WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

I'll kick in $10 for a go-pro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Markus 4345 View Post
    Her post on facebook:

Kaiha Bertollini I am seriously thinking about reaching out and seeing if someone will give me a go pro, shoes, and spot tracker and re doing it. Its all I can think of at this point. I am tired but my body is used to it and I think it might hold up.1 · 30 mins
    Yeah right, she would get a real taste of night hiking starting this late. If she were to do this then there would quickly be an injury to bail her out.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markus 4345 View Post
    Her post on facebook:

Kaiha Bertollini I am seriously thinking about reaching out and seeing if someone will give me a go pro, shoes, and spot tracker and re doing it. Its all I can think of at this point. I am tired but my body is used to it and I think it might hold up.1 · 30 mins
    While she may not have claimed to do anything charitable with money given, and would might be able to sidestep wirefraud, IRS would consider the money given to her to be taxable. She ain't no 501c3. And it's not personal gifts, obviously.

She should cut her losses and run before she receives real life-changing negative publicity.

��
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-22-2016 at 00:43.

Ounces are the little-death

Something i just realized is that her pace for the last few dayswould have her in the top 10 all time finishers at Vol State 500 or the Tahoe 200. And that's without adjusting for the easier terrains.
    Joe Fejes better watch his back!

A GoPro is not needed. A Spot or Delorme, yes. There's no need to take pictures if you are speed hiking.

Gary (RoamingGnome.net)

Journal Entries
    Images
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'll kick in $10 for a go-pro.
    Yeah, let's give her more money for a $400 device -- what could go wrong?

Here's what I assume will happen: Someone will sponsor her, give her a SPOT, GoPro, shoes, etc. She'll start her hike. Get 2-3 nights in (most likely not on record pace, claiming she'll speed up later on), and get "injured" and have to call it early -- taking $1,000+ in sponsored gear with her.

Images

So is she for real or Rosie Ruiz?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

There has been an article on my Facebook feed about Americans losing the ability to engage in logical thought. The idea that she could break the record is just silly and plays into that notion. Can we regain some common sense?There's no way she broke the record in the first place and there's no way she could do it now.

From the picture of her at Springer, it looks like she has new shoes on there. I read on another site that Karl wore out 18 pairs of shoes on his run. That means he was averaging about 125 miles per shoes. When did she have the time to get new shoes?

Can we please close this and move on? It's been thoroughly discounted. Time to discuss pack weight, stove choice, etc. again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    There has been an article on my Facebook feed about Americans losing the ability to engage in logical thought.
    did the article site this website as evidence?

Not just new shoes. She's standing by a mud puddle, and a muddy trail is to the right. Mud everywhere. She has mud "splashed" on the back of her legs, yet there's no way she could have walked 20 ft in those BRAND NEW shoes and could keep the bright colored tread that clean! It looks like she took them out of the box just out of the view of the camera and then snapped the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Can we please close this and move on? It's been thoroughly discounted. Time to discuss pack weight, stove choice, etc. again.
    You do realize that you can go discuss all of those things in the thousands of other threads, right, while this one remains open to those who still want to ponder this issue?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
    Not just new shoes. She's standing by a mud puddle, and a muddy trail is to the right. Mud everywhere. She has mud "splashed" on the back of her legs, yet there's no way she could have walked 20 ft in those BRAND NEW shoes and could keep the bright colored tread that clean! It looks like she took them out of the box just out of the view of the camera and then snapped the pic.
    I trail run a lot....mud not being on your shoes tread means nothing depending on how much precipitation there is. Most of my trail shoes look destroyed if it's dry since they get covered it dirt/dust. If it's raining/wet then they all look fairly new though.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    You do realize that you can go discuss all of those things in the thousands of other threads, right, while this one remains open to those who still want to ponder this issue?
    +1 and amen.

People will stop talking about it when they become bored s#!tless with it. Nobody forcing anybody to check in, lol.

