WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Default Tarp size for HH

I am in the process of making a tarp for my HH. I want to make a square tarp picked diagonally. Both to make it easier to pitch and easier to make. I am also going to attach it directly to the tree instead of the hammock.

My question is on the size. I was looking at Jeff's website and pics on it, and of the pics of the camo tarp that neo found online.

Should I make an 8'x8' tarp or an 9'x9' tarp? I am not to big on shelters, so I want a tarp that will provide more than enough wind/rain protection. Weight wise it should only be a difference of 2.5 oz.

I have enough sil-nylon to make both, so in the end that might happen. I wanted a second tarp left at home as a backup.

Images

If the difference is only a couple of ounces, AND you're not anal about counting grams, I would go for the 9x9. I have a MacCat Deluxe for my HH and I love having the extra coverage.
    Peace,
    Joe

That's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to go too big. It is only 6" more on each end and 1.5' longer on the ridge line.

Images

Do you have sil-nylon wide enough to make the seam along the ridgeline for either or both?

The ridgeline for the 8' x 8' will be about 11.5', which would mean 5.75' wide for each half. That's 69", so you'd need sil-nylon that was say 71" wide or so for the seams.

I was going to make one of these myself, but couldn't find sil-nylon wider than 62" and didn't want the seam running diagonally.

Images

To go along w/ your question, hammock engineer,,, & maybe you know this & can shed some light (b/c I'm also about to make a tarp for my HH too). If making a square tarp, say 9'x9', & putting the seam on the diagonal, then I assume, based on my calculations, that you would need a piece of silnylon wider than the average 5' roll. If making a 9x9, my calculations state that I would need a piece of silnylon that's around 7' wide by 12 & 3/4' long (per side,, each side cut out like a triangle). Are my calculations right, or am I missing something? Thanks!!

edit...... Patrick,, just saw your post after I entered mine,,, I guess my calculations were right. I didn't know they actually made silnylon wider than 62". I wonder where the Jacks get their material?
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 01-10-2006 at 19:09.

Images

Beat you, Dawg. You got the 9' x 9' in there, though. The width for 9' x 9' would have to be about 6.5' per side, I think - 12.75' / 2

Yeah, what can I say my math sucks. I guess I need a bigger equation with more variables, that is closer to what I am used to. Guess I need to go back to school, again.

Someone should make a 9' wide roll. That would be worth a few extra dollars. No seams, nothing to seal.

GAME 2000
    Images

I think folks making square tarps with the diagonal on the ridgeline are making them less than 8 feet on the sides, in large part because silnylon is about 65" wide on the roll, including the scree(?). But you don't have to make it square if you don't want to, you can make it diamond shape or even asym.

In general, the diamond shapes give minimum coverage and is the lightest weight alternative. Next up in coverage is the hex shape and then the rectangular shaped tarps. The primary tradeoff is coverage versus weight... if you start with a rectangular shape, a hex shape removes some of the corners and a diamond shape removes all the corners.

Images

Default camoflage

Has anyone found camoflage silnylon in any style out there yet?

Images

ncmtns,

I've looked, written, and called and there's none to be had. I called every outdoor manufacturer I know or could find and even called everyone from REI to Tom Hennessy. No one had any and everyone told me they don't make it. You can find 1.9 oz coated at Rockywoods, Quest, and others, but no silnylon.

I don't know if it has to do with sil "impregnation" making patterns a no-go or what. First one to find it gets a case of their favorite booze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    First one to find it gets a case of their favorite booze.
    You're on!!

++ New Posts ++