WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Wonder why the shelters look so good if rain is in the forecast? Does your tent or hammock not have a rain fly? I don't get wet in my tent. I've heard hammoclers swear they never get wet in their hammocks. So unless the rain is already pelting down when you arrive and you don't want to set up in the rain, why does "Iffy weather" or rain coming in make it a better option to sleep with rats and strangers?
    Some of us don't necessarily fear all strangers. One of the most wonderful things about hiking is the people you meet. I've had many enjoyable nights in shelters.

Some shelters have mice. Rats, not so much.

The thread is about putting up tents inside of shelters, which, IMO, is gauche. Poor manners. Something that a newb would do. But it's not about whether we like shelters or not.

Wonder why the shelters look so good if rain is in the forecast? Does your tent or hammock not have a rain fly? I don't get wet in my tent. I've heard hammoclers swear they never get wet in their hammocks. So unless the rain is already pelting down when you arrive and you don't want to set up in the rain, why does "Iffy weather" or rain coming in make it a better option to sleep with rats and strangers?
    Perceived conveniences unit STE smears PB on your tent and the farts, snoring, and nightmares of others start.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Perceived conveniences unit STE smears PB on your tent and the farts, snoring, and nightmares of others start.
    1) I didn't say I condone the smearing of PB, I just said that I might laugh about it if it happened.

2) That's the shortest post I've ever seen you write.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Some of us don't necessarily fear all strangers. One of the most wonderful things about hiking is the people you meet. I've had many enjoyable nights in shelters.

The thread is about putting up tents inside of shelters, which, IMO, is gauche. Poor manners. Something that a newb would do. But it's not about whether we like shelters or not.
    The day we met I was using my unrolled tent as a groundsheet in the shelter, does that count or not?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The day we met I was using my unrolled tent as a groundsheet in the shelter, does that count or not?
    No. A tent that's set up in a shelter says to any other approaching hiker: "this space is mine." That's what's rude about it. A tent being used as a ground sheet doesn't have a similar effect, as long as the space you're claiming for yourself is reasonable.

In the case you're referring to, our group had pretty much taken over the shelter in any case (within rights, as we were the first to arrive) so no issue. As you may recall, I was my tent that night.

Ok, how about TWO tents in a shelter?

This is the Stockbridge Shelter in Harriman State Park, June 26 this year, 7:54am. I couldn't resist taking a photo because it was one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen. Kinda funny, too, because the sun came up around 5 am and these people were not even awake yet. FWIW the weather was absolutely perfect with zero chance of rain in the forecast.
    tents inside shelter.jpg

It is rude and presumptuous to set up in such a way that people will have to ask for space. The people who do this are either clueless or count on the fact that probably more than half of new arrivals will see their tent setup and not want to have to ask for space. None of this effects me since I do not like shelters and have no desire to sleep in one but I have seen this several times. The most ridiculous was on a perfect night in April at one of the shelters near the VA "roller coaster" - I forget which shelter.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It is rude and presumptuous to set up in such a way that people will have to ask for space. The people who do this are either clueless or count on the fact that probably more than half of new arrivals will see their tent setup and not want to have to ask for space. None of this effects me since I do not like shelters and have no desire to sleep in one but I have seen this several times. The most ridiculous was on a perfect night in April at one of the shelters near the VA "roller coaster" - I forget which shelter.
    I don't tent in shelters - it isn't lawful on state land in New York. (Really! New York has a regulation for everything....) As far as cluelessness goes, I score high on that scale. On the rare occasions that I use a shelter, I ted to wind up with gear spread all over, and then have to apologize profusely while tidying it if anyone else arrives. If it's still earlyish, sometimes the tidying will extend to vacating the shelter and letting others have it to themselves. I really do like to have some space claimed, "this is mine for tonight", and so I just don't claim it in a shelter, which I know is shared.

One thing that is not rude in winter in the ADK's is to bring a big tarp, hang it across the lean-to entrance, and bank snow against it. Base camping while peak bagging is a lot more popular there. The tarp-and-snow thing doesn't announce, "this lean-to is mine" by claiming a lot of floor space, it just keeps the wind out, and others who may arrive welcome the extra warmth.

On most of the trails I hike, there's less rudeness about taking up a lot of shelter space. It's actually uncommon, except on summer weekends, for a party not to have a shelter to themselves, so who cares how they use it?

Aside to cmoulder - As I said, I don't tent in shelters, but often I'm that guy sleeping in on a lovely morning. I always lose sleep putting things in order before a hike, and wind up needing to sleep in the first couple of mornings before I really feel up to getting moving early. And by then it's time to come home again. More cluelessness on my part, I suppose.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I hiked with a guy that set his tent up in the shelter one night. Mice are a hole in his tent...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mice ARE a hole in his tent?? I agree, mice are Holes and possibly even A-Holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I just don't understand the theory that a tent will keep a mouse out. Setting up a tent in a shelter in three season conditions seems like a great way to end up with a tent that has holes in it.
    Very true. Shelters are "rat-boxes" and why risk a good tent?

