WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Loop hike

Images

Default Loop hike

Looking for some good feedback about nice hiking loops in SNP. The website has some listed that look interesting.

Anyone with firsthand experience with any advice? I prefer wild trails and solitude.

Looking to hike 3-3 1/2 days. I'm happy at 15-20 miles per day.

Prefer a loop since I'm going solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done several loops in SNP, but usual as overnighters. With the AT as one side, you can put together a lot of different figure eights starting at the top of the mountain, dropping down one side, then back up to the ridge, then down the other side. Get the PATC guidebook for SNP which lists all the side trails and their distances.

You aren't going to find solitude in the Shenandoahs on the weekend. If you want that, I' d go to northern PA and do part or all of of the Quehanna, or Susquehanna, or do all the Black Forest, or Chuck Keiper trails, or go do the Greenridge/C&O loop.

Images

Ok, buzzkill.

I was thinking the same about solitude or the lack of. I hiked the AT through the park in late September and it wasn't too bad. I was hoping the side trails may be less traveled.

Ive done the Black Forest Trail a few times, one of my favorites. My last few hikes have been in that area of PA and was just looking for a change in scenery.

Wishing I had enough time to do the Grafton Loop trail in Maine.

I'm thinking about starting at Thornton Gap and taking the AT south. Would hit all of the sites - Mary's Rock, Stoney Man, Hawksbill - and then loop back on a series of side trails to the East of Skyline Drive. Maybe hit Whiteoak Canyon, skirt Old Rag, Corbin Cabin, and try to get to Pass Mountain.

Can you follow all of that?

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/mapshiking.htm

++ New Posts ++