 as well. that was 6 years ago so maybe things have changed, bud i'd lay my money on the companion.

Gypsy got her Handbook in November of 2000 after she was done hiking for the year.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Gypsy got her Handbook in November of 2000 after she was done hiking for the year.
    Same here, but it was two copies for me... wanted the home folks to have the same info I did if something came up-- towns, phone numbers, post offices, etc.

Images

I can totally understand the need to explain the character behind each publisher of the 2 different types of thru-hiking books discussed here. I thank everyone, on both sides of the fence and those in the middle, for their time spent posting and for the readily available information.

Now, I don't want this thread to get out of control and have it turn into a who's-who. That accomplishes nothing but negative things in the long run. I, and anyone else who might have wanted to know the answer to my question, now have 2 possible avenues to look to for a hiking companion/databook, and the links needed to order which we choose.

With that said, could the moderator's lock this thread, as it has already served it's original purpose? Thanks!
    -Metallica

-Incubus-

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor

With that said, could the moderator's lock this thread, as it has already served it's original purpose? Thanks!
    Excellent suggestion, Tudor. You are wise beyond your years.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by general
    in 2000, wingfoot kept my money and never sent my book, due to delay's at the printer. i never got my book or my money after repeated attempts during and aflter my hike. eventually i was called a liar and told that i etiher didn't order a book or i was given my money back, due to the fact that it had all been taken care of. i've got a memory like a fu***n' elephant, and i ain't no liar. same thing happened to S.T.R. in 2000 as well. that was 6 years ago so maybe things have changed, bud i'd lay my money on the companion.
    You can get it on amazon.com in about a week.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

WF's Book: Well written, WF acts as your friendly hiking companion along the trip. includes much of the databook info. I too like the non-spiral format as I can rip out the pages. Only one editor, though, so the info tends to not be as updated

ATC/ALDHA Book: More utlitarian that the WF book. Many editors in the field, tends to be updated and more current. Does not currently have the databook type info so may not be as handy as the WF book. I don't like the spiral format.

Overall: The WF book is probably the better witten of the two. The ALDHA book seems to be more current. If the ALDHA/ATC book includes the databook type info as Sly suggested, it will probably be the more useful book overall.

The ATC/ALDHA book does directly benefit the ATC. That may or may not be a selling point.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth. Trying to keep a nuetral overview.

(And in a slightly not-so-nuetral way: I'd buy the ATC/ALDHA companion because I know many of the editors, been involved with ALDHA, and it supports the ATC. Nothing to do with WF. When I met him in 1998, he was very personable. Have not dealt with WF online in years, so I can not speak firsthand of his current online persona)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Prior to seeing this thread, I went to Wingfoot's site earlier this week with the intention of ordering his guide. Personally, I prefer the format of his handbook over the Companion. I bought and have been using the 2003 handbook but figured that the info is getting a bit old and it was time for an upgrade (as a section hiker that, at best gets in 100 - 150 miles each year, I can't justify a new guide every year).

What shocked me about the Handbook is that Wingfoot is charging $6 for shipping on ONE BOOK! That seemed high to me. Checking actual mailing cost for the book (using my 2003 handbook for checking weight), it comes to $2.07 for First Class or $1.59 for media mail. Even at $1 for the envelope, that is still a pretty stiff premium for shipping.

I guess I'll wait and buy my copy from one of the outfitters along the trail this spring.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++