WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dog boarding in Millinocket

As you all know, dogs aren't allowed in Baxter state park. I just wanted to pass along my excellent experience with Connie McManus in Millinocket. She will meet you at Abol Bridge and pick up your dog and keep them for you. In my case, she kept my mutt in her house with her other 5 dogs and grandchildren so my dog had a great time and felt right at home. She also gave her a bath and everything was very reasonably priced.

Two thumbs up!

Also, if you're stopping at Monson, Shaw's allows dogs, Phil Pepin does not. (He first said mine would be ok, but after our two dogs played for over an hour mine got a little rambunctious and Phil got very upset and threw us out. Note that my dog had no problems with Ringo at Shaws or any of the 5 dogs at Connie's, so...)

Az

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post

Also, if you're stopping at Monson, Shaw's allows dogs, Phil Pepin does not. (He first said mine would be ok, but after our two dogs played for over an hour mine got a little rambunctious and Phil got very upset and threw us out. Note that my dog had no problems with Ringo at Shaws or any of the 5 dogs at Connie's, so...)

Az

Just by reading your post, I would like a clarification, you say that Phil does not allow dogs but then it appears from yoru further statement that in general Phil does allow dogs, though did not allow your dog because of your dog's observed behavior with another dog (sounds like Phil's own dog). So if this is the case, which it appears to be, I feel you should not say he does not allow dogs it is unfair to say that considering he was more than willing to give your dog a try, and that is what a dog owner should appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Just by reading your post, I would like a clarification, you say that Phil does not allow dogs but then it appears from yoru further statement that in general Phil does allow dogs, though did not allow your dog because of your dog's observed behavior with another dog (sounds like Phil's own dog). So if this is the case, which it appears to be, I feel you should not say he does not allow dogs it is unfair to say that considering he was more than willing to give your dog a try, and that is what a dog owner should appreciate.
    He officially does not allow dogs because he claims his dog was attacked in the past. He originally told me this, and then allowed my dog. My dog and his played for over an hour off leash, but when my dog started playing a little rough, he threw us out. The dogs were not fighting, he is clearly sensitive on the issue. If you have a dog in Monson, I suggest you avoid Phil's place and go to Shaws, which allows dogs.

I did not ask Phil to overlook his policy and allow my dog, he offered. It was his idea. He could have told us to keep going down the road to Shaw's.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post
    I just wanted to pass along my excellent experience with Connie McManus in Millinocket.
    Always hear nice things about her, thanks for sharing!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AZB - have pm'd you.

Did Connie meet you at the other side as well?

Images

Connie is flexible and does pickup/drop off in Millinocket, at Abol Bridge (before you go into Baxter), and at other campgrounds in the area. I bet she would meet you at the gate to Baxter (after you climb Katahdin and exit the park), but it would make more sense to just meet her in Millinocket at that point. If you want further information, her number is (207) 723-6795 or (207) 731-3111.

I apologize, I'm looking for help in the smokies (hence me asking about meeting at the other end) and totally skimmed over "Baxter" in your post.

++ New Posts ++