WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

Default Wingfoot's Trail guide?

Does anyone know if Wingfoot is still making AT guides? And if so, when will this year's be ready and how to get one?
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Images

Go to his website, trailplace.com. As I understand it, the guides just arrived from the printer and are ready for shipping now. You order one by sending him your check (get the address and amount from the site).

Jane in CT

It should be out any day now, unless it's been delayed. According to his website it was supposed to have arrived from the printer today (11 January).

Arrow Go here...

I am sure he will be glad to sell you one.

http://trailplace.com/portal/index.php

or you go here and get IMHO a better handbook:

http://www.aldha.org/
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Even though I've been an ALDHA Companion field editor, I've always liked Wingfoot's book better. And then, once he used the databook mileages, it made it even better than before.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Companion is going to take a similar approach and this years guide should be the best ever.

When you buy the Companion, you not only help ALDHA, but the ATC and the trail. When you buy WF's, well....

The 2006 Companion should be ready by the end of this month, and perhaps sooner. The chief editor told me today she'd write me when it was available for ordering; as soon as I know more, I'll let you guys know. In the meantime, the 2005 Edition can be perused at www.aldha.org

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

Default Wow!

Thanks for the very quick responses! I will definitely check into the ALDHA Companion too before I buy. Seriously now, wasn't expecting such quick responses!
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

mattydt20

What does Wingfoot provide in his guide that aren't provided in the data book or companion?

A combo of both.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydt20
    What does Wingfoot provide in his guide that aren't provided in the data book or companion?
    Self authored self praise.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Self authored self praise.
    ... and a combo of both guides. Give credit where credit is due. Don't be a hater.

I used both guides. All things being equal I would rather see my $$$ go back into the trail then somebody's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    ... and a combo of both guides.
    Yes, yes, and a good deal of DataBook and Companion content too.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prozac
    I used both guides. All things being equal I would rather see my $$$ go back into the trail then somebody's pocket.
    Wingfoot lives in near poverty because of his dedication to the trail. He is not always the wisest advocate, but no one I know has devoted more of his life to the trail. And no one I know has done more good for the trail over the decades than Wingfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Yes, yes, and a good deal of DataBook and Companion content too.
    C'mon TJ...Did the The Thru Hikers Handbook copy the Companion or did the Companion copy the Handbook? I think you know the answer.

Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Folks - why the angst towards Wingfoot and his book? How old are you - not chronolologically, but mentally? Jesus.

Give it up -- such unattractive vindictiveness is amazing and totally unnecessary. If you don't like someone or what they do -- why do you think others give a rat's ass? Live your own life - buy your own book - hike your own hike. Quit with the negativity.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Jealousy or pettiness is so unattractive and an energy vampire. Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Images

i give wing foots book 2 thumbs up,i never hit the trail without it neo

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    C'mon TJ...Did the The Thru Hikers Handbook copy the Companion or did the Companion copy the Handbook? I think you know the answer.
    A long story, I think the short version goes like this,

WF took over the Philosophers Guide and published it through the ATC. Broke from them when he wasn't getting enough money or recognition. ATC wanted to publish their own guide, which makes perfect sense, and ALDHA took over. Since most guides are just facts, basically anyone can write one without compromising copyrights, but WF saw fit to sue the ATC. ATC settled. Sometime after suing the ATC, WF started incorporating the ATC's databook data.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    A long story, I think the short version goes like this,

WF took over the Philosophers Guide and published it through the ATC. Broke from them when he wasn't getting enough money or recognition. ATC wanted to publish their own guide, which makes perfect sense, and ALDHA took over. Since most guides are just facts, basically anyone can write one without compromising copyrights, but WF saw fit to sue the ATC. ATC settled. Sometime after suing the ATC, WF started incorporating the ATC's databook data.
    Wingfoot was upset that everyone was getting paid at Harpers Ferry, except him. Though he lives cheaply he needed some income. Anyway, that's the story he told me once.

I'm not sure there ever was a law suit. I simply don't know. Maybe someone else does. But I suspect there wasn't. Certainly there was a discussion of legal matters, out of which came permission for Wingfoot to use the data book information.

The recent copies of Wingfoot's guide that I've seen includes a sentence or two thanking ATC for granting him permission toi use ATC's trail data. Aside from Wingfoot's characteristic testiness, I don't detect any particular animosity on his website against ATC, though I don't visit as much as I used to.

Both books contain occasional errors. But I agree with Lone Wolf. Wingfoot's guide has more useful information than the Companion.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by drsukie
    Folks - why the angst towards Wingfoot and his book? How old are you - not chronolologically, but mentally? Jesus.

Give it up -- such unattractive vindictiveness is amazing and totally unnecessary. If you don't like someone or what they do -- why do you think others give a rat's ass? Live your own life - buy your own book - hike your own hike. Quit with the negativity.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Jealousy or pettiness is so unattractive and an energy vampire. Sue

As you are a relative newb, you'll find that many of the threads here on WB are ripe with negativity, insults, personal attack and a generally poor attitude towards other posters. Note that I said posters, not hikers. Participating here on WB makes you a poster (internegator??) not a hiker. When you meet the hikers, I think you'll find they are different from their poster personas.

Yes, yes, its all petty and vindictive and childish, and all in good fun (till someone gets their eye poked out).

If you really want to see what people here think about WF, do a search through the threads. I think you'll find that in the end, RE: WF's book, most people give him credit for a valuable hiking tool, regardless of his personal opinions and the way he runs his website.

As you said, HYOH.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++