WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Optimus Crux Stove

I'm shopping around for a lightweight canister stove and i am leaning towards the Optimus Crux Stove. Any one have experience with it?

Or do you know of something better I should consider?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've loved my SnowPeak LiteMax. It's one of the lightest canister stoves available and folds up very small (check the image of the stove in someone's hand).

No experience with the Optimus. The only thing I've got to compare the LiteMax to is the Pocket Rocket.
    When deployed, the Pocket Rocket and LiteMax are about the same size. But the Pocket Rocket leaves your pot sitting on three points, where as the LiteMax has flat arms for much more contact space (seems to make the pot a little more stable) and allows the use of skinner pots the Pocket Rocket might not hold very well.

Looking at manufacturer's specs, it looks like the Optimus can boil faster... but that appears to be due to the fact that the burner is much wider. I don't know for sure, but that sort of makes me think the Optimus could waste heat up the sides of a pot if it is paired with a particularly skinny pot.

The Crux is my favorite canister stove. Very compact, great flame pattern, good heat adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've loved my SnowPeak LiteMax. It's one of the lightest canister stoves available and folds up very small (check the image of the stove in someone's hand).

No experience with the Optimus. The only thing I've got to compare the LiteMax to is the Pocket Rocket.
    When deployed, the Pocket Rocket and LiteMax are about the same size. But the Pocket Rocket leaves your pot sitting on three points, where as the LiteMax has flat arms for much more contact space (seems to make the pot a little more stable) and allows the use of skinner pots the Pocket Rocket might not hold very well.

Looking at manufacturer's specs, it looks like the Optimus can boil faster... but that appears to be due to the fact that the burner is much wider. I don't know for sure, but that sort of makes me think the Optimus could waste heat up the sides of a pot if it is paired with a particularly skinny pot.
    litemax was #2 on my list. Good point about smaller pots. I'll have to take that into consideration.

Any trouble with small/skinny pots? Whats the smallest you have gone?

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    The Crux is my favorite canister stove. Very compact, great flame pattern, good heat adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ach View Post
    The smallest I've used it with is my Primus Li Tech Kettle....~5in diameter. No issues.

I love the crux because it packs up into the dimple in the bottom of the canister, giving you room in the pot for other things. I normally use it with a Olicamp XTS pot or a MSR Titan kettle. I haven't used it on anything smaller. Are you thinking like a Fosters can or something? I have one. I could run a few boil tests tomorrow and see.

No experience w/ the Optimus stove. My current go-to canister stove is the Soto Windmaster stove. It has a concave burner hear w/ a raised rim around the burner that helps shield the flame from the wind. It weighs 2.8 oz w/ the mini-stuff sack, stove, & removable pot support. The piezo igniter has worked perfectly for me every time.

They make a similar stove w/ the pot support permanently affixed to the stove - Amicus. Slightly heavier - 3.1 oz.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

The lightest and smallest option for today is titanium BRS-3000T stove from aliexpess or other Chinese suppliers. It is only 23 grams. And it is cheap too, only $11. Testdby many, it works. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS-...08.0.77.byrHbR

The Optimus is a solid stove. I saw more than I thought I would on the trail this summer (usually paired with the weekender HE pot). I like the way it nests under the canister. I have used this stove against my beloved Soto Windmaster and haven't seen any differences.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    The smallest I've used it with is my Primus Li Tech Kettle....~5in diameter. No issues.
    I wouldn't expect any issues with a typical size pot... which I would label pots in the 4.5" to 5.5" in diameter.
    But if you were using the SnowPeak Mini Silo or the SnowPeak 700ml cup where the diameter is closer to 4", that's where I'd start worrying about losing heat up the sides.
    But the it still depends upon your planned usage. A weekend hike wouldn't mater how much heat you waste as you won't be able to burn all the way thru a 4oz canister in a weekend.

Default Optimus Crux Stove

I've been using the optimus crux, but took a jetboil on my last hike. yes, it's a little heavier, but I'm not going back. I always felt like I had to really be careful so that nothing would tip over with the crux. the jetboil is more stable, easier and faster.

Journal Entries

All depends on pot size.
    But really, no reason for a small solo 2 cup pot to spend more than $15 on a 0.9 oz chinese brs3000

nothing against the Optimus Crux but at around 3oz I wouldn't exactly call it a lightweight. if an ounce matters, check out the Snow Peak Litemax (or identical but cheaper Kovea Supalite) or one of the other recommendations..

For thousands of miles I have used the Optimus Crux Lite with piezo lighter; it has always worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I wouldn't expect any issues with a typical size pot... which I would label pots in the 4.5" to 5.5" in diameter.
    But if you were using the SnowPeak Mini Silo or the SnowPeak 700ml cup where the diameter is closer to 4", that's where I'd start worrying about losing heat up the sides.
    But the it still depends upon your planned usage. A weekend hike wouldn't mater how much heat you waste as you won't be able to burn all the way thru a 4oz canister in a weekend.
    I mostly cook with a Evernew 1000ml pot but sometimes make coffee in a 450ml SnowPeak cup

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    The lightest and smallest option for today is titanium BRS-3000T stove from aliexpess or other Chinese suppliers. It is only 23 grams. And it is cheap too, only $11. Testdby many, it works. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS-...08.0.77.byrHbR
    Crazy cheap... for $11 ill try it regardless

Journal Entries
    Images

I have that stove and you need to be careful with heat exchanger pots and tip hazard. The tripod is tiny and works best with a flat bottom vessel. The OlicampXTS bearly fits on it...but does.
    I like the stove a lot, but not for real cooking, the flame pattern is tiny and makes a hot spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ach View Post
    Crazy cheap... for $11 ill try it regardless
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++