WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ski areas off of Long Trail; Are any services available in September?

Hard to not notice that there are a bunch of ski areas right along the LT, and I was curious: Are they completely shut down in September in terms of services, like places to eat, or are they not? I see lots of places one could walk right down a gentle ski run and hit a resort for a big meal or whatever.

Also, side question: I'm thinking hitching off the LT in to towns is relatively easy, just like along most of the AT, correct?

thanks in advance for any info....

Images

The place that comes to mind first is the 'Inn at Long Trail.' Definitely an iconic 'hiker friendly' pit stop. I cannot think of anyplace I would want to walk down the slopes to get to town except maybe at Mad River Glenn (I have not tried that).. The one ski lift that I know runs through the summer is the gondola on Mount Mansfield. Since the next road crossing is usually just a day or two further I think it would make more sense to stick to the LT and hitch at the road crossings.

There is a warming hut at the top of Mad River Glenn called the 'Stark's Nest' that they leave unlocked for hikers through the summer. You can sleep inside if you want.

In terms of hitch hiking Vermont is one of the best places I have hitched. I've always had great luck getting rides in Vermont (except for in Stowe, but that is a different crowd there).

And September should be a great time to be in Vermont.

Images

Is this a thru-hike you are planning?

Unless things have changed Killington runs the ski lift to the summit, there is restaurant on top. I know of a few folks that have gone up and caught happy hour at the bar.

I found hitching to be pretty good in vt. Only problem I had was when we decided to go into Stowe. Too many tourists I guess!
    There were a couple areas where I wasn't even going to hitch (like a couple mile walk section) and I got asked by two different people and they gave me a bunch of water and fresh vegetables

Ski resorrts:
    A lot of the resorts have stuff open. You might not want to go to a lot of them though.
    Jay peak is a bit close to northern terminus but would have things open, bromley is close to manchester (typical resupply), killington is right near inn at long trail, which is better.
    Stratton has a bunch of stuff that is probably open
    Stowe mountain lodge has stuff at the base of mansfield (before you go up the mountain SOBO, or after you come down NOBO), but since I went into town I didn't go there

Bromley does have a ski patrol hut on the top that has a garbage and seems to open to hikers off season

The tram at Jay runs year round. We had beer and bacon-wrapped hot dogs at the top lift station. Almost exactly a year ago.

Images

The Stratton Mountain gondola runs on weekends and daily during leaf season. Ask Jean or Hugh, Stratton Mountain caretakers stationed at the summit fire tower. Of course, prices for dining at these resorts is pretty steep.

Bromley has been very generous letting hikers overnight at the summit warming hut (even has a privy). No water source, so be prepared.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I've walked on the LT from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap a couple times. That section goes over Mt. Abraham, over the peaks of Sugarbush ski area (Mt Ellen is one of them) and over Stark Mountain which is part of Mad River Glen ski area. September is a great month and starts to get some activity particularly on weekends once the fall foliage starts. Most of those "leaf peepers" are not hikers so some of the ski areas run a ski lift to get those people up to the top of the hill for foliage viewing. I can't imagine a ski area having a regular schedule for running the lift in September. I'd think it'd be weather dependent, weekend vs. weekday and dependent on how many people show up to ride the lift. You'd probably have to call the ski area on the day you were walking the trail to see if any lift was operating.

As far as "walk right down a gentle ski run and hit a resort" I've done that and I was shocked at how difficult that can be. Most ski runs from the top of the lifts on that section (where the LT goes) are anything but gentle. What seems like a gentle slope with snow on skis can be much more steep walking. Also, a ski trail that can take you a few minutes to ski top to bottom can take much, much longer to negotiate on foot. But the biggest challenge for me, and one that I had not thought about was hiking through chest-high, thick grass on the slopes. I must have fallen ten times from getting my legs tangled up in the grass (which was actually kind of fun because the grass was so cushioning, you couldn't get hurt).

Maybe there are areas on the LT where services and food are closer to the trail but from Lincoln Gap to App Gap, I wouldn't plan on walking down a ski slope. That's not to say that section is not worthwhile to hike. From atop Mt. Abraham you can see New Hampshire to the east and to the west, you can see across Lake Champlain into New York. It's a beautiful section.

