WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

No trail name yet
    NOBO
    Early-Mid March
    No approach trail

Trail Name: Boots
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: 030117
    Approach Trail: ??

Trail Name: Kindling (maybe)
    Start Date: First week of March
    Haven't decided on the approach yet!

Graceful
    SOBO
    June 9, 2017
    No on the Approach - Already done it!

"43"
    NOBO
    March 19th
    No Approach trail

Ready to see you all on the trail!

Journal Entries
    Images

This is exciting!

Trail name: Greenlight (always will be)
    Estimated start date: May 1 (tentative - I'm going to see how far I get in 2 weeks)
    Approach trail: Hell yes
    This will be my first big chunk of the AT, as my new job affords me 30 days off per year. I don't know how far I make it, don't care how far I make it, but I'm hiking for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    The trail is calling ... time to make a commitment all you 2017ers!

Trail Name
    Direction

Estimated Start Date
    Approach Trail - yes or no
    any additional info that you want the world to know

Also consider registering with ATC to help avoid crowded conditions in GA. Weekends are typically busy as are March 1st, 15th and April 1st.

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

(Later in the season a spreadsheet will be available for viewing in the articles section.)

how to hike
    some observations

Trail Name: Blazing Brides (fiancée and I are using this team trail name)

Estimated Start Date: February 21, 2017 (if not, the 27th)
    Approach Trail: Yes

My fiancée and I will be getting married at the end of our thru-hike! We are calling out hike "trekking down the aisle", and will be documenting our journey on multiple social media sources. Additionally, I will be writing as a blogger for Appalachian Trials while on trail. We look foraged to meeting a bunch of awesome hikers and making endless memories!

Happy trails!!!🌲🌲🏕🌲🌲

I will be doing another section hike in 2017. And I plan to do some Trail magic. I do my sections in Feb./Mar. it will most likely be between Franklin,NC and Fontana.
    So, early birds Be warned.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

No trail name yet
    NOBO
    February 25/26
    Yes approach trail!

Correction, "Trekking Titans" is our team name.

Tiger
    NOBO March 21st
    definitely approaching (gotta get that arch pic)

GoA.T Trodder
    Nobo
    Approach trail February 25, A.T. 26th
    43y/o overweight male with M.S. married with 3 grown kids, one still in high school. Wife is super supportive and will be joining me for a section before Damascus and will be doing trail magic after.
    May have to flip to do main before I finish because both daughters getting married in September.
    Hike on!!!!!!!
    Trodder

Saxon, or Saxe, maybe. Or maybe I'll pick another up along the way.
    nobo
    early March, no set date
    Probably bypassing the approach trail, anxious to get the show on the road

Trail Name: Silverback
    Direction: Flip flop

Estimated Start Date: January 1, 2017
    Approach Trail - yes

My primary challenge is I have to work while undertake this adventure. The plan is to use my motor home to work from during the week. I'll move the motor home up the trail as sections are completed. The hope is to complete 25+ miles on the weekend and short 6-8mile sections during week day evenings. It will take the full year to complete so I plan to flip flop at some point. I'll do the approach trail New Year's eve and start NOBO on New Year's day. I'm going to schedule a mid-July Katahdin summit and then SOBO. Where I leave the trail in July will be my finish point. I'm afraid this will be anticlimactic but got to do what I got to do.

Cur Dog
    NOBO
    March 8

Will have to come off trail at least 2 x 1 week periods to attend family events.

No trail name yet.
    NOBO
    Haven't decided on an exact date
    Yes on the Approach Trail.

Also planning to do the GA section as a shakedown next month. I have 9 days so hopefully I'll be able to make it from Springer (no approach) to Deep Gap/Standing Indian shelter. If not, I'll get off at Top of Georgia and shuttle back to my car at Deep Gap.

No trail name.
    NOBO
    April 15
    No approach trail (Is this a problem? I'll do it if most people consider it part of the trail, but I don't mind cutting these miles since I'm already planning on 2189 miles.)

I've got preliminary approval from my boss to take Pay Without Leave for five or six months. But I'm not cleared by human resources yet. I'm cautiously optimistic. Otherwise I have to wait nine years until I retire.

I dislike cold weather, and figure I can pack a little lighter if I start April 15ish. My plan right now is to hammock. We'll see if that lasts.

I've got a couple of ideas for a trail name, but 1) how many "Ranger"s are on the AT every year, and 2) I also like the idea of stumbling (not literally) onto a trail name. Sort of like how you shouldn't name pets when you first meet them; you and they will figure out their name after a week or so.

I also figure (hope) I will finish in approximately 5 months, but am budgeting 6 months just in case.

I will be 48, but I really am a very young 48. My biggest fear is that I will be slower than the 20-somethings, and quicker than the 40+ crowd, so I'll never really be in any tiny bubbles. I am avoiding "the bubble" on purpose. I am hiking solo. My gf plans to meet with me at several points in Virginia during June/July weekends.

My other fears are being slowed down by blisters, and turning my ankle. I'm a fairly determined person, so the only thing that will prevent me from reaching Katahdin is injury.

Trail Name- Golf
    NOBO
    Mid April from Harpers Ferry at the Flip Flop Festival date, when it's set. I'm guessing April 15.

I just completed the Southern Section, Springer to Harper's Ferry (1,024) miles in about 90 days. Technically I won't actually be completing a thru, given that I'll end up at Katahdin after 365 days have passed, so call me a "Slasher", or a Thru in 2, or whatever, but I'm excited as can be to get back out & head north! Someone told me I should consider myself part of the 2017 class, so I will.

Let me me say that I had a fantastic hike this spring/summer and expect a similar hike next year. No one wants to hear me blather on about what I just did, so I won't. But for all first timers, whether you have LD experience or not, you are in for quite a journey!

I will gladly share with anyone who wishes to PM me for more information.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Trail Name- Golf
    NOBO
    Mid April from Harpers Ferry at the Flip Flop Festival date, when it's set. I'm guessing April 15.

I just completed the Southern Section, Springer to Harper's Ferry (1,024) miles in about 90 days. Technically I won't actually be completing a thru, given that I'll end up at Katahdin after 365 days have passed, so call me a "Slasher", or a Thru in 2, or whatever, but I'm excited as can be to get back out & head north! Someone told me I should consider myself part of the 2017 class, so I will.

Let me me say that I had a fantastic hike this spring/summer and expect a similar hike next year. No one wants to hear me blather on about what I just did, so I won't. But for all first timers, whether you have LD experience or not, you are in for quite a journey!

you wouldn't be Greg would you???????

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Trail Name- Golf
    NOBO

you wouldn't be Greg would you???????

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++