WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Seems to me that the person trying for any FKT has the obligation and responsibility to provide the proof needed if they want credit for it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedCow View Post
    She's now taken her instagram, twitter, etc links off her website. Just facebook is left, and she's made almost everything friends only after having a lot of public posts last night.
    Not the actions of someone who has an honest claim...

Come on people, this thing stinks so bad I don't see how anyone could possibly buy what she's selling. She is claiming to have bested not only the self-supported FKT, but the supported time as well. All of this supposedly while having to handle her own logistics and carrying multiple days worth of food, sleeping bag, etcetera. Add to this the fact she doesn't appear at all lean after a NOBO/SOBO repeat with the final 45 days at a pace bordering on superhuman. A pace which would have put her well ahead of Meltzer, Jurek, and JPD, all of whom are gifted endurance athletes who practically killed themselves to achieve while supported.

If she was indeed the victim of SA, I am genuinely sorry for her. But this fabrication has done nothing to raise awareness for that cause.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    If she was indeed the victim of SA, I am genuinely sorry for her. But this fabrication has done nothing to raise awareness for that cause.

Many times when people do something to draw attention to a cause......it's also an attempt to draw attention....to themselves. Some even use money raised for themselves.

There isn't anything noteworthy about walking the AT, if someone is able-bodied. Nothing at all. Which is why, by and large, no one cares
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-20-2016 at 13:59.

Not the actions of someone who has an honest claim...

Come on people, this thing stinks so bad I don't see how anyone could possibly buy what she's selling. She is claiming to have bested not only the self-supported FKT, but the supported time as well. All of this supposedly while having to handle her own logistics and carrying multiple days worth of food, sleeping bag, etcetera. Add to this the fact she doesn't appear at all lean after a NOBO/SOBO repeat with the final 45 days at a pace bordering on superhuman. A pace which would have put her well ahead of Meltzer, Jurek, and JPD, all of whom are gifted endurance athletes who practically killed themselves to achieve while supported.

Please separate the questionable person from the cause, they are two different issues. One is worthy of attention, the other is (probably) not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Many times when people do something to draw attention to a cause......it's also an attempt to draw attention....to themselves. Some even use money raised for themselves.

There isn't anything noteworthy about walking the AT, if someone is able-bodied. Nothing at all.

in my experience, people who are victims of something generally dont go around openly telling the whole world what exactly they were a victim of.

but, once it becomes obvious to everyone around them that something is wrong, well, they come up with a story. i have been close to one such person and discussed this... phenomena? with others. they do it. the whole world can see (or they think they can see) that something is wrong, but of course, as is natural, they dont want to say what it is, so they make up a story. probably even one thats not too terribly different from the truth. in time, its possible they even come to believe it. then once a grip on reality has been lost, the sky is the limit. to me, someone in this state, i wouldnt believe much of anything they say, even perfectly believable, mundane things. this isnt a knock on them. they have actually suffered and are suffering, they arent trying to hurt anyone.

i sense thats what we have here. clearly i dont know her, but im going to guess theres at least a 50/50 chance she went into the military already haunted by whatever demons she has. probably it was en effort to run away from them. when asked about them she probably made up false ones as stand ins for the true ones, in the process of so doing lost her grip on reality. she probably really believes she set the record. wouldnt surprise me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Please separate the questionable person from the cause, they are two different issues. One is worthy of attention, the other is (probably) not.
    I never linked them.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Somewhere I thought I read where she made clear that the donations page was to directly fund the trek, and wasn't going to a charity. I can't recall where I saw it. Seems like she had a personal FB page and at least 2 FB pages for her trek, and at times posts, comments, and even one of the pages (MyBrokenFlipFlop) have disappeared, so I'm not going to go back and look for it.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    in my experience, people who are victims of something generally dont go around openly telling the whole world what exactly they were a victim of.

but, once it becomes obvious to everyone around them that something is wrong, well, they come up with a story. i have been close to one such person and discussed this... phenomena? with others. they do it. the whole world can see (or they think they can see) that something is wrong, but of course, as is natural, they dont want to say what it is, so they make up a story. probably even one thats not too terribly different from the truth. in time, its possible they even come to believe it. then once a grip on reality has been lost, the sky is the limit. to me, someone in this state, i wouldnt believe much of anything they say, even perfectly believable, mundane things. this isnt a knock on them. they have actually suffered and are suffering, they arent trying to hurt anyone.

i sense thats what we have here. clearly i dont know her, but im going to guess theres at least a 50/50 chance she went into the military already haunted by whatever demons she has. probably it was en effort to run away from them. when asked about them she probably made up false ones as stand ins for the true ones, in the process of so doing lost her grip on reality. she probably really believes she set the record. wouldnt surprise me.
    This is very astute, and I've also witnessed the behavior over and over. In particular, I think you really nailed it with the point I put in bold font. We have to remember not to be too mean! But it's so hard for me to do so, when what she claims tends to undermine all that Anish and Meltzer and Jurek and Pharr-Davis put in and, indeed accomplished.

