WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Pump at Round Top Shelter

Any one with recent info on whether or not the pump is flowing now? I've read that it has a habit of drying up at times.
    Thanks!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm sorry I can't provide real-time info, but it has been very dry in VT this year. I would count on no water, and be pleasantly surprised if there is any. That pump is unreliable in the best of times. I was on the LT last week, and the usually dry springs were bone dry.

how about the pump at Shooting Star shelter.... any info on that one?

Shooting star and Round Top both had water last week. During my recent thruhike, only Greenwall shelter was dry and there was a sign saying as much at the spur. There's a water source 0.8 north of Greenwall shelter but it's downhill the whole time

Quote Originally Posted by NHWhites View Post
    Shooting star and Round Top both had water last week. During my recent thruhike, only Greenwall shelter was dry and there was a sign saying as much at the spur. There's a water source 0.8 north of Greenwall shelter but it's downhill the whole time
    oh yeah, I was in that Greenwall section a couple weeks ago, saw that sign. The water flow at the 'Cascades' downhill from Greenwall seemed lower than normal too. looks like a very hot, dry summer in VT

Quote Originally Posted by NHWhites View Post
    There you go, pleasantly surprised!

We completed our hike on Sunday (Rte 15 to Rte 118...) I can happily report that water at the Roundtop pump was flowing strongly! Great tasting stuff.

Roundtop leanto, Corliss and Spruce Ledge camps are all very nice as well (although the water source at Spruce Ledge was a bit low.) Great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by dsquid View Post
    Roundtop leanto, Corliss and Spruce Ledge camps are all very nice as well (although the water source at Spruce Ledge was a bit low.) Great trip!
    Back in the late 60's when I hiked the LT with my dad, none of those shelters existed! Instead of Roundtop, there was Barrows Camp, north of Plot Road, Parker Camp near where Corliss is now, and Ritterbush Camp near Ritterbush Pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Back in the late 60's when I hiked the LT with my dad, none of those shelters existed! Instead of Roundtop, there was Barrows Camp, north of Plot Road, Parker Camp near where Corliss is now, and Ritterbush Camp near Ritterbush Pond.
    Yeah it's the same for me... I did this section of the trail with my dad in the 70's, and while the shelters are mostly in the same place, most of them have been updated/replaced.

++ New Posts ++