WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Decided I want to hang!

I have been toyiing with the idea for a few weeks and reading and shopping. I decided to go with the Hennessey explorer ul 7ft version. And the camo tarp. Also went with the EE revolt 40 long. I am gaining a biit of weight in the switch but I'll know for sure 5-7 weeks from now. At least I'll learn the pitch before my UQ arrives. I'm pretty excited about this change.

Journal Entries
    Images

Awesome glad to hear... Try a few You Tubes on Woopies and knots.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

After this weekend, and sleeping terribly on the ground even with an air pad, as I often do, I am also going to trying hanging. I have a Dutchware netless on the way, which you can't beat for weight and cost. I'm going to try it out at home (have a wooden cross log/beam in my house to hang from) to try it first before splurging for the Revolt, just to make sure I like it. I can't sleep any worse in it than I do on the ground. The tarp will have to wait until next spring since I really want a HG Winter Palace in CF. Switching will actually save me some weight compared to my tent set-up by a couple of ozs.

Journal Entries
    Images

It can be pretty overwhelming. Still have to figure out my preference in hanging and learn all the terminology. I have been using my neo air for a couple months and fighting back pains in the night. Plus I have always loved my old eno. I will rig this up in my basement as soon as I get it.

There is a bit of a learning curve with a hammock but once you start hanging you will never want to sleep on the ground again.

My Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is actually more comfortable than my bed at home.

I hung last weekend on the edge of a cliff overlooking a 250 foot waterfall. I slept like a baby and didn't wake up until 8:30 am.

Falls.JPG

Try that with a tent.

Carl

Make sure to check out

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

A great site for hammock camping.

Carl

HF is great...love how welcoming they are, and how much they really want to get new people involved...it's almost like a super-friendly cult!!!

I have never slept deeper than in a hammock. Also napping, the sleep is so intense that when I wake up I have this drowsy, sweet sensation ... it is an amazing feeling.
    Let me go

Journal Entries
    Images

I had a single nest for awhile. Slept in it for a year in Iraq, but I plan on some backpacking trips and needed everything but the hammock! That is why I went with the HH I got a complete kit for 200 on sale currently. I'm not sure if I will want a bigger tarp at some point. I did order some rings and caribiners as that looks like a great way to hang the HH. I do like the snake skin looks very user friendly.

I also have a Hennessey U L Explorer like you ordered and use the rings and carabiner system. You are going to really enjoy the extra size and comfort of a larger hammock. It's a great setup. I checked out the camo tarp on line. I haven't seen that before. It looks pretty cool.

Please post some pics when you get it setup.

Carl

The thread title brought to mind this little ditty by Dorothy Parker...

“Résumé

Razors pain you,
    Rivers are damp,
    Acids stain you,
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful,
    Nooses give,
    Gas smells awful.
    You might as well live.”

Journal Entries
    Images

O really lol! Hanging the tarp separate allows for a more hunkered down pitch?

Journal Entries
    Images

I think you'll love hanging. When you get to your site and set up, if it's raining, you just get your tarp up, and take it from there. You can instantly get dry clothes on, hang the hammock, cook and eat to warm up some more, then pull into your toasty nest and read or sleep. The asymmetric hammocks have you laying almost flat. The biggest surprise factor for me was just how much heat you lose without padding. It isn't a "down side" of hanging, it's just a reality. Your second purchase of significance will be an underquilt. But once that is on, the nest doesn't need much more. If it is in the 60's, you'll chill. There are some low cost newbie hacks for seasonal hanging, like using a military poncho liner and zip ties to rig up a cheap underquilt...you'll learn fast. Welcome to your place in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    It can be pretty overwhelming. Still have to figure out my preference in hanging and learn all the terminology. I have been using my neo air for a couple months and fighting back pains in the night. Plus I have always loved my old eno. I will rig this up in my basement as soon as I get it.

I'm the opposite just giving up hanging as I can't get comfortable as a side sleeper. If you're after a CF tarp I just listed a 12' Hammock Gear one, with doors, tie backs, CF sleeve and Dutch Ware continuous ridge line, on the FS page. Used 9 times as new.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I'm the opposite just giving up hanging as I can't get comfortable as a side sleeper. If you're after a CF tarp I just listed a 12' Hammock Gear one, with doors, tie backs, CF sleeve and Dutch Ware continuous ridge line, on the FS page. Used 9 times as new.
    Never thought of that. I'm also looking into becoming a hanger but I'm a side sleeper. Has anybody been able to make it work?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

You can absolutely sleep on your side in a hammock. I do it on every trip. You just need a long hammock in order to get a diagonal lay and then you can sleep on your side. I usually fall asleep on my side and then wake up on my back but I dont seem to notice because I wake up fully rested.
    If you dont know where you're going, any trail will take you there...

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have always slept on my side in my hammock. About 10 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Just A Bridge- 36.JPGTowns-end Micro bridge.jpg

Try a bridge... Don't think I'm going to declare myself full time in either camp- but I find myself in the air more often than not since getting into bridge hammocks.
    I generally disliked gathered ends... but the recent XL fabrics help with that. I have a working parallelogram hammock and a 60* that are helpful too. I can do an XL gathered end for a long weekend- but after that I miss a bridge.

While I am getting closer... haven't quite matched the weight of a ground setup but I am coming closer to a usable 2lb complete shelter (hammock, insulation, bugs, tarp, straps, etc)
    The weight penalty was an initial turnoff- plus the all the new terminology and choices.

The bigger bridge shown- you can belly sleep in- so side sleeping is no issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're in an asymmetric hammock, there shouldn't be any problems being a side-sleeper. If you are a stomach sleeper, I could understand, but with the hammock properly hung, side sleeping is a piece of cake. Something I've noticed, though, is that even though I'm a "flopper" going from position to position when in a bed, I'm different in a hammock. I'm so comfortable in the default (back) position, I don't flop much. There is very little stress on the body when you're in a properly hung asym hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_in_MD View Post
    Never thought of that. I'm also looking into becoming a hanger but I'm a side sleeper. Has anybody been able to make it work?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

O I'm a flopper too! I can't wait till it gets here!!! Got my basement rigged up this morning so I will be able to hang my HH as soon as it gets here should get it this week!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++