It'd be interesting to know who her driver was... can't pull off something like this without help.

A lot of darker implications under that scenario, and more focus on the $$$ aspect (as MW alluded to above).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I'd say quit giving this whole lie publicity. Let's just quit talking about this disgrace and quit posting to this thread. It will die soon enough.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I never linked them.

Not directed at you but a general statement based on, "But this fabrication has done nothing to raise awareness for that cause". I hope people don't judge a worthy cause by the person representing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

Yep. I've known someone like this as well. All her lies caught up to her in college culminating with her dropping out, but it all emanated from a very real event which occurred when she was 11. Very sad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I'd say quit giving this whole lie publicity. Let's just quit talking about this disgrace and quit posting to this thread. It will die soon enough.
    I hate that the focus is on her instead of Meltzer - who irrefutably earned the spotlight. But I think it's good to gather and analyze the data before it's all hidden. The burden of proof is on her, but if the hiking community finds clear evidence that she fabricated her claim, we can keep her story from casting a shadow on Meltzer's accomplishments.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    So she got from Niday Shelter (1504) on Sept. 8th to Damascus (1719) in two days?
    And on September 10th alone she went roughly 100 miles?
    Sure she did. It's a short drive down I81

"Narcissistic Personality Disorder"
    Let's not do this, OK?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    From her Instagram account:

Sept 6 - McAfee Knob
    Sept 7 - Dragon's Tooth
    Sept 8 - Niday Shelter (mile 1504), Audie Murphy Monument, Keffer Oak, looks like she stopped at Captain's Place
    Sept 10 - Chestnut Knob (mile 1621), Woodchuck Hostel, Damascus
    Sept 11 - TN/VA State Line, Double Springs Shelter
    Sept 12 - Mountain Harbour B&B
    So let's see McAfee to Dragon's Tooth took her a day, that's only like 13 or 14 miles.
    Dragon's Tooth to Nidday took her a day, that's 14 miles. Yeah, that's a real record setting pace. NOT. Wow. I think she hikes a little signs a register or two and then her friend Jenny that she mentions she is doing the trail with (I think I saw this on her trail journal) comes and blue blazes down the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    How exactly did she do 543 miles in under 10 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ooh ooh, I know this one...54.3 mpd
    By far... best post I've seen in some time Mr. Frijoles.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Let's not do this, OK?
    I find myself in complete agreement with you.

As a lurker through all of this, here's my prediction as to how all of this will play out, FWIW:
    After a week or two of all of this drama, Ninja will say that life is too short to be taken down by all of the negativity. That she knows in her heart what she has done and that either you believe or you don't but that the problem is with you. And that she is going to get on with her life and leave all of this behind.

We'll see.

Not chiming in one way or the other- more a clarification/agreement of another statement as well as looking for clarity from those here who know better....

Facey or other sources will ping CELLULAR data points and guess. So as pointed out a picture/post/etc. made from the smokies is likely to show up as Gaitlinburg as that is probably where the cell tower's address/location/etc is assumed.

Suppose same deal for any post.

In addition... let's say you have your phone on airplane mode or are out of cell service. You can post away to your hearts content to your facebook, write e-mails, etc. When you catch a signal or turn on your phone I don't believe the post will "backdate" so to speak, but will record the post as being made when you log on again or have service.

To the best of my knowledge- you have to actively share your GPS data, not CELLULAR data. I also believe what you would want if you were Kaiha (or sleuthing) is the metadata (the data recorded by your phone and imbedded into the photo's file).

Again- not a defense of her or a rebuttle of anyone's efforts here. Just sharing as well as posting so that if I am wrong I can learn more too.

I am not in contact with either Jenny or Kaiha at this point. I had previously told them if they were indeed serious, they should get off the mountain, sleep, sit down, and collect their claim and present it in one shot.

If I were them - I would have recommended they sit down and do what is being done here... fill out the splits sheet with date, times, miles. From there I would then try to add photos, log encounters with other hikers, as well as track down other credible witnesses.
    Pull the metadata from the phone (don't know a thing about it other than the concept) and track down folks for good measure.

About the only other insight I have to share- I did hear from Jenny a few days ago that Kaiha had a zero and two Nero's... if that helps with anyone's timeline.

The only other thing I would say....
    There are a few folks (like top of Georgia Hostel) who simply said they saw her. I would not ascribe any judgement one way or another to someone simply for saying she stopped by or didn't. If this is going south as it likely will- I'd hate to see someone's business or name get dragged into it simply for saying she stopped by or posting about their cause.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++