WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Peoples personal ideas of shelter etiquette, are just that.

First come first served served, with no other regulations in most areas. Deal with it.

Lots of thru hikers that break federal and state laws all over the trail, then get panties in a wad because someone does something legal that they disagree with. Suck it. Bunch of whiney babies. Getting rid of shelters would be step to getting rid of these people, and much of the thru hiker number problems.
    Getting rid of shelters gets rid of the thru hiker number problems? 8 people in a shelter...how many won't thru hike without it? 1? 2? Meh....

Besides, shelters serve their purpose. Not mine, but they have their place.

Somebody needs to go hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It's because the next morning you don't have to jam a wet shelter back into your pack.
    That's a great reason to use cuben fiber. A quick shake and a wipedown with a chamois and it's dry as a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I've heard hammoclers swear they never get wet in their hammocks. So unless the rain is already pelting down when you arrive and you don't want to set up in the rain, why does "Iffy weather" or rain coming in make it a better option to sleep with rats and strangers?
    I'm one of those people who never gets wet in his hammock. I can set the tarp up in about 1 minute in the rain and I'll be dry from that point on. Also, I've never seen a mouse get on my hammock or tarp yet in hundreds of nights out there.

For me, I would never stay in a shelter because I snore and everyone would hate me (more) by morning. It would be something like the Blanket Party scene from Full Metal Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=gIAHSPcFQdc

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post

For me, I would never stay in a shelter because I snore and everyone would hate me (more) by morning. It would be something like the Blanket Party scene from Full Metal Jacket.

]
    I'd be happily surprised if you could find enough hikers that carry soap to pull that off.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I'd be happily surprised if you could find enough hikers that carry soap to pull that off.
    Ouch, stop...why are you sitting me with an empty sock?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Ouch, stop...why are you sitting me with an empty sock?
    A crusty hiking sock.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'm glad there are so many shelters on the AT. People tend to concentrate in and around them, leaving the unspoiled woods to people like me

haven't had the pleasure of that yet

Because of a shuttle driver who showed up two hours late on a long day,we hiked two hours in the dark(I NEVER hike at night) and finally got to the shelter. It was filled with two tents set up on the diagonal,so there was no room for two tired hikers. So we put up tents in the rain,and in the morning saw the two hikers who used the space that would have held eight. Is it rude and wrong? Hell yes!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Because of a shuttle driver who showed up two hours late on a long day,we hiked two hours in the dark(I NEVER hike at night) and finally got to the shelter. It was filled with two tents set up on the diagonal,so there was no room for two tired hikers. So we put up tents in the rain,and in the morning saw the two hikers who used the space that would have held eight. Is it rude and wrong? Hell yes!
    And yet many would consider people showing up late, after dark, after others have settled in....to be the rude inconsiderate ones...... Expecting space to be available or made for them...self centered and judgemental as well...

First come, first served
    Expect nothing, and you wont be dissapointed
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2017 at 04:36.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    That's a great reason to use cuben fiber. A quick shake and a wipedown with a chamois and it's dry as a bone.
    Not if it's raining when you are packing up in the morning.

Khike

Excuse me MW, but that is bull dinkle. Me and my bud set our tents up many times, in the shelter, and twice, people came in after dark and we picked up our freestanding TT's and found a nice place outside. It's the respectful thing to do. We even planned it, had our sites staked out. I've also slept in shelters, shoulder to shoulder, no funny smells, a few snorers, wasn't too bad. I slept well, and I am a snorer. I told the person next to me to give me a shove, if I was too loud. He told me, in the am, he shoved me a couple times and I turned over and quieted down. Not self centered or judgemental, at all. I think that's just rude, on the part of the tenters. Is that a word? By the way, having a shelter to set up you tent in, is a lot of fun. Very different, and a party atmosphere for us. But hey, to hell with them people. I like my tent. K Hike

If you're gonna setup a tent in a shelter why not just hoof it to the next road crossing and hit the local motel 6.

