Default cell phone service

Reading journals of others PCT trip, it sounds like cell phone coverage in many parts of the PCT is improving. That being said, I'm hoping to find out which provider seems to have the widest coverage. I've heard good words about Verizon and AT&T so would be very interested in others with experience weighing in on it.
    I am going to have to find a new provider as my current one has nothing or close to nothing in this part of the US.
    Thanks for the ideas and help!

Quote Originally Posted by iio View Post
    Reading journals of others PCT trip, it sounds like cell phone coverage in many parts of the PCT is improving. That being said, I'm hoping to find out which provider seems to have the widest coverage. I've heard good words about Verizon and AT&T so would be very interested in others with experience weighing in on it.
    I am going to have to find a new provider as my current one has nothing or close to nothing in this part of the US.
    Thanks for the ideas and help!
    Or you can get a Delorme InReach which gives you text message capability anywhere in the world, as well as Search and Rescue at the push of a button. Not the same as a cell phone, but if it keeps you from stressing for a signal 24/7, I feel it's worth it.

Thanks for the reply scrabbler! While the InReach has some advantages, I would go with a cell phone for the ability of making calls, running apps such as Guthook and Halfmile's maps. Very much worth having in my opinion!

In the middle-Oregon sections Verizon has the best coverage by far, based on my Verizon/Galaxy S6 vs. my brother's ATT/iPhone6. The phones themselves may play into that some, but my friends report the same. I regularly send image texts of great views to my friends who declined to come with, just to give them a hard time. All you need is a western view to get bars. But no matter what service or phone, there are areas where you will get no signal for miles, as any real civ can be a looong way off in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th View Post
    In the middle-Oregon sections Verizon has the best coverage by far, based on my Verizon/Galaxy S6 vs. my brother's ATT/iPhone6. The phones themselves may play into that some, but my friends report the same. I regularly send image texts of great views to my friends who declined to come with, just to give them a hard time. All you need is a western view to get bars. But no matter what service or phone, there are areas where you will get no signal for miles, as any real civ can be a looong way off in some areas.
    I'm wondering about Oregon. When you say miles do you mean 5 miles or 50 miles? I have an ATT phone, but am wondering if switching to Verizon is worthwhile. Thanks!

I asked this same question at Crater Lake NP in OR in mid/late Aug 2016 to about 25 total PCT NOBOers and SOBOers. All of them were getting along fine with their various phones and various carriers.

++ New Posts ++