As was mentioned, Mad River Glen leaves "Stark's Nest" open in summer for hikers to use as a shelter and Sugarbush leaves the Castlerock ski patrol warming hut open for the same use.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I found hitching to be pretty good in vt. Only problem I had was when we decided to go into Stowe. Too many tourists I guess!
    There were a couple areas where I wasn't even going to hitch (like a couple mile walk section) and I got asked by two different people and they gave me a bunch of water and fresh vegetables

Ski resorrts:
    A lot of the resorts have stuff open. You might not want to go to a lot of them though.
    Jay peak is a bit close to northern terminus but would have things open, bromley is close to manchester (typical resupply), killington is right near inn at long trail, which is better.
    Stratton has a bunch of stuff that is probably open
    Stowe mountain lodge has stuff at the base of mansfield (before you go up the mountain SOBO, or after you come down NOBO), but since I went into town I didn't go there

Bromley does have a ski patrol hut on the top that has a garbage and seems to open to hikers off season
    Sounds like good news! I'll carry a bit less food then (but more $$$!). I asked because typically out here in Colorado, summer is hopping at the ski areas (mountain biking, music festivals, etc), but Sept/Oct tend to be pretty much shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Is this a thru-hike you are planning?
    Not quite Scotty, I don't quite have time for a full end-to-end; family obligations (grand daughter due!) will bring me home after two+ weeks, maybe a tad more, doubt if I'll quite make the whole thing, but that's OK, already done the AT portion of the LT. My goal is to do the un-done northern LT, and just make it as far south as possible in the time I have, without rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Sounds like good news! I'll carry a bit less food then (but more $$$!). I asked because typically out here in Colorado, summer is hopping at the ski areas (mountain biking, music festivals, etc), but Sept/Oct tend to be pretty much shut down.

Not quite Scotty, I don't quite have time for a full end-to-end; family obligations (grand daughter due!) will bring me home after two+ weeks, maybe a tad more, doubt if I'll quite make the whole thing, but that's OK, already done the AT portion of the LT. My goal is to do the un-done northern LT, and just make it as far south as possible in the time I have, without rushing.
    if you're focusing on the north then you probably won't have too many options. Jay is only like 10 miles or so in so not so useful.
    I would think it will be pretty quiet most of the way (and very quiet some of the way!) south to rutland, other than the mansfield/stowe area that should still be somewhat busy

do you have the LT end-t0-enders guide? all this is covered in it.

don't forget about the cliff house restaurant on mt. mansfield.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    do you have the LT end-t0-enders guide? all this is covered in it.
    I do actually, duh! I didn't realize the question of ski area food services being open in the shoulder season (Sept/Oct) was covered.

Sorry to bother you all, I need to read up some more in the guide.

Images

I work at Stratton, our gondola will be running. Enjoy the trip.

Good late Sept early Oct Fall hike choice well suited for you for a two wk east coast jaunt. As you may already know the lower 100 miles or so of the LT conjoined with the AT is easier. That 100 miles isn't as steep, as rooty, isn't as rocky, is generally wider tread, and largely but not entirely routed through deciduous woods. In the northern 2/3 or so the LT goes steeply at times only a pedestrian can follow directly up and over the state's highest peaks. Don't expect easily graded switchbacks as you find in Colorado such as on the CT that is constructed for multi use. The construction is based on straight up and straight over the peaks. Come ready to hike. All the LT elevation profiles I've seen can be deceptive as that northern half has so many 50 ft or less elev changes that don't show up on the profiles. I suppose you're going SOBO?

I've found the same thing as Orthofingers said particularly in late Sept after a strong growing season and a bit lax of maintenance on the ski runs: "As far as "walk right down a gentle ski run and hit a resort" I've done that and I was shocked at how difficult that can be. Most ski runs from the top of the lifts on that section (where the LT goes) are anything but gentle. What seems like a gentle slope with snow on skis can be much more steep walking. Also, a ski trail that can take you a few minutes to ski top to bottom can take much, much longer to negotiate on foot. But the biggest challenge for me, and one that I had not thought about was hiking through chest-high, thick grass on the slopes. I must have fallen ten times from getting my legs tangled up in the grass (which was actually kind of fun because the grass was so cushioning, you couldn't get hurt)." I'll add some ski runs have loose rocks some the size of basketballs.

Getting back to your question though yes you'll be able to supplement a bit so possibly can afford taking less food at times.

