WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

My plans have changed somewhat. Since I'm starting a new job that affords me 39 days off per year (excluding weekends), I'll be section hiking the AT in pretty big chunks over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    For me...

2016 - Superior Hiking Trail (done)
    2017 - Colorado Trail
    2018 - CDT (what I have left of Montana/Wyoming)
    2019 - CDT (New Mexico)
    2020 - Open (probably a big AT section since it's local)
    2021 - PCT again for 60th birthday.

I am jealous 10-K of your resume. My goal was to hike every long distance trail that starts or ends in Georgia. I've hiked the Bartram Trail. I've hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail. I've hiked the Foothills Trail (although not technically in GA).

I will be finishing the Pinhoti Trail in 2-3 more sections.

After that, my goal is to get to "my" northern terminus of the AT. Damascus VA. (For my own mental sanity, I have decided the AT ends at Damascus, VA). The last section on the AT I did left me at Spivey Gap just south of the Erwin TN.

I've done all of this as a weekend warrior. Not a bad resume considering, but I am little sad. I am quickly running out of local long distance trails near me.

I suppose I will be rehiking these trails again very shortly.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    All kidding aside Malto, that sounds like a great walk, I love that country......but you should squeeze a fly rod into your bookbag!
    Absolutely no room. I have to cram 8 day food plus microspikes and other cold weather gear in that little Burn. Besides, we will be spending too much time in Brain eating amoeba invested hot springs. MLK5 is on my list.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I just don't see the point in arranging a grand logistical Event with plane flights and motel overnights and baggage claims and shipping gear all just to live like a Neanderthal for a month.

Seriously, you want to die without having been to places such as:

?

I love the southern appalachians. Its my default for getting out as well because its close and logistically simple. I can take off for a week with little prep or notice, especially on AT. Repeating sections of trail in different seasons makes for different experiences.

But theres a big ol world out there besides the appalachians. Ill never get to see but a fraction, but Ill see what I can. Even if means saving years for certain trips.

Theres hiking long distsnce for hikings sake
    Theres hiking to camp and spend time outdoors
    Then theres also hiking to see certain stuff.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-12-2016 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

?

I love the southern appalachians. Its my default for getting out as well because its close and logistically simple. I can take off for a week with little prep or notice, especially on AT. Repeating sections of trail in different seasons makes for different experiences.

But theres a big ol world out there besides the appalachians. Ill never get to see but a fraction, but Ill see what I can. Even if means saving years for certain trips.

Theres hiking long distsnce for hikings sake
    Theres hiking to camp and spend time outdoors
    Then theres also hiking to see certain stuff.
    +1...where's that pic from? Damn list just got longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

?
    We here in the Southeast mountains have our special places, too. To me it's a mental thing, to appreciate nature's beauty wherever you can find it, unqualified. When I was a kid I used to backpack behind our house in some trees in a town in Oklahoma. It had a creek and some pollywogs and to me it was Yellowstone NP.

Miss Nature is Miss Nature wherever you go---a simple toad in the backyard is exactly the same as Wrangell-St Elias---it just requires a shift of attitude. I spent many years stealth camping around Boone NC back in 1980 etc and found wonderful delight hidden under a pine tree in a town cemetery or in the woods behind a grocery store. And we have our moments here in the mountains too---

For the near future I intend to do more local hikes starting right out of the front door.
    The bigger goal is to finally do what I call the "Backbone Austria", all the length over the Alps.
    In late autumn hopefully I will be in the Middle East desert, attempting the Seven Summits of Sinai.

399332_5d18166980fb497182f58f9017fd61fc~mv2.jpg
    Heading over to the Balkans to hike that Via Dinarica trail next summer.
    Haven't done a thru since 2004, so, already started training for it and switched from my morning jog to my morning walk (up and down hills here in Phuket)
    Picture above is from the Albania portion.

Here's one from the Montenegro part: 399332_451053bb85a5446da86f8f663454e934~mv2.jpg
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    +1...where's that pic from? Damn list just got longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Torres del paine national park
    Patagonia, chile

2013-12-08-ElChaltenSherryOtt1.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-13-2016 at 02:44.

