Default Goat Rocks Wilderness

Many people think the Goat Rocks Wilderness is the prettiest part of the PCT. Here is my photo album from a recent hike through the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...FzzgFgLtKF6joM
    Shutterbug

Images

Thanks for bringing back some great memories. You had some awesome clarity, Rainier looked like you could just reach out and touch her. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I still look forward to camping at the small campsite on that small knoll the PCT winds around. What a view.

Very nice.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Thanks for posting the photos. GR has been on my B-list for some time. I'd love to know what your itinerary was: PCT only, or PCT plus other trails to make a loop or two loops; which trailheads you used to leave vehicles and/or resupply; daily mileages; etc. Many thanks for whatever you have time and inclination to share.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Thanks for posting the photos. GR has been on my B-list for some time. I'd love to know what your itinerary was: PCT only, or PCT plus other trails to make a loop or two loops; which trailheads you used to leave vehicles and/or resupply; daily mileages; etc. Many thanks for whatever you have time and inclination to share.
    We hiked from White Pass to Walupt Lake. Before we started, we parked a SUV at Walupt Lake. It has a large parking lot with a volunteer "camp host." It is safe to leave a vehicle there. Then we drove back to White Pass to start the hike. On Day One, we hiked from White Pass to Hidden Spring. There are several good camp sites at Hidden Spring. On Day Two, we hiked from Hidden Spring to a camp site on a knoll overlooking Elk Pass. On the third day we hiked another 8 to 8 1/2 miles and camped near a waterfall. On day 4 we hiked out to Walupt Lake, another 8 miles.

The book I used to plan the hike suggested that there were places to camp near the "Yelverton Shelter." We were later than planned in getting on the trail, so we stopped early the first day. We were really thankful because the camp sites at Hidden Spring are good and we really didn't see any reasonable camp sites around the remains of the shelter. The shelter site is high on a ridge with no water near by.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-06-2016 at 14:32.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    We hiked from White Pass to Walupt Lake. Before we started, we parked a SUV at Walupt Lake. It has a large parking lot with a volunteer "camp host." It is safe to leave a vehicle there. Then we drove back to White Pass to start the hike. On Day One, we hiked from White Pass to Hidden Spring. There are several good camp sites at Hidden Spring. On Day Two, we hiked from Hidden Spring to a camp site on a knoll overlooking Elk Pass. On the third day we hiked another 8 to 8 1/2 miles and camped near a waterfall. On day 4 we hiked out to Walupt Lake, another 8 miles.
    Shutterbug - White Pass to Walupt Lake is my route at the end of August. Sounds like you were able to evenly space out the miles - were there plenty of camping options along the way? My father in law is coming out with us on this one, it's been years since he's been backpacking so I'm not sure how to plan miles. I was thinking day 2 would be Hidden Spring to Snowgrass Flat, but it sounds like you found good camping earlier which would be ideal. Any other tips you have on this hike would be appreciated. Excited to get out there after giving up on Wonderland Trail permits.

Images

One of my favorite spots on the PCT along with the Sierras and the North Cascades. I recall camping on that knoll.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++