WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: IT band

Default IT band

I have some IT band issues. Went through some PT and stretching to help/eliminate the pain. On my last section hike I some folks wearing IT band straps. Anyone here use them and feel that it offered any relief?

I suffered from IT band issues a few years ago and it took getting fitted for the proper shoes with the right arch support to finally fix it, along with stretching and strengthening exercises. I talked with my PT and was basically told that with the brace, all you are doing is masking the problem and if used long term, your body will adjust to the presence of the brace, making it the new norm. If you then stopped using the brace, the problem would be back, but worse.

Journal Entries

It darn near crippled me once while hiking. But stretching and a little time off got me thru it. Never has returned.

I think Ive read theres no scientific proof stretching or anything else actually helps it, but I can at least say it doenst hurt it.

Dealt with this for and clients many times. IT band issues are usually related to your adductors (muscles that bring your legs together - think thigh master) being stronger than your abductors (muscles allowing you to separate your legs and lift them out to the side). The most success I ever had was when I had clients stretch those adductors. Google adductor stretches. They are pretty self explanatory with just the pictures. Do not "roll" your IT band or have it massaged. That will just hurt it more and when you stop it will "feel good by comparison." If you ignore this you can also end up with knee issues as the tight adductors will actually cause your knee to not track correctly.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

You might try a six inch foam roller. They come in different softness. Typically the MTs have a soft one, but you can get a stiffer one. Some people get create and try to make there own. I tried a pvc pipe, but I found that too painful.

Basically you lie on your side on the roller and roll from your hip to your kneed and back slowly. do 10x a couple times a day. at first it is pretty painful if you have tight it bands. But as they loosen up it becomes less painful. Then you can switch to a harder one. Here is where I bought mine http://www.optp.com/Foam-Roller-Therapy#.V9YfNBtTE5s

Some gyms might have them.

I use Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps every time I carry a full pack. That, along with lighter shoes (trail runners instead of boots) has taken care of the IT Band knee pain I had on my first long backpacking trip a decade ago.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Dealt with this for and clients many times. IT band issues are usually related to your adductors (muscles that bring your legs together - think thigh master) being stronger than your abductors (muscles allowing you to separate your legs and lift them out to the side). The most success I ever had was when I had clients stretch those adductors. Google adductor stretches. They are pretty self explanatory with just the pictures. Do not "roll" your IT band or have it massaged. That will just hurt it more and when you stop it will "feel good by comparison." If you ignore this you can also end up with knee issues as the tight adductors will actually cause your knee to not track correctly.
    I wonder if treatment has changed 10 years ago, MT had me rolling my IT Bands. It does pay to get your own treatment from someone knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I wonder if treatment has changed 10 years ago, MT had me rolling my IT Bands. It does pay to get your own treatment from someone knowledgeable.
    Speaking of which, this fellow makes part of his living being knowledgeable about it.

https://www.painscience.com/tutorial...d-syndrome.php

I ponied up for the full tutorial - I felt I got my money's worth. He updates it regularly, and I should go back and see what is the latest info. Ingraham is part of the team at sciencebasedmedicine,org, a site in which I have a lot of trust.

In the end, for me, I added hiking poles and they helped get me back on the trail. Poles were no cure though, they just made enough of a difference. I have the Cho-Pat brace and a Mueller strap, neither one seems to make much of a difference for me and are uncomfortable.

The braces will work to relieve pain, but they won't cure the underlying issue. Much like duct tape will fix that broken hole in your tent... but you probably want a more permanent fix long-term.
    Twitter: @mkehiker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I have some IT band issues. Went through some PT and stretching to help/eliminate the pain. On my last section hike I some folks wearing IT band straps. Anyone here use them and feel that it offered any relief?

used one. worked like a charm. eventually it stopped hurting and i dont use it any more except once in awhile when needed.

you dont really even need an actual IT band, anything you can tighten around your leg in the correct spot works. there were a few hikes i was on that i wish i had known or thought to do that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I suffered from IT band issues a few years ago and it took getting fitted for the proper shoes with the right arch support to finally fix it, along with stretching and strengthening exercises. I talked with my PT and was basically told that with the brace, all you are doing is masking the problem and if used long term, your body will adjust to the presence of the brace, making it the new norm. If you then stopped using the brace, the problem would be back, but worse.
    used my brace for about a week. stopped hurting. stopped using the brace. has never reoccurred to anywhere near the severity it was.

Images

I had a bad IT band issue flare up on a 55 mile Labor Day 2015 hike. It was a struggle. I was upset that I had worked out hard for the hike. I did not know what the issue was until a visit to an orthopedic doctor afterwards where it was diagnosed as an IT band issue. He suggested adding stretching and a roller to my exercise regimen. I did exactly that and returned this year for a 78 mile hike over Labor Day and did not experience any issues. Searching the interwebs there is so much information about how to treat the IT band in regards to stretches, roll/not roll, etc. so it can be confusing. I don't know what will work for others, but I sought the advice of a professional, followed it, and I have had positive results.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Was just rereading this and realized I may have dismissed the arch support too quickly or seemed to. When your arch "falls" your knee follows changing the alignment of your femur (thigh bone). Your hip, knee and ankle should all be in a straight line, stacked on top of each other for correct stability AND mobility. So temporarily using an arch support combined with proper stretching of the muscles along the "interior" of your leg (and strengthening of the opposing muscles) and working on rehabbing the muscles of your feet/arch is a comprehensive approach to actually correcting the problem instead of putting a bandaid on the problem (or in this case, shimming it up with an arch support).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++