Now that I cut my CT hike short (I'll explain in another thread) I'd like to sample the PCT (Washington) and the Winds sound nice. But long term I guess I'll stay close to home as traveling is both expensive and a pain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I am jealous 10-K of your resume. My goal was to hike every long distance trail that starts or ends in Georgia. I've hiked the Bartram Trail. I've hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail. I've hiked the Foothills Trail (although not technically in GA).

I will be finishing the Pinhoti Trail in 2-3 more sections.

After that, my goal is to get to "my" northern terminus of the AT. Damascus VA. (For my own mental sanity, I have decided the AT ends at Damascus, VA). The last section on the AT I did left me at Spivey Gap just south of the Erwin TN.

I've done all of this as a weekend warrior. Not a bad resume considering, but I am little sad. I am quickly running out of local long distance trails near me.

I suppose I will be rehiking these trails again very shortly.
    Consider adding the Sheltowee Trace Trail to your list. It's in Kentucky and ends in Big South Fork Recreation Area in middle Tennessee. It's an interesting 320ish mile trail - quite unlike any other I've hiked. It's sorta-kinda-a little like the Georgia Pinhoti.

For me...

2018 - CDT (what I have left of Montana/Wyoming)
    When/where will you hike CDT in 2018? I will be doing the Centennial Range along Montana/Idaho in early August, 2018. Probably several days to a week there.

Locally, I'm hoping to squeeze in the 170-mile High Country Loop sometime this fall.

There's always the Damascus Shuffle if I need to get out for a few days.

My wife and I have talked about starting to knock out sections of the AT when she isn't working (she's a teacher) in the summers.

I want to hike the Mountains to Sea Trail again to see how much it has changed since I first did it in 2005. Would also like another go at the CT. I'm always up for another trip to the Sierras. And, I wouldn't mind picking up where I ended my PCT section in 2011 at Tuolumne Meadows at some point.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

For sure, Bob Stratton "liked his neighbors distant and his weather brisk."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    When/where will you hike CDT in 2018? I will be doing the Centennial Range along Montana/Idaho in early August, 2018. Probably several days to a week there.
    Rawlins to Darby is the plan. Probably start in Rawlins and hike north as soon as the snow is clear. I'll make my way to Butte when I get to Darby and fly home from there.

Journal Entries

Consider adding the Sheltowee Trace Trail to your list. It's in Kentucky and ends in Big South Fork Recreation Area in middle Tennessee. It's an interesting 320ish mile trail - quite unlike any other I've hiked. It's sorta-kinda-a little like the Georgia Pinhoti.
    And while you're there, be sure to do the 5.5 mile Honey Creek Loop (not sure if it's entirely coincident with the Sheltowee Trace) - or at least the western half of it. Well worth it.

Journal Entries

2016 - did the Whites in July; did Katahdin and the 70-mile-wilderness a couple weeks ago (yeah, we got out at Katahdin Ironworks Road); doing a quick little weekend section on the Old Settlers Trail in the Smokies mid-October. Should be lots of stuff to see there.
    2017 - AT: mid-May, Great Barrington Mass thru Connecticut to Pawling New York; Sept, another week in Maine, between Caratunk and KI Road.
    2018 - AT: Port Clinton to DWG; Wallingford Rd VT to Hanover NH.
    2019 - AT: Franconia Notch to Hanover; clean up miscellaneous pieces NH/ME except Mahoosucs.
    2020 - AT: New York from Bellvale to Pawling; Mahoosucs - finishing the AT at Grafton Notch.
    after that? I don't know, the PCT is calling, but we won't do all of it. Too many other places to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    For sure, Bob Stratton "liked his neighbors distant and his weather brisk."
    Good eye and for sure as you've spent probably as much time atop the Bob as me.

Images

Good eye and for sure as you've spent probably as much time atop the Bob as me.

No, I don't think so. But,....I have a plan. I'm looking to relocate to somewhere between Tellico Plains and Chattanooga in the near future. I'm going to get serious about catching up.

Images

Going to do a night hike mid october in pennsylvania with a full moon
    2017 to 202? finish the AT in sections....400 miles of AT done so far
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++