WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tarps, Storms, Bliss, Dirt-bagging

Last night I pitched my $10 poly tarp in my backyard using about $3 worth of paracord, a few rubber bands and $5 worth of aluminum gutter spikes along with my trekking poles. I slept on a ground sheet that was $6 worth of window shrink-and-seal plastic sheet. I was covered by a 100% polyester, $20, Ikea twin comforter. I slept like a baby enjoying the blustery winds and driving rain brought on by hurricane Hermine.

Being north of Cape Cod, we didn’t experience true hurricane winds and rain. We were on the edge of the storm and my back yard is sheltered by trees, so I probably didn’t experience winds stronger than 20-30 mph last night.

backyard tarping.jpg

I did this for a number of reasons:

1. I love sleeping under a tarp watching and feeling a good storm blow through. To me, it is a wonderful and surprisingly soothing drama.
    2. I hate hearing people suggest that they can’t go backpacking or camping and/or can’t go lightweight backpacking because gear is too expensive.

Things I discovered:

1. The Ikea comforter was surprisingly warm and comfortable, to warm for last night. It also has face fabric that is much more comfortable against my skin than my other sleeping bags or quilts that use nylon.

Things I verified that I already thought I knew:

1. Gutter spikes make great stakes that go into the ground much more easily than most other stakes and hold better than either aluminum or titanium shepherd's hook type stakes.
    2. Even cheap poly tarps, with a good pitch with shock absorbers (rubber bands in this case), can manage high winds and heavy rain with ease and grace. No duh, I’ve used this system for years, even on extended backpacking trips, in all kinds of weather in all seasons.
    3. For about $20 you can have a spacious, durable, safe, comfortable, sub two-pound, backpacking and/or camping shelter.
    4. For less than $50 you can have a great, sub three pound, 3-season shelter and sleep system without even walking into an outdoor store.

Notes: I didn’t include the cost of my trekking poles or sleeping pad in this discussion. For my pad, I used my Therm-a-rest NeoAir X-lite pad worth more than twice the cost of everything else I slept with last night. Good $15 foam camping pads are available, but sadly are not soft enough for me to get a good night’s sleep as a side sleeper.

I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I like your config and pitch. Looks like a nice nest you had. Did your storm include wind driven rain?

I agree with your title Tarps, Bliss and Dirt-Bagging but can't agree with your setup providing protection from Storms in its pictured configuration. I had a buddy once who set up in a similar fashion---see below fotog---

It only works in ideal conditions. In fact, cowboy camping w/o a tarp would also work. In a real storm with horizontal rain your setup would fail miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    In a real storm with horizontal rain your setup would fail miserably.
    I disagree to a point. If you turn that diamond pitch into the wind and use natural cover on the open side its a very weather worthy pitch. For me thats one of the attractions of tarps, being able to use different setups based on conditions. Definitely requires a skillset to be able to enjoy to its fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    I disagree to a point. If you turn that diamond pitch into the wind and use natural cover on the open side its a very weather worthy pitch. For me thats one of the attractions of tarps, being able to use different setups based on conditions. Definitely requires a skillset to be able to enjoy to its fullest.
    +1

Sherry's config protects him on 3 sides as well compared to the lean-to config which is basically a one sided protection config in itself.

Images

I agree with your title Tarps, Bliss and Dirt-Bagging but can't agree with your setup providing protection from Storms in its pictured configuration. I had a buddy once who set up in a similar fashion---see below fotog---

It only works in ideal conditions. In fact, cowboy camping w/o a tarp would also work. In a real storm with horizontal rain your setup would fail miserably.
    I might know that guy. I understand he still uses a 8' x 10' Oware tarp when appropriate, and a Six Moons Lunar when he doesn't think the tarp will cut the mustard.

Oddly enough he seems to be more influenced by insects than cold or bad weather. IIRC I've heard him say things about not pitching camp in exposed areas if bad weather is expected.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

My planned shelter is a blue poly tarp.

[QUOTE=gracebowen;2090707]My planned shelter is a blue poly tarp.[/QUOTE

bad storm will fix that

I agree with your title Tarps, Bliss and Dirt-Bagging but can't agree with your setup providing protection from Storms in its pictured configuration. . . It only works in ideal conditions. . .
    I was not trying to promote a particular pitch. I am trying to promote the incredible effectiveness of a really inexpensive tarp as a backpacking shelter. It's not a simple diamond pitch, and set up the way it was it provided perfect protection from the storm, relatively mild as it was, winds and rain gusting to 20 or 30 mph at the ground (yes, I have an animometer), significantly more across the treetops. I was fully protected on two sides, mostly protected on the third side and on occasion got a gust of wet mist in the open side, but not enough to be anything more than refreshing.

