WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by longshank
    I've read that the updates are not vast and sweeping changes, generally speaking, and I think I would rather have a year-old version than risk going without one at all.

That's great for you, although that wasn't really my question. The most current handbook I could find on Amazon was 2002 ... there was a copy available from a re-seller (not amazon directly) for $184. Hopefully, that price was in error. I'd take a year old version than go without as well, but they don't seem plentifully available on Amazon.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    Longshank: Can you post a link because all I see on Amazon are older versions of it carried by re-seller's ... I always thought if you wanted the newest version, you had to purchase it directly from Wingfoot's site.
    He says on his site, and I quote, "The only place you will able to get a copy will be here on Trailplace until April 1 or so."

WF currently ONLY sells his book at his site. If you want my 2000 copy in perfect shape (received in November 2000) I'll let it go for $183. I'll even throw in free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by totempole99
    He says on his site, and I quote, "The only place you will able to get a copy will be here on Trailplace until April 1 or so."
    I got a reply from WF yesterday when I asked about buying from an outfitter. He said:

"We will start shipping to outfitters later this spring. For now, we will sell only through the website to give us a chance to sell as many books as possible. We need to make a profit, too, so that we can continue our work from year to year, and the book is our only product, unlike outfitters that carry many products needed by hikers."

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    WF currently ONLY sells his book at his site. If you want my 2000 copy in perfect shape (received in November 2000) I'll let it go for $183. I'll even throw in free shipping.
    You know, what I like best about you is your generosity.

(I thought he only sold them on his site ... but I was just curious if Longshank found a better alternative. Guess not ...)
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    That's great for you, although that wasn't really my question. The most current handbook I could find on Amazon was 2002 ... there was a copy available from a re-seller (not amazon directly) for $184. Hopefully, that price was in error. I'd take a year old version than go without as well, but they don't seem plentifully available on Amazon.
    All I'm saying is that if not getting your book in time is an issue, go with an earlier edidtion. Based on what I've read here, I'm going to order the 06 ed. for my 07 thru.

I found several errors between Tray and Dicks Creek Gap this fall. Water and camp area errors/mileage errors. But I still use the book!
    ad astra per aspera

Journal Entries

All I'm saying is that if not getting your book in time is an issue, go with an earlier edidtion. Based on what I've read here, I'm going to order the 06 ed. for my 07 thru.
    Wingfoot was in some financial difficulty several years ago, as a result one year his guide was promised, but not published.

It's my understanding that the problem has been resolved. I haven't heard any major problems in recent years.

Images

You can get it on amazon.com in about a week.
    i didn't go without. i just went without wingfoot's book.

You're neglecting to mention that he ships the book out Priority Mail. Last year, I got my copy no more than two days after he got my check. Parcel post mail can take seven to ten days; most folks are happy to pay a bit extra for shipping if it means the get the book immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    You're neglecting to mention that he ships the book out Priority Mail. Last year, I got my copy no more than two days after he got my check. Parcel post mail can take seven to ten days; most folks are happy to pay a bit extra for shipping if it means the get the book immediately.
    You are right Jack, and Dan clarified that. Priority mail is $4.05, which is much closer to what he charges ($6). I still think that I'll wait and buy it at face value from one of the outfitters on the trail. It is not worth the $6 premium to have it delivered to my door. I like to support the outfitters when I can anyway.

By the way, Jack, I enjoyed listening to the trailcast interview. Fun stuff.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

The reason I understand Wingfoot was the editor, was in Model T's first book. By T' s recolection,Wingfoot pulled out of a thru- hike becacuse he was asked by the Philosophy's editor, if he would consider taking over? I use his guide with all the books I read to help give a clearer picture of the trail for a future thru-hike and I agree with his politics on and off the trail. For the years I have logged on his site, he has showed he will defend the letter of the law the congress voted to create, and the integrity of the scenic trail,why does that seem to upset so many?

I wish there was more information and publicity about the "new" companion. IMO they are losing sales. Doesn't matter, Wf will do his book as long as there is a Wf ( I've got 2to1 odds on a 2cent bet) The ATC will outlast him. Nobody will suffer w/o his book, even though it is good. I'd like to see him back out on the trail, maybe get one of those circle deals going w/ Warren. Jack and Wolf could be in the circle too! We could do a DVD!!!

WF must have stock in the USPS...

Instead of using (free) PM supplies, one could buy #2 padded envelopes on Ebay, send 1st class and still end up saving the buyer $1.25 that goes directly to the PS for the privilege of PM.

I wish there was more information and publicity about the "new" companion.
    Won't be long now. Many changes in Erwin and to the town map. I hope they included them all, along with the mileage data.

Default check your local gearshop

I picked up the 2005 ed. of WF's book for $15 from my local outfitter yesterday. Only 1 year behind and I got it immedietly. For me it is worth not getting the most current 2006 ed. than having to deal with personal checks, mail, waiting, etc. Also if you bother to register for WF's site you can just look up the list of changes between the 05 and 06 editions (seems that there were only 2 updates total).

tommy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga
    The reason I understand Wingfoot was the editor, was in Model T's first book. By T' s recolection,Wingfoot pulled out of a thru- hike becacuse he was asked by the Philosophy's editor, if he would consider taking over? I use his guide with all the books I read to help give a clearer picture of the trail for a future thru-hike and I agree with his politics on and off the trail. For the years I have logged on his site, he has showed he will defend the letter of the law the congress voted to create, and the integrity of the scenic trail,why does that seem to upset so many?
    the belittlement of people that don't think as wingfoot does is discriminatory. that, and, through e-mail, he told me that all blueblazers are painty waists (exact words). well, i like blue blaze trails, and most blueblazers, and being called a painty waist kind of pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    I found several errors between Tray and Dicks Creek Gap this fall. Water and camp area errors/mileage errors. But I still use the book!
    No matter which book you use, take the time to note what the errors are and send the information along to the editors. Unless we, the users, let the editors know about the mistakes, the same incorrect information is going to get published again and again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default trail books...etc

i faithfully use the A.T.DATA book & town guides from the ALDHA "THRU-HIKERS' Handbook.

i found numerous updates were needed in WINGFOOTS book last year from my fellow hikers that i was with for 3 weeks.

good luck w/ yer hike!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark
    guess I'll wait and buy my copy from one of the outfitters along the trail this spring.
    Mountain Crossings at WalsiYi will have tons of 'em.
    Just hike.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++