Link doesn't work. Can you copy/paste for we non-FB luddites?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Link doesn't work. Can you copy/paste for we non-FB luddites?
    Ok, here it is;

You want to know how I did it? I got uncomfortable, real uncomfortable. Let me explain the details of my Sobo hike. Earlier this year I left everything and randomly without research found myself walking the AT. I weighed 153 lbs. and I am only 5’3. The biggest I’ve ever been. My first day on the trail I walked 10 miles up Angles Rest just outside Pearisburg, VA going south with basically a stranger in barrowed summer gear. I had no idea what I was doing but I needed to do this and that was all I knew at the time. I was only supposed to walk 630 miles’ home. As we continued to walk I wanted to finish. I had some detours along the way. My step dad had a stroke and I had to take four weeks off to help out my mom. I started back in Harpers Ferry, WV on May 2, 2016. I met my second trail family and I was hiking 24-26 miles in about a 7-9 hour window depending on the terrain. This was still with a heavy pack. At the time I was joking with my friends and kept saying, “Maybe I’ll just yo-yo”. We would laugh, but I started to mean what I was saying. People kept talking about Anish and her story fascinated me. It kept pulling at me. I looked up everything I could. Finally, I got to the Doyle Hotel where they have her name on this board and I kept staring at it. I leaned over to my friend Extra Credit and said, “I think I can do that” and he smiled and said, “I think you could too”. I continued to enjoy my walk to Maine. Laying out with my friends, stopping in every town and enjoying every aspect about the trail, but I also started to obsess about what it would take to do a solo hike in record time. I got rid of everything. My sleeping bag turned into an emergency blanket and the fleece liner Baltimore Jack gave me before he passed. I carried a hammock through Maine and then gave it to a Sobo I met with a leaking tent in Andover, ME. Nothing warm to wear, just the clothes on my back. A water filter. A knife. Food bag with only a day’s worth of food. A protein shake bottle, and smart water bottle. Half of a thermarest sleeping pad. Toothbrush, toilet paper, sanitizer. The end. I was not quiet about what I was doing. I told everyone and got hikers feedback on what they thought I could go without. There were some on my Nobo who would hear of my intentions and stop talking to me. There were others who were excited and energized me. For the first time in my life people weren’t telling me I couldn’t do it, they were telling me they believed I could. And I believed I could too. Shortly after that I went to a festival in Vernon, NJ. I met people who lived on a farm and they invited us to stay for a few days once we got to New York. I had been walking on an injured foot, and against the good advice of my friends continued to do so, did I mention I am stubborn? So, I ended up with a mid-foot sprain and torn ligaments from over use. The farm housed me for almost five weeks until I could walk again. This farm had helped me so much, so had the trail, and I wanted to give back to it in a big way. So I created hike for our lives to try and raise money for it and for Freedom 2 Fit. I wanted my website to be a place where other victims of trauma could not only share their stories and be heard but as be a bridge that connected them positive ways to heal from their PTSD. We never did raise that much money and mostly my friends would donate $10-$20 so I could eat. Late July I had finally made it to Andover, Maine and I was hiking big miles, and taking a rest day and repeat to try and get used to what that would look like. When I got to Pine Ellis and turned my phone off air plane mode. I learned my friend back home wasn’t doing so well in hospice. I had a choice, go home and try to make it or start my sobo self-supported hike and try to make it. After speaking with our mutual friend, I skipped the last 240 miles of my Nobo hike and on Aug 3rd arrived in Millinocket, ME. I remember laying on the floor of the lodge and counting my bruises, wondering if I would become emaciated like Anish, I had only lost 10 lbs. this entire time. I thought of Derrick dying alone of throat cancer. My dog that I missed and the stress my mother was under due to its presence in her home. I thought about all the women and men who have ever said no and were not heard. I thought about my own story and how for once in my life I was going to finish one thing that I started for myself. No matter what, I knew I could walk the trail in under 90 days. I walked/ran for 15-20 hours a day. I was hitting town so fast I stopped carrying more food than I needed to. I ate real food in town or would smash pizza at the hostels I passed, charge my phone and keep going. The problem with this is my stomach started shrinking. I couldn’t eat plates of food like I could before and I couldn’t carry the weight and my miles a day were dropping. I was starting to hit walls at 46 miles a day. In the SNP I missed judge my food and I ran out. I had walked for 28 hours straight and was starting to nod off as I walked. Something I haven’t experienced since Basic Training. I needed to eat and I had no food. There was nowhere to go but Waynesboro, VA which is 6 miles off trail and you have to get