VT has to be one of the friendliest hitch hiker states for hikers. Only in the most touristy areas will you have a harder time finding a hitch from tourists or those from out of state(Naw Yarkers, Bostonites, hoity toity Connectites, etc) with second homes in VT. Vermonters know about their beloved Long Trail. When they see you they will know what you're doing being a hiker hiking the LT and needing a ride. Many times these same folks will stop and offer or ask what you're doing to confirm you're hiking the LT which opens the door to getting a ride.

If you're getting off before Killington Ski Resort and didn't already do it on your AT/LT hike you may want to take the tram up to the observation deck where there will be some food and possibly a hot chocolate, beer , etc at the Upper Summit. It's a great panoramic view on a clear crisp fall day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Good late Sept early Oct Fall hike choice well suited for you for a two wk east coast jaunt. As you may already know the lower 100 miles or so of the LT conjoined with the AT is easier. That 100 miles isn't as steep, as rooty, isn't as rocky, is generally wider tread, and largely but not entirely routed through deciduous woods. In the northern 2/3 or so the LT goes steeply at times only a pedestrian can follow directly up and over the state's highest peaks. Don't expect easily graded switchbacks as you find in Colorado such as on the CT that is constructed for multi use. The construction is based on straight up and straight over the peaks. Come ready to hike. All the LT elevation profiles I've seen can be deceptive as that northern half has so many 50 ft or less elev changes that don't show up on the profiles. I suppose you're going SOBO?

I've found the same thing as Orthofingers said particularly in late Sept after a strong growing season and a bit lax of maintenance on the ski runs: "As far as "walk right down a gentle ski run and hit a resort" I've done that and I was shocked at how difficult that can be. Most ski runs from the top of the lifts on that section (where the LT goes) are anything but gentle. What seems like a gentle slope with snow on skis can be much more steep walking. Also, a ski trail that can take you a few minutes to ski top to bottom can take much, much longer to negotiate on foot. But the biggest challenge for me, and one that I had not thought about was hiking through chest-high, thick grass on the slopes. I must have fallen ten times from getting my legs tangled up in the grass (which was actually kind of fun because the grass was so cushioning, you couldn't get hurt)." I'll add some ski runs have loose rocks some the size of basketballs.

Getting back to your question though yes you'll be able to supplement a bit so possibly can afford taking less food at times.

VT has to be one of the friendliest hitch hiker states for hikers. Only in the most touristy areas will you have a harder time finding a hitch from tourists or those from out of state(Naw Yarkers, Bostonites, hoity toity Connectites, etc) with second homes in VT. Vermonters know about their beloved Long Trail. When they see you they will know what you're doing being a hiker hiking the LT and needing a ride. Many times these same folks will stop and offer or ask what you're doing to confirm you're hiking the LT which opens the door to getting a ride.

If you're getting off before Killington Ski Resort and didn't already do it on your AT/LT hike you may want to take the tram up to the observation deck where there will be some food and possibly a hot chocolate, beer , etc at the Upper Summit. It's a great panoramic view on a clear crisp fall day.
    I just got back from a 2-week trip with very little cell coverage, so just getting caught up...

Anyway, thanks for the detailed response DW, and thanks to others as well. I'm really looking forward to this little jaunt! I'll take only slightly less food than normal, enough so that even if I find nothing open, I'll get by. I'm definitely going into Stowe, at least, already got a room booked the 5th night. Gives me some incentive to make 65 miles in 5 days!

thanks again all, about time to go pack....

On one LT thru in 2007 in early Oct the Stowe Mt Resort gondola was not yet running for the skiing season. It's dated info though so you'd best call. I have hitched into Stowe though on that 07 LT hike hiking down Mt Mansfield taking the Hazleton(?) Tr into the Stowe Mt Resort parking lot where I quickly got a ride into the town of Stowe - for a cup of coffee and a hot meal just because I had never been to Stowe at that time, LOL. I've also hitched into the town of Stowe from Hwy 108 near Smugglers Notch(best place to avoid unnecessary elev changes) and from HWY 100. Don't sweat the longish hitches into Stowe from these locations. On that in and out into Stowe coffee is calling "resupply trip" I went down from Mt Mansfield, ate, got juiced up on Joe, hitched both ways and got back to Taft Lodge in 5 hrs or so time.

++ New Posts ++