WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear List

Default Gear List

Is anyone else finding that friends and family are tired of hearing about the gearing you have, are planning to buy or dream of owning?

I would like to take this opportunity to begin the conversation and compare strategies, etc.

Here is my main set up for a mid June SOBO. I don't have weights for everything. Please feel free to critique or give advice where you feel necessary:

ULA Ohm 32.5oz
    EE Revelation 30' 17.1oz
    Thermarest Xlite 12oz
    Lightheart Gear Solo 30oz
    Big 4 total= ~5lbs 10oz

Beer can stove/windscreen 2oz
    Snow Peak Trek 700 4.8oz
    Alpha Light Long Spoon. .4oz
    Sawyer Squeeze 3.5oz
    BD Spot Headlamp 3.25
    Melanzana Micro Grid(warm season) 11oz
    Patagonia Nano Puff(cold season) 13oz
    Rab Flashpoint 7oz
    Patagonia Cap 1 or random synth shirt ~3oz
    Patagonia Cap 2 Bottoms 5.5oz
    Patagonia Baggies 7.5oz
    Melanzana Beanie no idea
    Swiftwick/Darn Tough Hiking socks not sure
    Thick wool socks Doesn't matter

My total weight from what I've calculated/estimated is about 16lbs before food and water. I'd like to cut another pound or two somehow

I haven't weighed electronics(phone charger/external battery), first aid kit and whatnot.
    I am curious what everyone else is doing for a first aid kit... I'm interested in a DIY ultralight kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Head net & bug juice.
    There's a sobo forum you msy want to check out, and here's my annual tip sheet for sobos starting at Baxter:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ers?highlight=
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

First aid kits are a bit of a conundrum. Typically, our packs tend to get heavy because of "what-if" items, and that defines a first aid kit. But, it's the one what-if item that might save your bacon if you end up in a tight spot. As a former career paramedic, I used to carry a ridiculous 2+ pound first aid kit on family trips. Over the years I looked critically at what we used and didn't use, paring away items which fell into the latter category. Below is a list of the minimal items I carry now for 2 people on long trips on the AT. If we were going to be on a more remote trail, such as the CDT, I would probably add a few items.

Zip-lock to hold items
    Rx meds
    12 Benadryl
    12 Imodium (dysentery sucks...)
    30-40 Ibuprophen
    Neosporin (small tube)
    1" tape (1/2 roll)
    3-4 4x4s (sterile)
    4-6 bandaids (various sizes)

Note: Most items I carry serve more than one purpose. We don't carry moleskin because I have duct tape wrapped around my hiking pole and it does a better job with blisters anyway. I don't carry an ACE wrap because I can cut my buff and do the same thing if I need to. I carry a small sewing/repair kit and the needle in that can be sterilized for blister duty if needed. Etc...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I have 2 Melanzana micro grid skirts - I love them!

The 700 SP stove is not a great choice for an alcohol stove since it has a very narrow base. Have you tried it out? My 900SP Trek is barely suitable and I still have flames coming up the side. Maybe a beer-can stove is different from a FF stove regarding flames, and if so ignore this thought, but that was the first thing that stuck out to me. I'd like a wider and shorter pot than I already have, but I don't want to make yet another koozy.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The 700 SP stove is not a great choice for an alcohol stove since it has a very narrow base. Have you tried it out? My 900SP Trek is barely suitable and I still have flames coming up the side. Maybe a beer-can stove is different from a FF stove regarding flames, and if so ignore this thought, but that was the first thing that stuck out to me. I'd like a wider and shorter pot than I already have, but I don't want to make yet another koozy.
    I have tried it out. That's something I am looking at changing because flames are all up the sides of that pot. I'm in the same boat as you though...my 700 already has its pot kozy and I don't want to make another. I am just shopping around for other pots right now. The Toaks pots seem like a good deal but ever new seems to be the hot item?

Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

I already made three. I've got enough reflectix to make another one, but they are time consuming and a pain. Maybe next year!

Images

If interested I have an extensive gear list u/l to 3-season 13 -16 lbs. Total. Send pm with email and I will forward,

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    The Toaks pots seem like a good deal but ever new seems to be the hot item?
    The Toaks 900ml wide bottom (130mm) is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The Toaks 900ml wide bottom (130mm) is a good choice.
    And here I was thinking I was done buying camping gear....bwah ha ha haaaaa! Yeah, right!

Ever since the demise of the Open Country 3-cup hard-anodized aluminum pot, this is one of the very few (perhaps only) options left in that niche.

I use the OC 3-cup pot with a Fancee Feest and this combo, along with a decent windscreen, yields a boil of 3 cups of cold water with 30ml denatured alcohol (I use Klean-Strip).

If you switched to a Zpacks pack (Arc) and shelter (Plex), you have just saved your "pound or two"....
    Just sayin'
    the microgrid and nanopuff are relatively heavy, consider Montbell down instead, very reasonably priced and lighter...Superior down jacket is 7.3 oz and is only 149.00 retail
    small knife?
    lighter?
    compass/whistle?
    Trowel?
    foodbag/hanging kit?
    z-seat or similar?, you'll want that for sure!

I've looked into the ZPacks stuff... I'm waiting for the budget to allow those upgrades. I may see if I can find a used one somewhere. I always hear good things from Montbell... Did not realize they had a few things in that price range. Will look into that as well.

As for the other stuff, I have all of that... Those were the random bits of miscellany that I have factored into an excel sheet that I've created that calculates weight but did not feel the need to add on here. I forego a trowel...sturdy sticks work fine. I have Zpacks bear bag kit and dry bags and I'm in between using my Neoair Xlite or my Zlite... haven't officially decided yet.

Deuce of spades trowel is well worth the 0.6 oz.... YMMV
    The z seat is for rest stops and such, certainly if you take the z-lite you could carry it on the outside of the pack for sitting at rest stops.

Have you tried using Lighter Pack? I've found that to be a great tool for planning.

https://lighterpack.com/r/g9bf23

Journal Entries
    Images

Zpacks gear is awesome. I use it plus I'm 37 miles from their shop so I just go there and talk with Matt or Red Beard.

I have all of their dry bags and wish I had the funds to do all of their stuff because I like it a lot and my carried weight falls well within what they can carry. I am trying to keep an eye on their bargain bin.

Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

As mentioned in your WTB post, they often wait for a pile up of returns on backpacks and tents and stuff and then list them all at once and announce it on their FB page. I love my Arc Haul...I think it's the slightly better option for only 2oz more, but that's only because I was willing to add the 2oz for double the durability. Super comfortable pack though...but I did have to add some extra padding to the belt, the added lumbar pad just wasn't quite enough for a skinny gal like me.

+1 on the Arc Haul in Dyneema...My single favorite piece of gear.

The Ohm is an awesome pack why change a good thing? Though at a glance I didn't see that your gear was 16lb. With your big 4 at 5 lbs I see no reason that you wouldn't be closer to a 10lb base with clothing for 3 season use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++