Dogwood, Yes, the storm included driven rain and high winds, but the rain was driven into the protected sides of the tarp. I pitched the tarp for the storm I expected, winds were being relatively consistent, the tarp is in a relatively protected area, and I wanted as much open side as I could get to enjoy the storm while not being too exposed. I would consider the pitch I used to be a moderate storm pitch, not really a serious storm pitch, even if some people would consider wind and rain gusting to 20-30 mph a serious storm.

Cheyou, Regarding your concern about a bad storm making a cheap blue tarp fail, that is the whole reason I started this thread. Pitched correctly with shock absorbers (rubber bands in my case) on the guylines, cheap poly tarps are surprisingly durable, even in heavy gusty battering winds. Without shock absorbers, cheap poly tarps are complete junk. With shock absorbers they hold up extremely well. The tarp pitched in my photo probably has two dozen backpacking nights on it including mountaintop storms significantly windier than last night, and yes, pitched tighter and more closely to the ground.

As for the hassle of using shock absorbing guy lines, rubber bands are cheap, and I use them anyway on all my tarps and tents in potentially windy conditions.

By chance, I happened by Ikea this evening and noticed they have a blue version of the tarp I used (8x10 poly) for $4.99 and they have the twin sized comforter I used (Tilkort) on sale for $12.74.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I was not trying to promote a particular pitch. I am trying to promote the incredible effectiveness of a really inexpensive tarp as a backpacking shelter. It's not a simple diamond pitch, and set up the way it was it provided perfect protection from the storm, relatively mild as it was, winds and rain gusting to 20 or 30 mph at the ground (yes, I have an animometer), significantly more across the treetops. I was fully protected on two sides, mostly protected on the third side and on occasion got a gust of wet mist in the open side, but not enough to be anything more than refreshing.

Dogwood, Yes, the storm included driven rain and high winds, but the rain was driven into the protected sides of the tarp. I pitched the tarp for the storm I expected, winds were being relatively consistent, the tarp is in a relatively protected area, and I wanted as much open side as I could get to enjoy the storm while not being too exposed. I would consider the pitch I used to be a moderate storm pitch, not really a serious storm pitch, even if some people would consider wind and rain gusting to 20-30 mph a serious storm.

Cheyou, Regarding your concern about a bad storm making a cheap blue tarp fail, that is the whole reason I started this thread. Pitched correctly with shock absorbers (rubber bands in my case) on the guylines, cheap poly tarps are surprisingly durable, even in heavy gusty battering winds. Without shock absorbers, cheap poly tarps are complete junk. With shock absorbers they hold up extremely well. The tarp pitched in my photo probably has two dozen backpacking nights on it including mountaintop storms significantly windier than last night, and yes, pitched tighter and more closely to the ground.

As for the hassle of using shock absorbing guy lines, rubber bands are cheap, and I use them anyway on all my tarps and tents in potentially windy conditions.

By chance, I happened by Ikea this evening and noticed they have a blue version of the tarp I used (8x10 poly) for $4.99 and they have the twin sized comforter I used (Tilkort) on sale for $12.74.
    Nice post. Good content. Pitched it nice with a good config for the conditions after rightly assessing the situation.. THX. Do you suggest the shock absorber just lengthens the useful life of the grommet holding in the tarp's poly fabric or it totally alleviates the tendency for poly tarps with grommets to eventually rip out?

The way I usually pitch a tarp is similar to the photo Tipi Walter posted, only I run a cord between 2 trees and then drape the tarp over it about 2 feet, then two guy strings to the ground. This provides an overhang in the front with some protection. The back two corners I usually just find two rocks.

The main thing with using a tarp is site selection. You don't want to set it up over a bowl or on an incline where water will flow under it...even with a ground cloth you will get wet. Likewise, the key to avoid wind and rain blowing in from the side is to find a way to set it up so the wind won't blow under it. Finding a natural windbreak helps with that...a big rock formation or hill, a large or several evergreen trees whose branches droop all the way to the ground. The smaller your tarp the more important this is...a larger tarp will forgive if rain blows in on the side a bit, which is why I use a 10x12 tarp rather than an 8x10 one.

People who are interested in using a tarp in "extreme" conditions should study Dzjow's Adventure Log---

https://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping...o-spinntex-97/

I wrote a short review of his experience on one of my trips in my trip report---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=478248

Great links tipi.

I question the integrity of the materials the OP suggests in the context of thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Great links tipi.

