WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water from Deep Gap, NC nobo to NOC

We have a trip planned for next week to hike the 50 miles from Deep Gap to NOC. (My best day with a full pack on the trail so far was 9 miles, so this will take us at least 5 - 6 days) I am getting pretty nervous about water availability. Seriously nervous. Really, really don't want to but can postpone if we need to. Thanks for any input re reliable sources along this section.

I'm planning this same section in a few weeks, over a 4 day span. I don't know the current water situation, but am quite curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundracamper,

I will let you know how it goes. We can carry enough to get us to Standing Indian Campground from Rock Gap, if every thing is completely dry. After that there are fairly easy egresses, so we can come off for good if things don't improve.

Quote Originally Posted by awrence View Post
    Tundracamper,

I will let you know how it goes. We can carry enough to get us to Standing Indian Campground from Rock Gap, if every thing is completely dry. After that there are fairly easy egresses, so we can come off for good if things don't improve.
    Will be hiking Dicks Creek to NOC 9/30-10/4. Concerned about water too. Guthooks app has a lot of recent comments on the water supply. Here's a list of the mile markers where there is known water. The ones with ???? means there were no comments so it's unknown. All others are good. The only section I'm worried about for water is the last 10-12 miles. We plan on filling up pretty good at cold spring shelter. Thankfully the last 6 miles into the NOC is downhill. Hope this helps. See you on the trail.

Mile 91.5 water
    97.7???
    110 stream
    124????
    125.6 shelter
    131 right before shelter........very low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be north bound from Long Branch Shelter starting 09/27 and have similar concerns. Thanks for the info. I will pass along what I find when cell service is present along my way.

Doing dicks creek gap to the NOC starting Oct. 8th. I've heard water is a little better on that section. Hoping to get confirmation as the date gets closer.

++ New Posts ++