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    For me, pitching a tent in a shelter, when other people are sharing the shelter, is a last resort, and for the below reasons only:

1) It's raining and/or rain is forecast, and
    2) You absolutely can't tolerate mice, and
    3) You're not hogging space when there are others.

I'm amazed at the number of hikers - thru/section/day - who seem to rely on shelters. I grew up learning to tent camp on the ground. Shelters are nice if you're really lonely and desire company, or if rain is imminent, or if you absolutely can't find a smooth tent location. But, otherwise, I say just pitch a tent off the trail. One of the appeals of backpacking is getting as close to DIY as possible.
    I've camped thousands of nights in the rain or when rain was imminent and always used a tent. Never once slept in a shelter. A shelter IS NOT a last resort when it's raining---see Lnj's post below. And the worst place to be if you can't tolerate mice is anywhere near a shelter, with or w/o a tent.

I like shelters. Tip Walter has one that will fit 6 of us. Party at Tipi's house. He's offering all the dehydrated Vegan food you can eat in exchange for 1 hr of trail maintenance. He supplies the hand pruners too.
    Tipi's house doesn't have any mice problems either.
    The only party going on in my tent is eating so if you like to eat come on out! As far as the little rodents go, well, I've had mice problems for the last 40 years. They are called field mice for a reason---they live everywhere. Whether I'm cowboy camping or tent camping or tarp camping, they will come for a visit on occasion. There is no stopping them short of bringing along a couple barn cats. I carry a small plastic mousetrap placed in the tent vestibule to keep them from chewing on my tent floor or running across my face.

Correcto. I mostly go backpacking where there are no shelters so it's a non-starter. And my tent keeps me dry and warm in all conditions. Shelters and Laziness go hand in hand. Why bother setting up your own shelter when it's much less effort to crap out in a AT box? Lazy hikers love the boxes.

What about pooping in the shelter so I don't get wet going to the privy?
    Seems about the same to me.

I've been guilty of putting up my tent minus the rain fly in a shelter once or twice, but was due to bad mosquito activity and more importantly no other hikers! As well, my netting isn't a huge footprint either.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    is that how you got that trail name?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Im sure its been done.

Ive smelled a few that were clearly pee'd in.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2016 at 07:26.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just use a tent...It's that easy and hike off season..Somebody puts a tent in the shelter they'll get an earful from me..I've done it before..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

if you have a tent you have a place to stay dry and you don't need a shelter. If the shelter is even partially full you have no business tenting in the shelter. It takes up more space than other hikers would take up and it is always first come first served.

A couple weeks ago on a section near McAfee Knob, ran up on a shelter after a LONG day of hiking and found a tent inside with LED lights strewn all over it and the shelter. Needless to say, we tented and probably got a better nights sleep anyway, but come on that was over the top. So in my opinion, setting up a tent in the shelter is just plain disrespectful to all others. This was actually the 1st time I'd ever seen a tent in the shelter. I've seen a few hammocks but that didn't bother me as the space was still available, if anyone needed it.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

It isn't about fearing strangers. I LOVE people! ALL people. It's just that sleeping TO ME is an intimate zone that I don't care to share with strangers. I'd prefer to tent right beside someone or congregate at a shelter around the fire to socialize and maybe eat dinner but sleep alone. Just a preference is all. I'm allowed. Countless stores selling tents and hammocks every day to allow me that option.

My question was because of the concern of rain being the reason so many use shelters. Someone answered it (Might have been Dogwood?). They said it was due to the inconvenience and pain of packing a wet tent back into your pack. I get that. I've done it and it was no big deal to me, but I do understand the not wanting to of it. I guess its just a matter of rathers. I'd rather pack a wet tent in my pack and maintain a scant slice of privacy to change clothes, snore, fart and whatever else I want to do without an audience, then to snuggle up to other stinky strangers and have mice and bugs crawl all over me in my sleep. Seems like people putting up tents in a shelter might prefer the same, so my question was... why in a shelter? If you are going to the trouble of putting up a tent at all, why would you do it in a shelter? I think Dogwood answered...and quite respectfully even.

But thanks anyway, Rafe.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

8401 Mitchell Mill Road. Zebulon, NC. 27597

If you're hiking in winter conditions then putting up a tent inside a shelter makes sense, warmer than a sleeping bag on a pad in a shelter, out of the snow & rain, have done this myself BUT if space is limited or your tent is set up and others show up then you need to do the right thing and make room (take the tent down) for others.

That is a NO-NO!
    Choose:
    A: Tent it - outside!
    B: Shelter:
    C: Hammock - outside!

Journal Entries

Peoples personal ideas of shelter etiquette, are just that.

First come first served served, with no other regulations in most areas. Deal with it.

Lots of thru hikers that break federal and state laws all over the trail, then get panties in a wad because someone does something legal that they disagree with. Suck it. Bunch of whiney babies. Getting rid of shelters would be step to getting rid of these people, and much of the thru hiker number problems.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2017 at 09:50.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++