WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question on Mt. Greylock's Stony Ledge site

Greetings! I'm doing so online recon ahead of our Boy Scout troop's trip to the AT and the Greylock summit. We are camping at the Stony Ledge group site. I was hoping some of you kind folks will have visited that site and let me know a couple of things:

1. Is there sufficient space for a couple of tents to be setup near the shelter for the adults (scouts are inside)? And are we going to have trouble planting a stake (it is called Stony Ledge after all)?
    2. Is this a good spot to use hammocks? We've got a couple of hangers in our group.

Thanks!
    Tom

Might want to ask the Mount Greylock State Reservation, they publish this guide:
    http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/par...estedhikes.pdf
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Greetings! I'm doing so online recon ahead of our Boy Scout troop's trip to the AT and the Greylock summit. We are camping at the Stony Ledge group site. I was hoping some of you kind folks will have visited that site and let me know a couple of things:

1. Is there sufficient space for a couple of tents to be setup near the shelter for the adults (scouts are inside)? And are we going to have trouble planting a stake (it is called Stony Ledge after all)?
    2. Is this a good spot to use hammocks? We've got a couple of hangers in our group.

Thanks!
    Tom
    Reading your descriptions I can't quite picture where on the map this site is located:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/par...s/greylock.pdf

since the AT (dark dotted line from the P at the top of the map, eventually crossing Route 8 near the bottom right) doesn't get near the area of Stony Ledge.

I can say that over the years we've been around many of the trails both day hiking and camping and when camping have never had an issue fitting an average sized Scout group in any of the areas we did stay, without having issues with others there (as many of the shelters in MA tend to be larger with a loft style ones that can easily accommodate a larger number of people than a traditional lean-to).

Thanks for your feedback! We are camping at a designated group site off of the AT, and then accessing the AT via the hopper. Not worried about getting to the AT or the summit, was just scoping out info on the campsite itself.

++ New Posts ++