WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT 2017 prep/trail training/learning

Hello Everybody! I thought I'd share my experience on a short 5 day trip hiking 70 miles on the AT with the goal to, basically, test all my hiking equipment in preparation for a thru-hike next year with my wife.
    The Good:
    -very fun, met a few people. The trail was not crowded during the hike. I started Monday, May 20th and ended Friday, June 3rd.
    -learned A LOT. Realized I made many mistakes that made the hike way harder than it should have been.
    -Mistakes- not taking care of feet, going too far, too fast, chafing and blister could have been avoided if I had been more thorough in preparation and prevention while out on the trail.
    -equipment worked, but no rain so tent performance and use not completely tested (lightheart duo).
    -dog did very good (he's not going on thru-hike). Kept him on leash while walking and off-leash while camping with everyone's permission. Dog stayed in tent on an old Army woobie.
    The Bad:
    -My lack of preparation for taking care of body. Old running shoes gave me blisters, didn't buy bodyglide before trip and got chafed. Liner of shorts rubbed heck out of my crotch area.
    -I was in relatively good shape, but never did get my mountain legs in that short period of hiking. I hear it takes 200 to 300 mile to get your trail legs.
    -carried too much food and dog food. The food back weighed 10 lbs. and the dog food weighed 5 lbs.; so, pack was 35 lbs. starting out which was too heavy. I nervous packed too much food and too many clothes that I never used.
    -Duh! I forgot to bring bug spray. I looked like I'd gotten peppered with a shotgun by the end of the trip with bites I'd never seen before. Either spider or chigger bites. I just got chewed up.

Again, I learned a lot. Keeping everything organized in my pack and in camp helped me start earlier in the morning for cooler hiking. Water filter worked great (sawyer squeeze). And, if I would have kept my socks clean and feet clean and prepped I would have saved the feet from looking like hamburger at the end in Erwin, TN. Miles hiked per day were 11, 15, 15, 10, and 18; the last day being downhill most of the way.
    Thank You for the site; I have leaned a lot by reading your site.
    Chris

The last two weekends my wife and I (w/ the dog) have hiked in Shenandoah National Forest getting some more miles under our feet. We stayed at loft mountain campground going back and forth on the AT. 20 miles last weekend and 18 this weekend. This weekend was a side trail on Sunday that went down a spur then back up to Skyline. Where oh where are my trail legs?

The good- this is the first time in a 22 year marriage that my wife and I share the enjoyment of the same hobby. I think she's holding back because I'm so slow going down hill (foot won't pronate due to permanent injury). I am glad she's patient.

-Gear selection seems to be going good due to using this site and trailspace and various lists for research.

- the dog continues to kick butt. It's a shame he can't go on the trail with us because he really seems to enjoy hiking. We believe the accumulated wear and tear might shorten his life although he's in his prime right now at 3+ years old.

The bad-
    -No trail legs yet, but continue to practice and workout to stay in shape to lose weight.

-chiggers in spite of 100% deet being used.

-no rain to test our equipment. I know that's a blessing to many, but we need some rain to make sure our gear holds up.

Will continue to update as time goes by.
    Chris

http://www.chiggerblock.com/ingredients/

I've experienced excellent results repelling chiggers in chigger infested areas with Chig R Blok or making my own from some of the same essential oils in a base of almond oil which I carry in a $1 plastic spritzer bottle bought from Walmart. Twice while hiking in a group of three or five, all of us wearing shorts, I was the only one who had applied either of these approaches not to have one chigger bite while everyone else including those who had applied DEET to their legs had moderate to severe rashes from chiggers.

Dogwood thank you, will order and try.

By doing as you are, evaluating post hike your approaches, techniques, gear, gear usage, food, fitness, etc it helps dialing in and recognizing your evolution as a backpacker. More folks should take note. It never stops either. We all need to know learning never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    http://www.chiggerblock.com/ingredients/

I've experienced excellent results repelling chiggers in chigger infested areas with Chig R Blok or making my own from some of the same essential oils in a base of almond oil which I carry in a $1 plastic spritzer bottle bought from Walmart. Twice while hiking in a group of three or five, all of us wearing shorts, I was the only one who had applied either of these approaches not to have one chigger bite while everyone else including those who had applied DEET to their legs had moderate to severe rashes from chiggers.
    Ok when would I expect to start encountering chiggers? Does treating your clothes with pyrethrum help? Supposedly we have them in Australia but can't say I've ever been bothered by them.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bob7 View Post
    Liner of shorts rubbed heck out of my crotch area.
    I always have that problem and either buy shorts without the liner or cut them out. I always find commando is the go for guys, lets air circulate and doesn't trap sweat, dirt etc in a moist warm bacteria generating area.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Ok when would I expect to start encountering chiggers? Does treating your clothes with pyrethrum help? Supposedly we have them in Australia but can't say I've ever been bothered by them.
    I dunno what works to prevent them, other than long pants or high gaiters. I suspect I got 'em from walking in grassy sections of the trail, in central Virginia, south of Waynesboro.

Ok update: Hike from springer to unicoi gap in GA

Went hiking with two friends that my wife and I will be starting the trail with next year. We stayed at the Hiker Hostel in dahlonega ga the first night, and they shuttled us up to the parking lot at springer. We started off slow and easy, and did about 10-12 miles a day. Water shortage was an issue, but with fatman's help here keeping us updated and with ron brown's shuttle facebook page- we had really good intel on where the water was at along the trail. The weather was incredible, but still no rain to test tent.

The good- neels gap mountain crossings did a shakedown for us. They said we were pretty good to go, but to ditch several comfort items like plastic coffee cup, silnylon sink for washing...anyway... pack weight at 16 lbs now base weight.

-cowboy camped first two nights and used tent after that because of windy nights

-incredible views

No bad- best backpacking trip because we're finally getting gear dialed in and getting in much better shape. Cannot wait for the spring.

I'll be putting the tent up in the backyard this weekend and try to stay in it with the hurricane rains coming through Virginia.

Dogwood, I bought and used the chigger block oil you suggested. It kept the bugs off, but there weren't really that many bugs out down in GA this time of year.

And, got to go with a merino wool tshirts as the synthetic ones I'm using get way too smelly way too fast.

Journal Entries

I went on a test hike myself on the 17th and 18th. I have been on small sections of the AT 25 years ago but didn't know what it was at the time. I drove to Big Stamp Gap and went from there to Hawk Mt Shelter, 7 miles I think. I wanted to go further but I was having an issue with my calves and I didn't want to get into a situation. It was amazing. I hope to do a section hike this spring but I'm going to adjust my training for those calves and still working on getting lighter. I probably carried 30 pounds, I've whittled it down to 26 pounds now but hoping to get it to 25 by time I go back.

++ New Posts ++