WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: My End-to-End

Default My End-to-End

What's up guys, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here who has posted any info on the trail-it really helped me get an idea for what to expect when I went up to Vermont.

I started my hike on August 4th, after driving up from northern Virginia, aiming for a 14 day end-to-end. I was on track to break that until the day after Killington, where I ended up slowing way down to stay at shelters with a group of guys I ran into and jived well with who were all from New Hampshire and Vermont. Definitely the best 2.5 weeks of my life so far. On this trip I also got my first true trail magic experience. A couple who had hiked the trail earlier in the summer picked me and another thru hiker up in the Mad Taco and took us back to their Air BnB they were staying in for the weekend, and we relaxed, drank beer, and ate hot dogs all day.

If you wanna read more about my trip and see some photos, here's the link to my blog post on it: https://hikingtheappalachians.wordpr...he-long-trail/ I'm making a slideshow to put on youtube right now, so I'll post that when it's finished if anyone is interested.

Happy trails!

Trail name is Stump, by the way, if I ran into any of you. I was wearing a black shirt with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (USMC) on it and some gray running shorts every day

Quote Originally Posted by showtime_ View Post
    What's up guys, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here who has posted any info on the trail-it really helped me get an idea for what to expect when I went up to Vermont.

I started my hike on August 4th, after driving up from northern Virginia, aiming for a 14 day end-to-end. I was on track to break that until the day after Killington, where I ended up slowing way down to stay at shelters with a group of guys I ran into and jived well with who were all from New Hampshire and Vermont. Definitely the best 2.5 weeks of my life so far. On this trip I also got my first true trail magic experience. A couple who had hiked the trail earlier in the summer picked me and another thru hiker up in the Mad Taco and took us back to their Air BnB they were staying in for the weekend, and we relaxed, drank beer, and ate hot dogs all day.

If you wanna read more about my trip and see some photos, here's the link to my blog post on it: https://hikingtheappalachians.wordpr...he-long-trail/ I'm making a slideshow to put on youtube right now, so I'll post that when it's finished if anyone is interested.

Happy trails!
    Very nice report on the LT! I also E-2-E'd in 2013.

Great read. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice article. I finished my E-2-E just over a week ago and had a very similar experience to yours. The 45 minutes up Jay is impressive.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Good old Jay Peak. I walked up the ski slope instead of taking the trail. When I got to the top and got back on the trail I hiked right back down to the bottom of Jay Peak right where I started from. Went the wrong way.

Great post

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Good old Jay Peak. I walked up the ski slope instead of taking the trail. When I got to the top and got back on the trail I hiked right back down to the bottom of Jay Peak right where I started from. Went the wrong way.
    Hah!!!! I almost did the same thing. Going SOBO, entering the Jay Peak ski area, I suppose I (and you) missed a white blaze that would have taken us into the woods west of the slopes. So, up the slope I went, on a fairly beaten track in the ski-slope grass. Got to a fork in the ski runs and went right and continued up. got to a snow fence near the top and saw a white blaze (on the fence) and a white arrow pointing to behind the fence where there was a trail, and headed down, thinking this was the continuation of the LT south. Saw an old sign saying "LT North" with an arrow pointing in a weird direction, so I figured I was still heading "south" even though the trail was due west and starting to veer north... went a little further, maybe a 1/4 mile total and the trail was definitely going north, so I turned around and headed back up and through the fence and scratched my head, and continued up another slope, finally finding the next actual white blaze on the southbound trail.

So, basically, I guess you actually hiked the entire LT, whereas I suppose I skipped most of the section from the north end of Jay to that fence. Oh well! I'm OK with that.

I found very spotty white blaze markings, in general, in the ski areas.

I, and probably many others probably, have have missed the woods turnoff when going SOBO. Oh well.

Wow, I just got back from a 170 mile section of the LT, completing my end-to-end, and I too missed the turn off at Jay Peak going sobo. Sounds like they could use additional signage there, huh?

Lots of thru hikers and section hikers out there this october... it sure was beautiful!
    Junco

AT 2014 / NET 2016 / PCT 2016 / and more at: http://gcappalachia.blogspot.com/

++ New Posts ++