It's not always as it appears. My wife and I started our thru attempt April 8, 2014 and after feeling queasy on the flight down from Ohio we were actually pretty sick by the time we started the approach trail. Yes, we should have stayed put for a couple of days but the weather was perfect and we were just sure it was a only a bug, we hiked vowing not to interact with other hikers and possibly infecting them. By the time we reached the first shelter, Black Gap?, we were feeling pretty rough. It was late in the day and the weather had turned to cloudy and windy, we both just wanted to rest in our bags. We were no strangers to the Trail and typically tent unless the weather is very foul and sensing rain we decided to shelter. It was late in the day with no other hikers in sight so in deference to our condition we opted to set up the tent body in the shelter hoping to isolate ourselves, but of course by nightfall six other hikers had arrived and I'm sure I heard some grumbling. First off, the footprint of our Hubba Hubba probably occupied less floor space than our bags and gear would have otherwise but still it just looks bad. We're not big fans of the shelters but at the end of the day in a driving rain I dare say that most hikers will suck it up and sleep under cover rather than risk wetting down their entire outfit, I've been sectioning the Trail since '99 and have seen it many times. On the bright side a young girl calling herself "Braids" made us pot of hot tea after learning of our distress, we will never forget that kindness.

The next morning found us feeling much better and we continued our hike, we only saw our benefactor a couple more times, she was very fit and much faster, I hope she finished.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    And yet many would consider people showing up late, after dark, after others have settled in....to be the rude inconsiderate ones...... Expecting space to be available or made for them...self centered and judgemental as well...
    First come, first served
    Expect nothing, and you wont be dissapointed
    I disagree.

I mean, I agree with the old saying about expecting nothing and not being disappointed, but on this subject...

Knowing that tents aren't supposed to be set up inside shelters makes it an easy expectation to have. It's like expecting people to stop at red lights; when someone runs one and hits you, you are going to be "disappointed".

I've not heard of rules about when you should start of finish hiking for the day, so people come into a shelter at all hours. Granted, usually people arrive to get a spot in a shelter an hour or three before the sun goes down, but some people hike past dark. And that's ok, hyoh and all. Generally speaking, people try to be quiet if they show up in a shelter with sleeping people inside, as the early risers usually try to be very quiet as they are packing up.

I think I would at least ask the people inside the shelter inside their tents if they would be so kind as to take down one or both of their tents to make room for another hiker or two.

I understand the joy of packing up a wet tent, in the rain. I've done it. I prefer not to. Those are the nights I would choose to sleep in a shelter. I can't imagine setting up my tent, diagonally, inside a shelter, taking up half the available space - and not being willing to take it down if other hikers showed up. The thing is, not all hikers who would LIKE to sleep in the shelter are (insert your adjective here) enough to actually ask someone to take the tents down.

Images

I find the idea of erecting your shelter inside a shelter to be humorous. What's special about you that you can't lay down your pad and bag out in the open like everyone else? Oh, because there's nobody there and that gives you license to make yourself feel special?

On the one hand, MW is right that there are no rules, deal with it. On the other hand, its BS. There's plenty of stuff in life where thoughtful abiding prudence is what makes things work as well as they do. Laws, regulations and enforcement of them can only go so far - and for that reason, should be limited - so that its important for all to understand what is prudent to do in various situations. And perhaps to understand the consequences of lack of prudence, or etiquette.

Frankly, if going to sleep in a shelter (can't remember last time I did that) I wouldn't mind coming upon a Hubba setup, but a Hubba Hubba like I also have... if it were me, I'd cut it. Hey, no rules, right?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I mostly setup tents in shelters so that I can troll FB backpacking groups with photos of my handiwork.

55630E9B-348A-46DD-A8DE-96F75F526F54.jpeg

2082288F-C6F7-478B-8C08-FB32BCC03F2A.jpeg

AF989BA4-F3B8-4EF3-9B30-69E93CCF6CAB.jpeg

Images

I mostly setup tents in shelters so that I can troll FB backpacking groups with photos of my handiwork.
    True to your name!! Priming my blow darts.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

AF989BA4-F3B8-4EF3-9B30-69E93CCF6CAB.jpeg

Is this the double or just the Rainbow? So I know how to responds as a Troll!

On my Thru, I only saw tents in shelters a couple of times. I didn’t mind because I set up my hammock with the bugnet as a bivy sac. The bugs were relentless all night. The tenters complained that even without the fly, it was still hot but at least dry. In the Port Clinton Pavilion, I was jealous of the tents,in there, they didn’t have to worry about bird crap! At least the bugs weren’t bad there and once again, Gear stayed dry!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    True to your name!! Priming my blow darts.
    Do so at your own risk. We elfs return fire.

A7DCE5BE-4290-4A04-8725-3473F8D07D89.jpeg

In truth, I do agree that it’s almost always bad form the setup a tent inside a shelter. In the photos I posted, one was a private rented shelter and the other two were during the dead of winter when it was clear nobody had been to either shelter in weeks. I simply find that some people, in Facebook groups especially get so over the top about it that I can’t help but bait them a little.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++