WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Orange is best.
    It's the accepted color for hunters.
    The more the better.
    My suggestion is cover the highest points (head and top of pack).

Another thing to keep in mind is for all you folks who like to hike in spring.
    In many places (especially here in PA) it's one of the most dangerous hunting seasons.
    Spring Gobbler is full camo and no stalking.
    Pretty much it means that if something is moving, it's not a hunter because they can only hunt stationary.
    Now, in a perfect world, no one would ever pull a trigger with a 100% ID of what they are shooting and everything behind it.
    We know that doesn't always happen.
    There are the few who shoot first and ask questions later.
    These are by farthe exception, but they're out there.

So, make noise, wear orange, and be careful.
    Oh, and please be respectful.
    As a hunter I can tell you 99% of us are happy to share the woods and know not to hunt close to trails if we don't want to be disturbed.
    But there are always the "ones" who just don't get it.
    Best to walk away.

Whether you're hiking or hunting, BE SAFE.

See you the trail or in the woods.

Alex

Journal Entries

I wear orange cap, put orange bandana ($2 at hobby lobby) on rear of pack in big game seasons
    Inevitably, most hikers I see out are too stupid to do so, with the idea that its not their responibility.

Being in the right does u no good, if your dead.

You DO NOT want someone to point a scoped rifle at you to see what you are at 200 yds.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-28-2016 at 11:00.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Being in the right does u no good, if your dead.
    By the same token, it is wise to wear blaze orange at all times, not just during hunting season or big game season. A poacher that accidentally kills you will leave you just as dead as a hunter that follows the regulations.

You DO NOT want someone to point a scoped rifle at you to see what you are at 200 yds.
    That might be the best scenario---SEE ME FIRST. Sight, acquire (identify), fire. Proper training.

But you're probably right: Shoot anything that moves. Why not? A dead hiker will result in no fines and no jail time.

Images

While that is absolutely true, many accidents are from shotguns.
    They are "point and shoot", while a scope requires work to aim, plus gives you a magnified view.

Point is, hikers WEAR ORANGE AND BE CAREFUL; hunters ID YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT 100% BEFORE PULLING THAT TRIGGER.

Quote Originally Posted by pickNgrin View Post
    By the same token, it is wise to wear blaze orange at all times, not just during hunting season or big game season. A poacher that accidentally kills you will leave you just as dead as a hunter that follows the regulations.
    I've adopted this philosophy and always wear lots of orange clothing regardless of the time of year, carry an orange pack, and even have an orange UQ for my hammock so I don't get shot while sleeping. It's led to the trailname Hold Your Fire, but I haven't been shot.
    -tagg

I wouldn't go in the woods without my 2 bear bells....

A tip I picked up from Boy Scouts. Get some bkaze orange flagging tape at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware. Take several 2' strips and hang on back of pack, arms, sternum strap, etc. Large solid bkocks of orange are more visible if available, but flagging tape is good otherwise.

Journal Entries
    Images

S2S orange pack cover cabelas bragin cave 16 bucks. It is more then likely you are required by law to wear orange in certain areas and times this should be in data books I would think. But if your sharing space with hunters orange is a good way to go.

I read up on this subject and was of the understanding that hunters are not to be anywhere near the AT as a rule of law. Of course, that really doesn't make any difference if they are there anyway and have a gun pointed at you. Just saying...

Good God, not this topic again.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    And a month earlier than I expected it.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-30-2016 at 15:55.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I read up on this subject and was of the understanding that hunters are not to be anywhere near the AT as a rule of law. Of course, that really doesn't make any difference if they are there anyway and have a gun pointed at you. Just saying...
    Hunting is legal on approximately half the lands that the A.T. passes through, per the ATC website.

Keep in mind that in a number of places, hunting is the primary use of the land and hiking and other recreation is considered a secondary use.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-30-2016 at 15:54.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I come from Pennsylvania where there are more hunters than cars (I think)
    I only really worry about deer season, and then only rifle (they also have archery, muzzle-loader, and even crossbows now I believe).
    I won't go out on Saturdays during deer season as that's when the amateurs are out also.
    There is no hunting on Sundays (yet, they are trying to change that)

Most hunters sit.
    So, you will be walking towards them first (then away)
    So, to me, it's more important to wear your blaze orange or yellow, on your front, than on your back.
    Vests are good.
    Streamers tied to your shoulder straps are good.
    Orange hats are good.

Having a narrow pack, with an orange pack cover and wearing earth-tones or tans is not good.

Did a SOBO AT hike from Oct to Feb about 12 years ago.
    Saw deer rifle season in almost every state. (late November in PA and goes more south about the same speed we walked)
    (was in Maine in Oct)
    Most hunters are wise.
    Not all. (just like hikers)
    Careful out there.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    And a month earlier than I expected it.
    Yep, and like I said...non-issue. Just wear some orange.

Funny thing is that with all this concern posted here only about 10% of hikers down here in GA, where hunting is allowed right on the trail, will be wearing orange during the season. And only 1% of thru hikers will have a spec of orange on them. Yet somehow everyone manages to make it. Like I said...non-issue. Just wear some orange.

I stay out of the woods for the 10 days of firearms deer season...I've seen way too many drunk people roaming the woods with guns.

Hunters are outdoorsmen enjoying their outdoor sport. However, they can pose a serious danger if you are unlucky enough to come across someone who is reckless or unskilled. They are out there especially on the first day of the season. I had a rifle bullet wizz over my head on the AT in Pennsylvania when I was about 17. I was and out backpacking in the fall from Lehigh gap to Delaware water gap. I'm sure that it was unintentional. We never even saw the hunter. Bullets that miss their target can travel a long way. Anyhow for me the concern is real since that day.

I'll wear at a minimum a blaze orange cap. A backpack will obscure the view of a cap from the back. So, I have about a half yard piece of blaze orange ripstop that I can drape on my backpack. Sometimes I take that since its important that you can be seen from any direction. I also have a blaze orange tee shirt. Sometimes I take that since its usually warm in the south at least at the start of hunting season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++