WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    The comments are entertaining, so don't miss them when you read the article. I predict that some of the outraged commenters will tear themselves away from their keyboards and form a militia to defend the honor of Bissell and BSP from the great unwashed (e.g., non-locals). They'll have to set up their HQ in the KWWNM rather than BSP to avoid the whole unauthorized camping thing, of course.
    Besides, militia camps on Federal land are a time-honoured tradition. What could possibly go wrong?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

While I share many of the concerns detailed in that letter, some of the commentary reinforces my belief that BSP may be more concerned about preserving wildness for the benefit of its visitors, than for its inherent value and the benefit of the ecosystem

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I am guessing that the moose and critters are much, much, much more impacted by snow machines on the tote road, than any beast or bird is impacted by the sight of a distant man made structure from within the park.

Not suggesting that protecting the viewshed and such isn't important -- just that doing so is for visitor benefit. That's great, but not sure preserving the human experience was Governor Baxter's prime concern. Just don't know.

They sure didn't want to allow public snow machines on the tote road, that was a legal battle they lost after fighting it as far as they could go. He did specify that the rangers could use snowmobiles so they have been used in the park by rangers since they have existed. The moose analogy with snow mobiles is not that good as moose actively use snow machine trails to get around in the winter.

There is definitely a conflict in Baxter's wishes, he specified wilderness first but then specified that he wanted guests to be able to visit as long as it didnt impact the primary goal. Unlike a federal government property whose rules can be changed by a whim of congress, BSP is managed to a set of a dead mans wishes that cannot be changed although on rare occasions can be interpreted. I expect the viewshed concerns are more interpretation of his wishes rather then spelled out on the Deeds of trust.

Back from Baxter, a visit with Tim at the NM office in Millinocket, and a drive on the KW&WNM loop road.
    I can understand Director Bissell's concerns. I hope Tim does.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Back from Baxter, a visit with Tim at the NM office in Millinocket, and a drive on the KW&WNM loop road.
    I can understand Director Bissell's concerns. I hope Tim does.
    Mr. Hudson has an impossible job. Mrs. Quimby saw to that.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I take it you guys in Maine are still pissed she did in less time on her own dime..What took you guys half a life time...Haha
    Homeslice needs to actually stop being a horses ass...LoL
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

very helpful, articulate and thought provoking post....thanks
    "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." - Casey Kasem

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
    very helpful, articulate and thought provoking post....thanks
    Made me want to check out the Katahdin Wilderness Camps.

Looks "AMC Expensive" if you go with the full meal package, but rather special for a family non-backpacking experience.

Has anyone been?

I definitely get why the camp's owner and its guests wouldn't want day hikers to come in via a shortcut from the National Monument. The fix would simple, though-- just brush in the trail on th BSP side of the property line, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++