I question the integrity of the materials the OP suggests in the context of thru hike.
    Although it probably makes a difference in how a thru hiker would plan to use it:

If said thru hiker were willing to use the shelter facilities where they were available and only wanted to carry a tarp for when one was not available, then it could work fine (as they wouldn't be using it night after night for months at a time).

Also should it develop a problem, there are quite few areas along the trail where one would have to travel more than a day or two without being able to access some sort of road to get to an area where they could replace their gear, and the types of items being used are (I would think) more likely to be available in most areas than is "regular" camping gear (after all, the tarp, rope, rubber bands and window plastic, or similar items would be in just about any town with a hardware store, general merchandise store and probably in many of the $ store chains as well, which covers most towns with at least one of those).

People who are interested in using a tarp in "extreme" conditions should study Dzjow's Adventure Log---

https://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping...o-spinntex-97/

I wrote a short review of his experience on one of my trips in my trip report---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=478248
    MLD Grace customized Solo Spinntex .97 or MLD Solo CF .75 was what I used for 1/2 the AT, all of the PCT and CDT, two JMT's, a SHR, ? Sierra trips, ? east coast trips, SupHT, Ouachita T, BenMckaT, PinhT, LongT, some of the PacifcNorthwestT, Wonderland T, Hayduke T,……in all four seasons doing as Dzjow's pics indicate. It works in the right hands with the right hands(skills) coming after 100's of set ups. Stuffs so small which has helped reduce the pack size volume needed which snowballs in needing a lower volume lower wt pack. Dries off so much faster than a tent. Even when not needing to set it up it's a pillow, ground cloth, extra top warmth, extra top protection(the occasional burrito), draped over my neck and shoulders for the occasional extra protection and warmth, …..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Last night I pitched my $10 poly tarp in my backyard using about $3 worth of paracord, a few rubber bands and $5 worth of aluminum gutter spikes along with my trekking poles. I slept on a ground sheet that was $6 worth of window shrink-and-seal plastic sheet. I was covered by a 100% polyester, $20, Ikea twin comforter. I slept like a baby enjoying the blustery winds and driving rain brought on by hurricane Hermine.

Being north of Cape Cod, we didn’t experience true hurricane winds and rain. We were on the edge of the storm and my back yard is sheltered by trees, so I probably didn’t experience winds stronger than 20-30 mph last night.

backyard tarping.jpg

I did this for a number of reasons:

[LIST=1][*]I love sleeping under a tarp watching and feeling a good storm blow through. To me, it is a wonderful and surprisingly soothing drama.

[*]Even cheap poly tarps, with a good pitch with shock absorbers (rubber bands in this case), can manage high winds and heavy rain with ease and grace. No duh, I’ve used this system for years, even on extended backpacking trips, in all kinds of weather.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Can you post a closeup picture of your guy lines with the rubber band setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    . . . I question the integrity of the materials the OP suggests in the context of thru hike.
    So do I, and I'm the OP. I'm sure there are people that have made cheap poly tarps last for an entire thru-hike, but unlikely by sleeping under it every night for 5 months.

BillyGr makes good points.

If I am taking a cheap poly tarp as my primary shelter, I do carry one of those cheap plastic tarp guy-line clamp thingies, so I can easily attache a guy line anywhere along the edge of the tarp for a custom pitch or to replace a torn grommet. I have yet to actually tear out a grommet as long as they are attached to guy-lines with shock absorbers.

Depending on the guy line tension I want, I use either 1/4 inch wide or 1/2 inch wide ones. I posted some pictures and commentary a while ago in post #8 in this other thread.

Back to using a cheap poly tarp on a thru-hike, I'd expect to have to replace it every month or two if I was using one as my primary shelter. It would be fun to see how long one would last in that use. Any takers?

As for Tipi, dude, you just like heavy, durable, reliable stuff. Some of us don't mind a little rainy mist, a little spindrift, a rare night of sleeping a bit cold, or the risk of a manageable gear failure in exchange for "being closer to nature" while we sleep, or carrying significantly less weight so we can walk further with less risk of injury, or spend less money on gear that works well enough so we can work fewer hours or spend our money on other aspects of our adventures. You love and swear by your Arcteryx parka, one of the most amazing jackets ever made. Being in the industry, I can buy one for something like 80% off of retail right now, and I can't bring myself to buy one because I really have no use for it. My silnylon poncho is my goto rain-gear even in the deepest clutches of winter. An Arcteryx parka would just sit on a hanger in my closet except for a few days of extreme weather climbing for which any of my many other parkas will do adequately.

I think it's fun to figure out how effective one can make the simplest and/or least expensive gear. I find it eye opening.

How many shower curtains did Granny Gatewood go through on her hike?

Nsherry1 FTW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++