there by highway. I had to hitch, I had no other option. A man and his very cute son picked me up and took me to the hostel. I even let his son take a picture of me. I did not hide this from anyone. I ate, I slept and was dropped back at Rock Fish gap where I was picked up. I do not know why this man is saying he gave me a ride 50 plus miles ahead and I can’t prove that he is lying. Seems some have made up their minds to believe him and that is okay. I didn’t just put myself through the most intense emotional pain for those people. I did it to show the world you can do anything, if you want to, but you have to want to. I didn’t carry tampons and free bled the one time I had a period looking like a lunatic for nothing. The chaff this caused was almost unbearable, I kept walking through it. My friend died and so did my baby cousin who I will never get to meet. With a heavy heart I walked into Andover, ME again and took a zero. It was a rainy day. I met a group of nobos and sobos and gave away more of my gear and food and got more feedback of we we all thought was possible. I did not get to say goodbye to them for nothing. My mail drops my friend sent me contained chia seeds, protein powder, jerky, candy, trail mix, and $40-$60 bucks in every box. Waiting on the boxes cut into my time, so I eventually told him to stop sending them. My last mail drop box would be at Mnt. Harbor B&B right before Roan Mnt. It was too much weight and I just ended up giving the food away anyways. It was a dry season. But my miles were so big that I never went without water or the food I needed for the most part. I knew where to go and where not to go because I had just spent almost six months walking the trail with a few places missed here and there on what I like to call my broken flip-flop (Nobo hike). My body no longer hurt the way it used to. Hoka donated the 4 pairs of shoes I needed to complete my hike. Zpacks sent a 6oz bivy to keep the bugs away at night. I only had to walk through rain three times and then my very last day from Blood Mnt shelter to Springer in GA I got hammered with rain. Soaked and the only thing I could do to keep from going hypothermic was keep moving. Everything in my pack was wet. Luckily, I had nothing of value in my pack, except my phone and notes from friends of encouragement that I read every morning or when I started to feel sorry for myself. Anyone who knows me, knows I’ve never cared too much about the details. I am an initiator and let others fill in the gaps for me. People squabble, and I take action and do. I am going to die one day and I don’t care for anyone’s gossip or petty games. Some think this makes me rude, luckily I don’t care what others think. For 45 days I have walked day and night. I have barely slept. I have gone without any form of comfort except from the few times I got to speak with other small groups of sobos who fed me their energy so I could keep going. Physically I am tired but I still feel strong. I lost a total of 20 lbs. from Jan to Sep and for those of you who do not think I am skinny enough, you have a warped perception of what an Athlete should look like. You can’t body shame me or make me take back my claim. I walked every step of that trail and if you want to argue that my one hitch into town somehow makes my hike supported, it doesn’t matter because last I checked, I beat that time too. I did not just go through all that for nothing and I will not retract my claim. I am a person, who has lived her life the best she could. I am an open book which often leaves me open for attacks on my character, that’s fine. I will not stop having integrity because you guys don’t like my answers or my truth, it doesn’t make it any less true and I will continue to live and love well doing my part to be a positive impact in this world instead of a miserable one. So for anyone out there who has never gone on a long distant hike please continue to cast about your make believe and nonsense of what it takes. I’ll out hike you any day. Some think I hike fast, I consider myself average with a walking pace of 3-3.5 miles an hour depending on the terrain. Somedays I was faster, somedays I was slower, but I didn’t stop and when I did it gave me the reprieve I needed to keep going. What Karl did was amazing. I wish I could run like that and do those miles in less time. I would have been able to sleep more. I have no doubt in my mind someone could run that trail in 40 days if they were willing to get real uncomfortable and maybe Karl could have if he cut into the hours he slept. I am not trying to be disrespectful of anyone. I also will not retract my claim. I put my heart and soul if they exist into this project and everyone is just going to have to deal with the fact that a woman, with only military training, a past of trauma that has made me hard as nails, and a big ass heart walked the Appalachian Trail in record time with only herself, and trail magic along the way. And if you want more proof than the people who’ve seen and met me, and the dozens of pictures, and the few video’s I was able to make, put a camera, spot device, and new pair of shoes in my hand and I’ll show the world how you walk all day and night.

For the record, no paragraph breaks were lost in iowajoe's copy and paste. It truly is a wall of text in the original post.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++